SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web technology gatherings, good for learning, or a waste of money?

I'm talking about the conferences that invite people to learn more about their web-related profession, so usually attendance tickets are priced in a range usually meant for professionals. If there are some people here that have attended such a conference I'd like to hear your experience from it.

Here's an example of one:
    http://aneventapart.com/about/

I've posted this question in a different forum. So far the responses there have been that they're a waste of money. However, it might be due to the fact that in that forum, a much greater percentage of people code websites only as a hobby and most still go to school. So their view on it is "why pay lots of money when there are plenty of good online articles and tutorials for free".

Another person says that the web design conferences at his university will do just as well, and they are free to attend. So are these gatherings organized by the "big boys" of the web industry usually just for people to show off and not much for learning? I am trying to understand the skepticism behind paying money for such events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it very much depends upon who the hosts are of an event. Take the one you have linked to for instance; I would love to go to that one and am going to try to get to the October one in Chicago now that I know about it. I don't think it would be possible to spend a couple of days with Eric Meyer and Jeffrey Zeldman without learning a great deal and putting yourself ahead of the game. Many of the others are rip offs with no-hopers spewing out the same old same old; you are not going to learn a great deal at those except maybe how to doodle.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would love to visit some technology gatherings except the price point is quite a hefty one (I guess because of the speakers quality) but I do agree that it depends on the speaker, personally I would attend (with an unlimited budget) any confrence with Jeffery Zeldman, Andy Budd, Eric Meyer, Paul Boag, Jeremy Keith (perhaps even Jakob Nielson if I could get past his cynicism ) I think there are a lot of good speakers out there but you need to make sure of what you are getting out of it (what stuff they cover), after all confrences usually have a lot of fresh ideas and workshops you can get involved in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish we have web conferences in our place, I would have attended one. Learning a thing or two from other web pros is really something. There may be some new contacts for business as well
    sig space open...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone told me they're mostly only good if you're one of the special guests that the events are centered around (in that it looks great on a resume and capable of getting tenure). But he didn't mention anything beyond that.