Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blogger VS Wordpress

HI:
    In Ian's book he describes the process for adding a blog to my site using the Blogger markup. I understand the process. My question is, is the process essentially the same if you use Wordpress for your blog?

Thanks!!

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No it is completely different because blogger blogs are always hosted on blogger where if you have your own hosting you can host your wordpress blog on your hosting itself. That means that all the complexity of linking to an externally hosted blog is gone if you use wordpress and you have as much control over your wordpress blog as you do over the rest of your site.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you go for a 3rd blog provider if it's more simple and better? Paid or free?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said before, Blogger and Wordpress are completely different so they wouldn't be the same

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blogger and Wordpress differ in all sense. Wordpress maybe used as a parent blog to link all the other sub blogs including Blogger.

Maybe its just me, but I think wordpress is the most powerful tool to optimize earning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its difference but if you are using yr own hosting for the blog then a Wordpress blog would be better. Its easy to SEO since you can add a sitemap etc and There are lot of great plugins to give you lot of benefits.

SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluearrow View Post
    Its difference but if you are using yr own hosting for the blog then a Wordpress blog would be better. Its easy to SEO since you can add a sitemap etc and There are lot of great plugins to give you lot of benefits.
    Yup, even I am using wordpress on all of my blogs.
    Its the best wit good features.

- Digital -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been a loyal wordpress user. I am using wordpress for my new blog called Ecommerce Wisdom. I love the all features that wordpress has specially their new version. With wordpress I can control the look and feel of my blog.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people will vote for wordpress because it gives you so much more control over your own content. You can set it up on your own site and however you want in regards to design, content, etc. Blogger doesn't have those features and is more for a beginning blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also suggest using wordpress for your blog. Go with the org version (not the com version). It gives you much more control and has many plugins and themes available for it because of its popularity.
    Terry Loomis - Check out my website building and blogging
    tools at http://www.TJSNorthWoodsMall.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still a blogger newbie, experimenting with Blogger and WordPress both, but I have a couple comments. First, some have suggested that WordPress is better because 1) you can host it on your own site and 2) you have more control over it.

Though I tend to agree, I think this may be somewhat similar to the Opera/Firefox comparison. Like Firefox, WordPress has lots of extras, however, Blogger is similar to Opera in that it has a lot of built in features you might appreciate. You'll never know until you try it.

Some people might further appreciate a blog that isn't hosted on their site. It equals less bandwidth to pay for, for example. But you can modify Blogger so that it APPEARS to be hosted on your site. In other words, you can set it up as a subdomain (or pseudo-subdomain).

I'd also be interested in learning more about the SEO differences. I suspect Google might give a little more weight to Blogger than WordPress. A system that combines WordPress and Blogger both could be a winner.

However, I don't have a favorite yet. I haven't had much time to play with my blogs recently, and I'm sure I have some catching up to do with upgrades, new features and plugins, etc.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question is would you develop on a platform that allows the host to just pull the plug at any time for any reason?

Blogger can be used to leverage campaigns. There is nothing wrong with "getting your feet wet" with blogger. I still have blogger blogs that are years old. I do not use them for Affiliate Marketing. But they can drive traffic.

Blogger can get traffic through their own network with little effort, it may not be much but it's better than nothing.

It really depends on what you are are trying to accomplish. I keep coming across high PR Blogger sites that have a lot of content... so they can be leveraged.

I am also a huge fan of WordPress and do most of my development on WordPress and Joomla.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep according to me wordpress is great. It has great features and I use it on all my blogs.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer wordpress for my blogs. it has a lot of plugin that can be used to optimize my blogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer blogger if I don't have any domain to put up a wordpress blog, why?, because I've been using it for a long time now and already found great things on optimizing it...

SitePoint Enthusiast JoebeeKenobi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually using both at the moment. Our main site has a wordpress blog and ive always been impressed with its flexibility, amount of plugins available and the ease of template adjustment, etc. I've recently setup a blogger blog to try that platform and compare the two. So far I've found blogger very restrictive but after some head bashing have finally got a workable blog up on it. Also, SEO-wise Wordpress is much easier as it has SEO plugins which make your site SEO friendly from the word go. Blogger so far I've had to tweak to get the titles formatted correctly and looks a pain if I want to put custom meta tags for each posting. Will be interesting to compare the two... watch this space!

Joe

SitePoint Enthusiast SpanishNick's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    No it is completely different because blogger blogs are always hosted on blogger where if you have your own hosting you can host your wordpress blog on your hosting itself. That means that all the complexity of linking to an externally hosted blog is gone if you use wordpress and you have as much control over your wordpress blog as you do over the rest of your site.
    It works for us on our main site and more importantly we paid 59 dollars and downloaded a template from Revolutions with was a lifestyle template but we made it into a real estate blog and most people love the look of our blog.

As somebody who is not IT litterate I find wordpress easier to desgin from a look point of view.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is better. I use it and I have more control on my blog

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hands down, Wordpress is better. It's easy to use and there are many free powerful plugins and templates. I am not in favor of hosting on other's web server. Why build something that you have no control over?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blogger and wordpress is pretty much different when it comes to plug-ins. Blogger has a lot of plug-ins compare to wordpress. But it is better to use wordpress since you have the chance to personalized your page and use your own domain name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Wordpress is a open source with lots of features I think wordpress is doing much better for now.
    Dashboard Info

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer wordpress to blogger where i can choose my host and domaind name.
    In Blogger it is very difficult to get the domain name of your choice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i prefer to choose wordpress, free cool stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have another quesiton regarding this. Which of the blog either made in blogspot or made in wordpress will get indexed in search soon? Please reply with some reasons behind it.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme-seo View Post
    I do have another quesiton regarding this. Which of the blog either made in blogspot or made in wordpress will get indexed in search soon? Please reply with some reasons behind it.
    The factors that determine how fast the pages get indexed has nothing to do with what script is used to generate the pages and so the answer is both and neither depending on those other factors.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">