SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft's New Search Engine: Bing

Microsoft will be replacing its Live.com search engine with "Bing" on June 1st.

http://www.bing.com

"The world doesn't need just another search engine, it needs a decision engine."

Video showing off the features of Bing:
    http://www.decisionengine.com

And first reviews:
    CNET - Microsoft Bing: Much better than expected
    Reuters roundup of opinions
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; May 30, 2009 at 04:04.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to be really nice, It will definitly give a tough competition to google and yahoo...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks nice and promising

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like big players are back in the game

I wonder how this will influence SEO branch? Will it be a real competitor to Google?

Think we'll have to wait couple of days to find out.
    Polish folk art collection.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I doubt this will make a dent at all in the search engine market. The 'features' are few and far between - and are easily added to Google's search engine.

If anything, this will be good for Google. Bing has features that Google haven't added before - google now has a free sandbox - if Bing takes some traffic, google can easily implement some similar features until Bing goes the same way as live search.

Of course, until I use it I can't tell, but I think this will be yet another unsuccessful attempt from Microsoft to break into an area that they really don't belong in.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It does sound very promising and it is definately new in the Search Engine arena. I think that for once Microsoft might get it right, if it works as well as it looks. Let's see how it works and how other SE react to this (and above all, Google, of course)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Microsoft will be replacing its Live.com search engine with "Bing" on June 1st.
    When M$ doesn't get something right, it just gives it a new name - Windows/Vista, MSN/Live.com/Bing...

Microsoft's Bing: Powerset's role, market share, brand (and other burning questions)

"5. Is Bing the right brand? Microsoft’s search brands have gone through much iteration: MSN, Live and even side ventures like Ms. Dewey. The problem with Bing is that it’s yet another Microsoft search rebrand. Is Bing really the keeper?"

(My prediction: Yes, Microsoft will finally tire of reinventing the wheel and keep the name Bing, even if it turns into another Encarta. Incidentally, some sources say Bing will be fully deployed on June 3, not June 1.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    "The world doesn't need just another search engine, it needs a decision engine."
    But who in their right mind would want Microsoft making decisions for them?

Bashing Bing, whacking Wave (ComputerWorld)

"Decisions are -- and must be -- based on value judgments. To use Bing is to see the Internet through Microsoft's corporate values."

PREDICTION: Bing's treatment of health/medical searches is going to attract scrutiny and focus more attention on Bill Gates' other mega-corporation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (aka Philanthropists R Us). This could bite Billysoft in the you know what.

Microsoft Bing No Sure Thing

"Microsoft's own research shows that more than 60% of consumers say they are satisfied with existing Internet search engines."

Contrast that with the percentage of consumers who are satisfied with Vista, Internet Explorer or other Microsoft also rans. Can we really trust the boobs who foisted Vista and Zune on the world with Internet search?

Google stole Microsoft’s Bing thunder with Wave (Product Reviews)

A couple notes of irony: One of the biggest complaints about Google's Wave is that it's too Microsoftish (not a compliment). And some are predicting that Bing will do a good job competing against the company M$ wants to assimilate, Yahoo - but not Google.

Maybe that's the plan: Cut Yahoo down to size, making it easier to acquire it. After a fourth name change, Binghoo would then be well positioned to take on Google.

One positive note: Bing nicely complements the name of another Microsoft winner, Zune.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really see from the video what it does that is so ground breaking. But I look forward to trying it out on Monday.

Slightly off-topic: How much does Microsoft spend on purchasing domain names? Every time they launch a new product they always seem to have a really good .com domain name.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @geosite do you have anything good to say *ever* about microsoft?

the site is not even out yet give it a break

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ionix5891 View Post
    @geosite do you have anything good to say *ever* about microsoft?
    Absolutely - it's going downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by ionix5891 View Post
    the site is not even out yet give it a break
    Bing will be online in just a few days and will have plenty of time to show its stuff. In the meantime, I'm hardly the only person criticizing Bing. Check Google News and Blogs.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing earth shaking there i dont think.

They should of called it Waddle.

Hey honey where shall we go tonight? I dont know ill Waddle it.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we're seeing is evolution of search .Think about it...

Go to Google and search for "hotels in london[or wherever]" and see what results you get. The chances are you'll get generic directory listings, doorway pages, and other crud. What these new engines will do is cut out the crud and take you directly to where you want to be.

This will be bigger than people think

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think so.

I think the real level of evolution for search engines is when Artificial Intelligence can create the listings for you, instead of an algorithim.

People are so used to using google, if the other engines dont provide huge benefits i doubt they would change their search habits.
    sds drill through mountains.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    What we're seeing is evolution of search This will be bigger than people think
    I agree, though I don't think Microsoft is going to drive it. Google is far more innovative than Microsoft, though there are other players that may make a splash.

Frankly, I'd welcome the competition. Though I like Google, it has become far too big and powerful. Time for some new blood.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Microsoft have yet to be successful with a non-software based service on the Internet, their new search engine looks pretty much like what google offers (google now has the filtering options natively and of course you can do all those "result" searches like currency conversion or stocks etc already). To be hounest I think Microsoft are just doing what they usually do, take an old system, recycle it, add features to try and keep up with the market leader only to be outdone when the opponant upgrades a month or so down the line... basically, just keep throwing money at it and maybe the problem will solve itself.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Check Google News and Blogs.
    ahem Google news

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this named after Chandler Bing from Friends?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    Is this named after Chandler Bing from Friends?
    Nope, it's probably going to be "badda boom badda bing" from the famous quote... which means that something is complete and finished with

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see what MS has actually accomplished shortly. However, someone upthread hit an important point: Microsoft, like the US Republican Party and so many other failed or failing corporate entities, mistakes marketing ploys such as "rebranding" for actual innovation and hard work. Microsoft still owns a large share of the various computer-related markets, so it's tough to call them a "failed" entity by any measure, but the rest of the observation, I believe, is accurate. I doubt very seriously "Bing" is anything more than a tarted-up LiveSearch. Lipstick on a pig, indeed.

If I'm wrong, good. Google is great, but it's getting hidebound and moribund. Competition might inspire it to shake off some of the complacency and do some real innovation -- or open the door to smaller, hungrier entities that are really and truly innovating.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by RetroNetro; Jul 9, 2009 at 23:07.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL ZUNE! I bought one of those worst thing ever, have to use their crappy mp3 management software, you cant even copy and paste mp3s, i got 20 gig zune, and still use my 1 gig mp3 player.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodFTA View Post
    LOL ZUNE! I bought one of those worst thing ever, have to use their crappy mp3 management software, you cant even copy and paste mp3s, i got 20 gig zune, and still use my 1 gig mp3 player.
    There's no such thing as a 20 gig zune And I love the software. You can't tell me it isn't beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IKPkp5HW-k&fmt=22

Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Incidentally, some sources say Bing will be fully deployed on June 3, not June 1.
    That's correct

Bing will become available on June 1st, but it won't be until June 3rd that they finish pointing all the existing Live.com sites and international variants to Bing

Bing's a strange name, but it's better than "Live". Microsoft really needs a "Chief Naming Officer" who oversees the entire company and can tell the product managers to stop adding "Live" to the end of their product names, or making the names 7 words long.
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; May 30, 2009 at 13:41.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I do not think microsoft can match a google search with your new bing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to this... it will be interesting. They have been doing better on development especially UI development.
    Have a good day.

SitePoint Member FastLionDesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Google is king now. But big corporations don't stay on top forever. Just look at General Motors, Ford and Chrysler. In a capitalist society competition keeps coming at you -- and eventually someone gets it right. So we shouldn't ignore competition to Google just because Google is on top now.

2. Have you seen searchme.com? I loved it the first time I saw it. Seachme does visual searches of pages. It is a great tool for web designers if you want to get a quick look at the basic design of other web sites. Searchme has one disadvantage: it probably is not easily accessible by people with slow internet connections or slow computers. But searchme has me thinking, "Are the boring and plain search results of Google going to be enough for websurfers in the future?" Food for thought.

3. To be successful, Bing needs: (1) good marketing to change our ingrained habits of going to Google; (2) to get off to a good start, without technical problems (Cuil's debut was marred when some searches showed text and images that didn't match up correctly); (3) to be a genuine improvement over Google.
    Fast Lion Design
    www.fastliondesign.com