SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best PHP / MySQL Based Shopping Cart?

My web client sells a fairly high end product and needs new shopping cart software. I know there are loads of solutions out there, and I'm hoping you web gurus can help me narrow down the list by recommending some good ones.

His requirements are:

> Easy product management interface (add / modify / remove, including product images and thumbnails)

> Integrates with Authorize.net, his payment processor (+PayPal & Google would be nice, too)

My (more technical) requirements are:

> Based on PHP and MySQL (we're looking for a self-hosted solution) - We also need to connect a third-party inventory management system to the db via PHP.

> Easy to get shopping cart pages to look exactly like his web pages via CSS and HTML tweaks

> Good administrative UI

> Generated page code is W3C compliant (HTML & CSS)

> (Nice to have) Well-documented API

We'd prefer something with a one-time cost (or free!) rather than something with a recurring monthly fee.

I'll tell you that I've used CubeCart and osCommerce in the past with other clients (at their insistence) and found them challenging to work with. Getting them to generate web pages in the client site's look and feel required finding and tweaking many files. And the underlying code looked like it was written back at the dawn of the web (lots of <table> code and other less modern techniques).

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ZenCart is a fork of osCommerce, but their code is quite a bit cleaner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with osCommerce and zencart, but you can add CRE Loaded and magento to the list

oscommerce would be the better call for starters.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using ecart from webassist and for me it is great. You do have to pay for it but it is a once off and well worth the money in my opinion.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I'm the OP) Webassist's eCart *looks* nice (at least the screenshots do) but looking at their FAQ made me think of some other requirements that might eliminate eCart and other solutions:

* We need a multi-lingual shopping cart solution that can easily, quickly, and (hopefully) automatically switch between English and Spanish (just like the static web pages do)

* We need a solution that can support the US dollar, Canadian dollar, and Mexican peso.

While a free solution would be great, it's *OK* if we have to buy software. But in that case, I'd rather go with something that has a one-time upfront cost instead of a monthly fee that goes on forever.

Thanks for the suggestions so far...keep 'em coming!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would second ZenCart. It has good support for templating (which osCommerce lacks) and is a solid and well tested platform by now.

Magento is great for looks, but it is still fairly new and some of the bugs you read about on the forums are still scary - I would give it another year or so for all the early adopters to iron out the glitches.... also Magento is a pretty hefty piece of code and will run considerably slower on a low spec hosting platform.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better you can try for zeuscart which is php-Mysql based shopping cart software and fulfill all your needs.