User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question do you use such software?

Hi all

I would like to have control over my pc from other locations and i was wondering if anyone had a good experience with any software so far...ideally i would like the power on function, in case the power goes off from any reasons.
    I am using Vista Ultimate 32 bits.
    thank you

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PC Anywhere and Logmein.

Right now, I am using logmein most. I used to use PC Anywhere a few years ago. As far as I know, the power on function can't be done. You can reboot your pc from any location and ask the software to re-connect you after the pc has been restarted, but there is no way that you can turn on a computer if it is off. You can only wake it up if the computer is in sleep mode.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never turn my PCs off and power does not fail here (4 blocks from the White House, 1 failure in the last 25 years), so I don't have the whole boot problem. If I did, I would use my VPN (you do have a VPN to your house/office, right?) and the standard wake on lan functionality to fire off the box. Another good option would be setting up your BIOS to automatically reboot on power failure. Also, if the power outages are not lengthly, you could invest in a UPS which would also be very good at insulating the PC from other power issues--like power surges.

As far as connectivity, Vista Ultimate has Remote Desktop already baked in. I would run with that over any third party solution, most of those give me the heebie jeebies security-wise.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most Windows versions since XP have some kind of remote control, and not only Vista. You may want to try that first. After all, that comes with Windows so you already paid for it.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^That would be Remote Desktop (aka Terminal Services back in the NT days). Avaliability-wise, you get it on 2000 Server, XP Pro, Server 2003, Server 2008 and Vista Business or better. Not sure about Windows 7, but I'd suspect it is similar to Vista. I probably spend too much time with Windows SKUs.

It won't let you boot a machine remotely, but you can login remotely with a generally smooth experience. I should know, I probably spend more than 50% of my time in front of a PC using said package.