User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FrontPage 2000 and PHP

Hello,

I'm just starting to learn PHP & MySQL and all this database managing lingo. Up to now I've been working with FP 2000 (I hear a few snickers). Is PHP compatible with FP 2000? What are my options (if any)?

Thanks,

William:

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you cannot code php, asp mySQL or what ever language as it will only complicate things.

Front page is the worst one learn to write this out by hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they're not compatible. The best thing that you (in my opinion) can do if you want to integrate PHP into your pages is to learn HTML along with it and drop Frontpage.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for your sobering answers, fortunately I know some HTML, but I guess I'll have to delve into it deeper if I want to integrate PHP and MySQL into my pages.-- I may be grasping for air here but...would it be possible to design the basic layout of the page in FP, then export it out and integrate the PHP code and rename it with a PHP extension?

William

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    course, but you will still need to alter the structure etc

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver does PHP, I think.
    -Jonathan
    Webmaster, The Aviation Forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got DW3 and it handles PHP okay. You can open files and in the WYSIWYG editor you only see the HTML. Probably messes up the PHP a little bit if you try to edit via the visual editor, though. Maybe DW4 has better support, but what's Ultradev? Isn't that for server-side files?

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver 4 doesn't have built-in support for php, but Dreamweaver MX does! It also supports use of mysql databases...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never understood how a WYSIWYG editor can support a server-side language. Server-side is invisible... HTML is visible... huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually it doesn't support it in that way.

dreamweaver mx, allows you to connect to your mySQL connection, and create scripts as it has a few built in commands it doesn't actually do much as it gives you code to do very little.

dreamweaver mx suppports or allows for limited tags in

asp
    asp.net
    coldfusion
    jsp
    php

whilst allowing you to connect to mySQL

it also has built in scripts which you can implement for

javascript which yopu can add to a library

very handy

oh it does support xml as they call it, but not much, well not at all really.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frontpage transer

-Recently downloaded trial version of Dreamweaver mx.

- Also, I just started with php and mysql.

So, you can't save a Frontpage file with the .php extension. Meaning you can't really do php in Frontpage html, right? Even though php has the design of working within html. I have seen php on Frontpage live sites. How'd they do it?

Looking in to Frontpage asp's, since my site is in Frontpage to keep things simple, Microsoft support page says Xp/asp's are not supported with the home edition and needs to be upgraded to pro if I understand it correctly. (and I though Xp was an upgrade from Windows 98')

Anyway, mx has prowess along with many options from what I can tell. Sometimes it is nice and helpful to know what those options mean.

Transferrring files over may be a different story as now being viewed in mx (but in fairness note; mx download version may be a cut version and files were created in Frontpage remember). Just beginning to look at it, my pages view rather scattered with hyperlinks missing, tables and cells shifted. I was hoping for more of an exact changeover since some of these pages come up among search engine results. -Sometimes hard to duplicate from scratch again.

Reaching back in to the past, odd as it seems, Frontage did automatically added/overlay tables onto my pages by itself which Microsoft tech support could neither account for or explain. Their simple interface can be deceiving.

So it may be wise to remove any javascipt before resaving if you go with mx (verify this!).

According to macromedia, the only alternation for resaving files to mx may be with javascipt which Frontpage does alter. This there is no reason to doubt.