SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of knowledgable posters here. Why don't you ask here?

------------------
    http://www.CandMWebDesign.com - The best in web site design, maintenance, marketing, and development

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Basically, I'm a shopping cart newbie. I need to set up a cart and take credit cards online. So my basic understanding is this......I first set up a cgi-shopping cart, (the order form of which will live on my secure server)and somewhere in the config files it gives me a place to plug in my "authorizing agent" (who I need to set up an account with)who will receive the transaction, authorize the charge, and (eventually, after taking a sizeable nut) deposit the funds in my merchant account at my bank. The cart will also email me a copy of the order for fulfilment. Do I have that right? So, my host offers me Miva Merchant, who is partnered with CardService International...are they any good? Seem a bit steep to me. ($60/month+%+transaction fee) My other option is to manually process the cards using my existing acct, but how can I get the shopping cart to email me the order using PGP or some other encryption? Any thoughts? Hope I made some sense....

[This message has been edited by joseph jaminet (edited January 26, 2000).]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your problem is simply to send a secure email to yourself (with cc#, order, customer info etc.) then both ASP and PHP offer easy encryption function you can use to secure your email before sending it to yourself.

Christian

------------------
    Axie automatically performs free, customizable searches for new
    websites and delivers the links to members by personalized email.
    http://www.axie.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a forum or board out there dedicated to the ins & outs of e-commerce, specifically, shopping cart integrations, merchant accounts, etc.? I'm in need of some basic answers.....thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do NOT go with Card Service. I am with them and have dealt with them for a few years, unfortunately. They have terrible customer service. They try to ripp you off whenever possible and they are expensive. You would probably be better off with anyone else.

------------------
    Courtesy of http://www.lingeriemonthly.com lingerie subscription service delivered to her door, gift wrapped and enclosed with a romantic note.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephanie,

It's good to see you back. Did you ever get that frame problem solved? It doesn't really belong in this forum, but I am curious.

Anyway, can you tell me more about Card Service? Is their website at http://www.cswcom.com? Please tell me more, as I am thinking about opening an account with them. More importantly, I don't want to turn one of my clients on to them and it turn out to be a bad deal.

Thanks,
    Mike

------------------
    http://www.CandMWebDesign.com - The best in web site design, maintenance, marketing, and development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm in the middle of resloving the frames issue by moving to a new server right now. As far as Card Service, they have problems throughout the company in almost every department. It all started for me with a deceitful sales person five years ago, whom I refuse to deal with. Then they would charge me $50 fees for things that were definately their mistake (too long to get into). Then I had the option of suspending my service to reactivate my account at a later date. I was supposed to notify them of the later date. Well, they took upon themselves to start statement fees (even though their was no bank account set up on my end to pull these fees from) and never notified me. When I went to reactivate my account, they said I owed $450.00 in fees! I argued till I was blue in the face and even had a copy of my original letter of my request for suspension, which is now in th process of being sent certified mail to the President of this incompitent comapany. Their customer service people are the rudest I have ever come across and no EVER returns your phone calls. It is extremely frustrating and they will be very sweet to get you to sign up, but once you have, its every man for himself...your on your own. Do not recommend them to people, they will be very unhappy.

------------------
    Courtesy of http://www.lingeriemonthly.com lingerie subscription service delivered to her door, gift wrapped and enclosed with a romantic note.

Chicken
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Yikes! Was just about to see what they were all about, and BOOM.. saw this post. Somehow I don't get that you're a problem customer (one that natuarally gripes and complains), so I will take your word for it.

What about Authorize.net? I was thinking of going through a company (charge.com), which uses them as the cc processing agent (you get what I mean?).

Either way, I also was wondering what the best/cheapest way to take orders was. Mine would be subscription based non-tang. internet svcs. I realize this isn't something that gets you the best deal (so I have heard this is about the highest risk catagory).

Any advice or random babble would be appreciated!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info

------------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like alot of the web hosting companies contract with Card Service. I've contacted a couple web hosting agencies (Hostpro and Hostway) and haven't been impressed with their sales staff. Any suggestions out there regarding web hosting agencies offering e-commerce? Is it possible to get a site with the cost of e-commerce for $50 or less (including online shopping cart, credit card processing, and merchant account)?

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to post your question in the hosting forum. I think that your question would get a better response there.

And as fas as I know, no, you can't. If you can I would like to find out about it.

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the alt.ecommere forum in Usenet. It's starting to get spammed by MLM'ers and 'buy MY solution' types, but if you are specific in your query (and stating what you DON'T want), you might get some help.

------------------
    TigerTom
    ~>http://www.tigertom.com/merchant.htm

[This message has been edited by Tiger_Tom (edited February 01, 2000).]

Chicken
    SitePoint Community Guest
    While you would think you could, you are cutting your price close. Meaning, that given the fact that if you are not going to buy CC processing software you will be leasing it for $20-40 a month. Right there, you are in deep doo.

Let's skip that for a sec and just go with the other fees: $10/mo for merchant account statement (typical), simple shopping carts may be free but some may include license fees ($5/mo ish). Then a host - what do you expect to pay? Decent=$15-30/mo. You may also need a secure cert. (one time).

I don't know, but this seems close. I offer hosting but don't think I could do a total package for $50.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I'm running out of steam tonight so I'll gloss over this a little.

$60/month is a rip-off. I think they charge this so they can give a cut to all of their resellers.

Almost all merchant account companies will try to get you to lease or purchase software. This could range from a couple of hundred on the low end to over a thousand dollars which is more common.

Don't ever sign a lease! If things don't work out for you, you'll still have to fork over the cash.

I have a merchant account through Costco. If there is one near you, check them out.

I have no monthly fees. I paid a $100 membership fee (executive membership).

The software cost $180.00 (cheapest I found)

$25.00 application fee.

Like I said, no monthly fee. 2.6% transaction (which went up the week before I signed, and I think it is even higher now).
    Plus there is a .28 cents per transaction fee.

I proces the orders by phone manually. They allow cybercash accounts for an extra hundred bucks or so, plus there is a monthly fee for it.

Well I lost my train of thought for the night. I'll check back tomorrow night to see if there is anything else I can help with.

-WebRunner

-WebRunner

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creative Consultant, you asked, "Is it possible to get a site with the cost of e-commerce for $50 or less (including online shopping cart, credit card processing, and merchant account)?"

Yes, if you need a simple storefront that is limited in design.

Check out bigstep.com, they will give you a free storefront and add cc processing for the lowest fee I've seen.

-Webrunner