SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your fav. book for CSS

Hi.

What is your favorite book for css? Any that you like, whether for beginners or advanced programmers.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a book really necessary? CSS is not a programming language or anything, it's just a really basic syntax. Why not use online tutorials?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cascading Style Sheets 2.0 by Eric A. Meyer or the original specs. at the w3c website.

cheers

alastair

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel a lot, and without a laptop, thus a good book on CSS besides Churchill's writings would also help.

Originally posted by Dan Grossman
    Is a book really necessary? CSS is not a programming language or anything, it's just a really basic syntax. Why not use online tutorials?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't go wrong with O'Reilly - unless you hire the contractor to do some work on your hotel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O'Reilly is probably the most complete, all-encompassing, but hardly qualifies as a gripping read for beginners.

The Quickstart guide to CSS and DHTML for the WWW was quite a good one, as I recall, for beginners. However, as with a lot of books you'll find that some of the content doesn't actually hold true 'in the the real world' - an example being the suggestion of using white-space in CSS instead of nowrap attributes or non-breking spaces in HTML. Fine in theory, but not exactly well supported (but do they tell you this?)

O'Reilly is a good travelling companion (I prefer Bill Bryson myself), but you really can't beat forums like this - they tell you what the books never can!
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some apparently really good CSS books cpoming out at the moment that concentrate on using CSS for layout (as well as all the basics). I strongly recommend picking up one of those - Eric Meyer has a new one out, as does the guy from www.glish.com - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...379377-2253459

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard the Eric Meyer book will be an excellent one. If you can still find it, "A Designers Guide to Stylesheets" by Steven Mulder (the guy who did the Webmonkey CSS Tutorials) is a fantastic book.
    I believe it's out of print though you might be able to still find it around.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

Eric Meyer's new book comes out on the 28th according to Amazon.

Also, the glish.com one with Eric Costello looks nice. Going to see which one I order from the two of them.

Originally posted by Skunk
    There are some apparently really good CSS books cpoming out at the moment that concentrate on using CSS for layout (as well as all the basics). I strongly recommend picking up one of those - Eric Meyer has a new one out, as does the guy from www.glish.com - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...379377-2253459

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

It was out of print and in limited availability. Back-ordered it through Amazon. Thanks for that.

Will keep looking for more.

Originally posted by creole
    I've heard the Eric Meyer book will be an excellent one. If you can still find it, "A Designers Guide to Stylesheets" by Steven Mulder (the guy who did the Webmonkey CSS Tutorials) is a fantastic book.
    I believe it's out of print though you might be able to still find it around.