Thread: What To Do!!???

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What To Do!!???

Hi Guys

I am normally asking questions in the CSS and Design forums, but this time I am stuck with a strange problem with my WinXP computer. I didn't know where else to post this, so I am posting it here now. Please Help.

I have an assembled WinXP computer(without the Windows original recovery disc), XP came pre-installed. Now when I start my pc, the splash screen shows up, and it reboots again and again like this, I can't even switch the pc off unless I take out the cables off the wall. I can reach the BIOS though. However, I cannot reach my hard drive as the BIOS doesn't take me there, its just wanting to reboot on and on.
    I have been able to find that the exact problem is: "STOP: c000022 {Bad Image Checksum}
    The image kernel32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

I have googled every possible link but couldn't find a straight-forward solution, that's because, when I go to the dos menu using F8, I cannot boot in safe mode, and the 'rebooting using command prompt' doesn't work either. When I try the 'rebooting using command prompt', the pc simply gives some lines of dos text, and then continues rebooting without giving me any chance to interact/type-in anything. Hence its obvious the BIOS is not responding to those commands.

Further on, just after the splash screen and before starting to reboot, my monitor shows 'No Signal Detected' on a small blue rectangle and then it proceeds to reboot.
    I have also tried to reboot using a pirated xp boot cd, it doesn't seem to recognise that either(although the light goes on as if the disc is being read from) and then the pc ignores the cd and continues to reboot from hard drive. I wouldn't even mind completely re-formatting my computer, but its not stopping to ask me to reformat!

I think if someone can tell me how to put the kernel32.dll in my system32, it will solve the problem.

Any suggestions and help will be Highly Appreciated. PLEASE PLEASE Help.
    Thanks Guys.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to change your BIOS settings to set the CD as the first boot device

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    You need to change your BIOS settings to set the CD as the first boot device
    Thanks for your reply Dan.
    I have tried that already, the CD starts to roll (as I can see a green light go on) but than the BIOS seems to proceed to boot from the second boot device, which is the hard drive, and so the process goes in circles.
    Any further suggestions most welcome.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does your CD boot normally on other computers?

As to replacing kernel32.dll, you should be able to connect the drive to another computer using an external bay, or directly to the motherboard, and copy over the file.

If you are able to recover from this, make haste in copying your important files to somewhere else and then replace the drive.

If not, remove the drive and set it aside while you build a new system on a new drive, then attach as above and copy over your files.

This is all assuming the problem isn't with your mainboard...have you had any serious electrical storms in the area lately?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushiku View Post
    Does your CD boot normally on other computers?

As to replacing kernel32.dll, you should be able to connect the drive to another computer using an external bay, or directly to the motherboard, and copy over the file.

If you are able to recover from this, make haste in copying your important files to somewhere else and then replace the drive.

If not, remove the drive and set it aside while you build a new system on a new drive, then attach as above and copy over your files.

This is all assuming the problem isn't with your mainboard...have you had any serious electrical storms in the area lately?
    The CD is from a trusted source and works on other computers.
    I am not a technical person and wouldn't know how to connect a pc with a drive or a motherboard. Secondly, I do not have another pc to do that.
    Though I find it interesting to know that can be done. How does one connect a hard drive of one pc to another pc? Sounds interesting.

We hardly have any storms throughout the year.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voyager13 View Post
    Though I find it interesting to know that can be done. How does one connect a hard drive of one pc to another pc? Sounds interesting.
    There's a cable (either IDE or SATA) with one end plugged into the hard drive and one end plugged into the computer's motherboard. PC components are virtually all interchangeable, you can put them in any computer.

When you buy a brand name computer, they usually only built the case and maybe the motherboard, all the rest of the components are name brand parts you could buy yourself and put together too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been able to get an original Windows XP from a pal and tried booting from the cd rom as my first boot device, this is what I got:
    1. HD System Type-(0F)
    Missing operating system

Any idea what to do from here?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that if you are not able to do a software reload, the next thing to look for is maybe replacing the motherboard of the machine.
    Cutting edge technology news http://www.innovation-weekly.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry this won't help with your boot problem, but it's a tidbit of information that might be a piece of the puzzle or useful eventually.

I was recently in correspondence with someone who'd just managed to remove several serious problems from their Windows (XP, I think) computer, including Trojans and a rootkit.

kernel32.dll was one of the files that had been corrupted, presumably by the rootkit.

-----

I have one suggestion, which you shouldn't do until someone else comments on it. I've never done it and don't know if a PC can boot without a hard drive in it, even if it's a nonfunctional one.

You could try disconnecting the hard drive from the motherboard (unplug the data cable from back of hard drive) and booting from the Windows CD. If that succeeds, it seems to me that would strongly suggest that the motherboard is ok and that the problem is with data that is being read from the hard drive, maybe even something as low-level as what is read while it is being detected.

However, you said you're not a technical person, so the best solution really might be to take the computer to a repair shop. It sounds to me like the solution, whatever it turns out to be, is going to involve a lot of technical fiddling.

I think rushiku is right that you're going to have to get or make a PC that does boot properly, then install your current hard drive in it for a data copying procedure. You could "get" a bootable PC by buying a new blank hard drive and a copy of Windows XP, and install both on your current PC while the old drive is out of it. Then install a good quality antivirus program, install the old hard drive as a secondary HD, and try to copy the data. The AV program is so that the new HD doesn't get infected, if an infection is the original source of the problem.