User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

setting up a DSN for MySQL db on winXP?

I have been tying to set up a dsn for my db so that I can connect to it, but for some reason I can never get windows to find the MySQL server, I am trying to install a MySQL Server driver. I know that MySQL is installed b/c I can create a db and set up tables. I am using dreamweaver to connect to my db but again I am not sure if I need to set one up like you have to for an Access db. Help!!! thanks

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have MyODBC installed as well? If not you will need to download this and install it. Then you can make a DSN to connect to your database.

However you do not need this to connect from a PHP script. Maybe a little more on your setup would help. What version webserver are you using? What are you scripting with?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I am using IIS5 and I am using the PHP MySLQ server model. I did not have MyODBC installed which is what I will do next. thanks again

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well still having same issue, I windows will not let me install MyODBC even after i downloaded the latest version of MDAC from microsoft. any ideas, i actually need a dsn for dreamweaver to make the connection to the database otherwise it does not know how to connect to it, or have i glossed over a detail that would have saved me the last 2 days searching for an answer?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you download the latest version of the Jet Engine Drivers as well? As of MDAC 2.6, JET was no longer included in that download and is available in another download.

Are you using 2000 or XP?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello again, well lets see, no i did not know that you had to get the Jet engine as well, why has this become so complicated? so I will get those drivers next. I gave up on my local machine and got a db set up on my whp space, and again i am runing into a ton of problems, i was able to successfully create a db and some tables and populate the rows, I am again still trying to usin DreamweaverMX to connect to my hosted sql svr but i keep getting errors saying that my login to the virtual server is denined. the host is running Linux w/ Appache, I am using the Cpanel by dark orb if that helps any. I used MyPHPAdmin to do the db setup and it gave me some code to throw in my page for the conString I was able to successfully connect or connect w/ out errors by testing the page, no querries have been run yet, so i am guessing that it works, I can not get Dreamweaver to conect using www.surgecenter.com as my host, any help would be appreciated.