Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free web hosting

hi all,

i have seen one website ad on internet, offering free web hosting for 1 year (500 mb) with the purchase of any domain name.

I would like to confirm. Is these types of Ads are original or they are offering a fake offer (hidden cost). Because as i know, the domain hosting cost is very high as compare to buy a domain...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!!!

Sidsam

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can reasonably expect the quality/quantity and/or features of the hosting service, to match the price you're paying.

Back a few years ago, it was not an uncommon offer to sell domain registration for $20 or so, and give a smallish hosting account for the year too. I can't say I've seen any of those providers becoming household names.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could be third level domain names.
    If you want you can ask the same question on the freewebspace forums. I know a lot of experts there and they will be able to prove or not if there any hidden fees for the particular web host

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can by domain name in one place and have free web hosting account in another place so as you can see no hidden fees here
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking to go ahead with this offer, make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully.

100% Uptime Cloud Hosting
    || Dedicated Servers
    Email :: sales @ eUKhost.com
    Complete Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they keep the ownership of the domain I don't think it worth it.If they decide to take the domain back one day you loose everything. Free Hosting is great ! I use few good few hosting accounts with my paid hosting but never those Free domain offers unless if they are TLDS and I get the ownership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That could be a bonus (free domain name) and as far as I have noticed that as rule comes with reseller account and you can use domain name and have that is renewed for you by your web hosting company as lonng as you are using them
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be careful. You get what you pay for a lot of times.

Do your homework on the host and ask lots of questions. {snip}

Hope all goes well for you with them.
    Last edited by dklynn; Aug 11, 2009 at 00:14. Reason: Self-promotion?
    In2net Network Inc. www.in2net.com : Providing Service Since 1996
    Quick Sales Response - info@in2net.com
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting from $9.95/mo
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,

There are also some web hosting sites which facilitate a number of articles and web hosting reviews and ensure that information is being updated constantly. Highly efficient and independent web hosting reviews will save huge time and help you in considering best price rates. Moreover, these sites offer a splendid prospect to acquire inclusive direct data web hosting solutions and also provide a great option for those who are searching for premier and best web hosts that will custom fit the requirements of intenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Well, you will find many hosting providers offering free web hosting services. However, most of these hosting providers will place some ads on your website if you choose their hosting services.

If you have seen this kind of advertisement on a website, it might be possible that the web hosting provider is offering domain name registration at a very high cost so that he can earn enough money for providing 500 mb hosting services also.

Otherwise, it might be possible that the hosting provider will provide you with the domain and the hosting services at a reasonable cost but will ask you to place advertisements of his website on your website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you will find many hosting providers offering free web hosting services. However, most of these hosting providers will place some ads on your website if you choose their hosting services.
    Also you might be asked to post on the web site which nelong to the web hosting provider you are with
    Web Hosting, colocation,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidsam View Post
    i have seen one website ad on internet, offering free web hosting for 1 year (500 mb) with the purchase of any domain name.

I would like to confirm. Is these types of Ads are original or they are offering a fake offer (hidden cost). Because as i know, the domain hosting cost is very high as compare to buy a domain...
    1. Never get tempted with free offers - there is nothing free in this world of money
    2. If anything is free, its cost is added in another thing.
    3. Free hosting must be avoided for maany good reasons.
    3. free domaains means you loose your right on the domains.

These are just few guidelines but there are many more

Good luck

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Free hosting is usually the most expensive hosting option there is as they limit what you can do with the site. In most cases they claim the advertising income which in many cases can be several times what you'd pay for dedicated hosting.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Free hosting is usually the most expensive hosting option there is as they limit what you can do with the site. In most cases they claim the advertising income which in many cases can be several times what you'd pay for dedicated hosting.
    I completely agree with this. When a decent hosting account is available for just $12 / years, there is no reason to go for a free hosting service.

Well, their ad revenue is much much larger than what paid hosting account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewebhostingdir View Post
    I completely agree with this. When a decent hosting account is available for just $12 / years, there is no reason to go for a free hosting service.

Well, their ad revenue is much much larger than what paid hosting account.
    You get what you pay for... If there is non huge web hosting packages included I assume that might be good account but if that is overloaded and overselling one - you might have the problems once you decide to use that in full
    Web Hosting, colocation,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are talking about limedomains which they are giving free host and if you are hosting for small purpose then it is good and look for the upgrade option plus price.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Like sb225, even I think you're talking about LimeDomains since I see their ads quite frequently on the Internet.

One of my friends had purchased a domain name from this company and his website is running well. It's hosted on their web server. He really got free hosting for one year. He is quite happy with their uninterrupted services. He has even placed Google Adsense on his website and he is quite impressed with the fact that in spite of free hosting, the site runs quite fast and he is making a good money online.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    You can by domain name in one place and have free web hosting account in another place so as you can see no hidden fees here
    Agreed.
    I always buy my domains from an established registrar,
    and host elsewhere.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

You will also find hosting providers who register domains through an established registrar and hence you can register the domain name with the hosting provider so that you do not have to contact 2 different companies in case of any issues.

Also, if you register domains with the hosting provider, you won't have to contact your domain name registrar to update nameservers etc. which will save your time and efforts.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See i say never go for free hosting service ever! There is no accoutability at all, no garauntee that they would maintain it, not sure whether they will close it down, and to top that, there is not security of your data.

so instead pay and get webhosting always.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you register domains with the hosting provider, you won't have to contact your domain name registrar to update nameservers etc. which will save your time and efforts.
    True, but if the host vanishes, you will bang your head against the wall when you realise that you can't control your domain anymore, and you have to fight to get it back.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    free webhost isn't great. depends what u use it for i guess. good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, mostly free web hosting plan are included with very limited features only. It is ok to host basic website or testing your web application online.
    It is still advisable to go for a paid hosting provider because every penny spend will worth it with complete hosting features and also the supports that you're about to get.
    Cheers!
    Roy
    Tagged on latest ASP.NET Hosting technologies and features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking About Lime domains?
    If yes, Then they can offer it because they have good name in Web.
    But, You have also much limitation here at this hosting.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    True, but if the host vanishes, you will bang your head against the wall when you realise that you can't control your domain anymore, and you have to fight to get it back.
    Yes, that's correct. Some of the hosting companies vanish after some time which is certainly a bad news for all the customers (if any )

However, there are hosting companies which have been in the web hosting industry from a very long time and one can register domains with them. No doubt, there is a risk, however, in this case, it's minimum