SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash vs Java Applet for binary clock...

Hi, just looking for some advice re whether or not to develop a binary clock for my website in Java or Flash. It's easily something that Flash could do - would be a small file (2-3k) and would load quickly - slight downside would be that it wouldn't work on the iphone due to the lack of Flash support, however that is not too crucial as it's just a small (decorative really) part of the website and does not contain any functionality.

This could also be done quite easily as a Java applet. I've coded in java before, but I've never actually developed or used an applet on a website. Is this fairly outdated now, except for situations where you need Java's power - unlike a simple binary clock. Also, would developing the clock in Java would mean it would be compatible with the iphone? Haven't been able to find out definitively if this is the case.

Any thoughts, pros & cons would be most welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an iPhone but I don't think it supports Java applets. But it does support Javascript (as far as I know) so why not code your clock in Javascript if not with Flash.

Off Topic:

I recently designed a simple clock in flash for a friend's blog.
    http://bozuksaat.com/
    The domain name means "faulty clock" in Turkish
    Tweep List adds an avatar menu to Twitter (open source)
    Word Stats shows your most used words on Twitter

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been playing around with some javascript binary clocks, but I want to show the time changing second by second and these clocks seem to cause loading issues, whereas the flash version I've set up doesn't have this problem. Not entirely sure how the Javascript Date object differs from Actionscript's equivalent, but the flash binary clock is working much more smoothly than the javascript versions i've tried. I might just go ahead with the flash clock - i could have a default static image then use swfobject to replace it if flash is available, at least this way i'd still have the graphical element on the iphone etc.

Nice clock btw!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not tried but I believe it can be smoothly handled with javascript as well. If iPhone support is important to you, then you can degrade from flash to a javascript clock first then to an image last.
    Tweep List adds an avatar menu to Twitter (open source)
    Word Stats shows your most used words on Twitter

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want your page displayed in mobile phones maybe java is better, if you want it for all the web and mobile phones arent that important flash might be the way, nowdays almost everybody has flash.