SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Outlook 2010... will still use Word as the rendering engine!

Microsoft has decided that Outlook 2010 should still use Word to render HTML. A word processor!

At least this is what an article in webpronews claims...

Microsoft has confirmed that they plan to continue using the Word rendering engine to display HTML in Outlook 2010. (Please keep in mind that EVERY OTHER mainstream email client currently used anywhere uses a web browser to render HTML.)
    Sometimes, I do wonder why Microsoft makes decissions that are simply... against everything and everyone else... I wish I could know what they were thinking when they decided this.

For those who build e-mail designs and e-mail campaigns... this is just not good enough.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about non-standard email programs for HTML emails and just make sure your email contains a plain text version as well so that those using antiquated programs can view the palin text version if their program can't display the HTML version properly.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, I'm not worried... I am simply amazed that a company decides to stay behind voluntarily. I simply don't understand what's behind this decision. The only benefit I see is that they're saving money.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like to see all email go back to plaintext anyway, I think e-mail in general is a sorry state of affairs, since they allowed HTML within the email convention its now 95&#37; spam and probably millions of dollars in stolen money through phishing scams or frauds.

Most technologies that suffer this kind of high level of fraudalent activity are usually depecated and thrown on the reject pile.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would think that going back to old plain text is wrong... Spam is going to be there all the time and it will not be reduced for using only text. The reason that there's so much e-mail spam is because it is so cheap! Not much to do with the format.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook is almost exclusively used at work places, especially large businesses.

It's not even part of the home/student versions of Microsoft Office.

At a business, the number of people that can benefit from copying and pasting from Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. into an e-mail to a colleague is probably 99-to-1 versus the benefit of being able to send and receive HTML mails with full CSS support.

Same can be said about being able to compose the e-mails with the same familiar toolbars the user sees in all their other Office applications.

This is a productivity application like the entire Office suite, and the integration with other Office applications is way more useful to employee productivity than perfect HTML mail support.

This is also how Outlook 2007 already works. Microsoft would be stupid to listen to a bunch of Twittering web designers that don't even use Outlook over the real end users' needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I would think that going back to old plain text is wrong... Spam is going to be there all the time and it will not be reduced for using only text. The reason that there's so much e-mail spam is because it is so cheap! Not much to do with the format.
    Actually with HTML email came the ability for the spammers to go "fishing", they could gather details about the individual and test to see if the email account was active and exists, the second the email is opened... that way unlike with text email they didn't need to rely on buying email lists or relying on luck to whether the user clicked the link. The problem is epidemic because of the inherent benefits that HTML gave spammers.

PS: I use Microsoft Outlook 2007 happily, though I do understand the problems that email marketers face, probably why I don't dare go into that area

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    The problem is epidemic because of the inherent benefits that HTML gave spammers.
    You would get just as much spam whether html was allowed in e-mails or not.

There's no correlation there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure, now the spam problem has become so bad, but it still remains that the introduction of HTML email and the start of spam to this level do seem to co-inside.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    This is also how Outlook 2007 already works. Microsoft would be stupid to listen to a bunch of Twittering web designers that don't even use Outlook over the real end users' needs.
    These are the same companies that only use IE6 because their applications are centered around Microsoft products, something they probably regret now that the web is moving forward.

Microsoft is stupid for listening to web designers? LOL. As IE is losing market share hand over first I can see they are benefiting from doing that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    At a business, the number of people that can benefit from copying and pasting from Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. into an e-mail to a colleague is probably 99-to-1 versus the benefit of being able to send and receive HTML mails with full CSS support.
    Ugh, there is nothing worse than getting "a spreadsheet" from someone in an email that's nothing but a big OLE object image embedded in the message. Especially when you're supposed to pull the data from said "spreadsheet".

edit: I also laugh every time I see an xbox live email because they ask Outlook 2007 users to click a link and view a webpage rather than reading the message in Outlook.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone petitioned Gmail to improve there rendering of HTML?
    As far as I can tell Gmail's HTML email support is much worse.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Actually with HTML email came the ability for the spammers to go "fishing", they could gather details about the individual and test to see if the email account was active and exists, the second the email is opened... that way unlike with text email they didn't need to rely on buying email lists or relying on luck to whether the user clicked the link.
    That only applies where the email program allows linked images in the HTML email. Emails done using HTML and embedded images have no such problem. All email programs allow linked images to be turned off and most have that setting as the default meaning that the spammers gain no benefit from using HTML emails to find out when people view their spam. Of course a lot of legitimate emails are incorrectly created using linked rather than embedded images which is why so many emails have problems with not displaying properly in any email program.

Where HTML emails do make a difference is with fake web sites that are linked to from the email where those not careful enough to check where the link is actually taking them end up on a different site to where they expected. That's why people are usually told not to click on links in emails (since that always works and is much easier to say than it is to provide instructions for all the different email programs on howe to check the actual address a link takes you to before you click on it).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">