User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opera Unite released

With Opera 10, we are introducing a new technology called Opera Unite, radically extending what you are able to do online. Opera Unite harnesses the power of today's fast connections and hardware, allowing all of us to help define the future landscape of the Web, one computer at a time.
    Opera Unite

This really looks ambitious and could very well reinvent the Web as we know it.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just Another Social Networking Thingie. But I'm happy for your guys, have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Just Another Social Networking Thingie.
    Only if you have a very limited imagination.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't had enough time yet to give a fuller explanation of my thoughts, but it looks very interesting. I'd like to sit down and look at the developer spec at some point too, as it appears Opera is encouraging devs to build for it.

Another interesting aspect to this is of course it works Opera to Opera , so perhaps they are providing some carrot for their current user-base to encourage their friends to use Opera also?

Integrated and extendable

Simply enable Opera Unite when you start Opera, and you are ready to go. Find and install services with one click from our online catalog or easily create your own by using Web standards like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SVG and AJAX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I'd like to sit down and look at the developer spec at some point too, as it appears Opera is encouraging devs to build for it.
    They're relying on it. Apps is what's going to make this big. So far it's just an alpha release and they provide a few simple apps (mostly related to social networking, as Poes said). But that's just a start.

Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Another interesting aspect to this is of course it works Opera to Opera , so perhaps they are providing some carrot for their current user-base to encourage their friends to use Opera also?
    If I understand correctly, it only needs Opera for running the services. You can access them from any standards-compliant browser. Some things, like the Jukebox, would require all participants to use Opera, In suppose, since each would need to run their own Unite service.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I couldn't resist having a play with it, and already I'm floored by the possibilities.

I did manage to read just enough to figure out that what I was saying before was partially wrong as Tommy points out. Some services might have to be O2O, but in the case of the 'fridge' app it works simply by making your personal unite url available via the integrated web server.

Genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been perusing the developer guidelines, and it seems rather straightforward. It's essentially a Widget on steroids. I think I'll have to download this tonight and start playing ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll confess up front I've only read this thread, not the linked item

How does this differ from Addons that Firefox offers?
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a Firefox extension that let's you use Firefox as a web server? If so, I've never heard of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refer the honourable gentleman to my opening statement.

Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well add-ons are just that, adding some functionality to the set of browser features.

Opera Unite is not add-ons, although it is possible for devs to create services around Unite.

The basis of Unite is your browser acting as a mini-server, whereby you can share your documents etc effectively over the web, without having to upload anything. This is just what is here in this alpha, later I'm sure more ingenious uses will be found for it.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Opera is one of the most powerful browsers out there. It's one of the few browsers that supports the most selectors in CSS3. You can search for plug-ins and add ons very easily using the buttons on the left-hand side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Opera, and am still surprised that more people don't use it. The face gestures looks interesting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNxbyp6thM
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    I love Opera, and am still surprised that more people don't use it. The face gestures looks interesting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNxbyp6thM
    Opera is great. I use FF for development and Opera and Chrome for quick surfing. I must say, all browsers have their purpose for me. It's just I am struggling to find one for IE. Face gestures, I am not that kind of person, but yep, Opera still rules.

Take a look at this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiVIt...eature=related

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    That was an April-fools day prank?!

Either you are trying to catch out a few unsuspecting members with a repeat of the gag, or it convinced you.

Actually, if it wasn't for the fact that I saw it on April 1st, the tone of the video is serious enough to think it was true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Opera for frequent times.. I feel it easy and friendly enough. But the features provided by FF is still different and quite easy rather than that of Opera.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    I must say, all browsers have their purpose for me. It's just I am struggling to find one for IE.
    Two words... bug testing.

Either way thanks for the awsome link Tommy, I think its a stroke of genius for the idea of "self-hosted micro apps", just being able to strap new functionality directly into a server platform run directly within the browser. I have had a quick browse around and its definately up there with Google wave in terms of innovation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @aartig: Why don't you use Firefox Unite then? Oh wait, there isn't one ...

Please keep the 'my browser is better than your browser' fluff out of this thread and let's focus the discussion on the Opera Unite service. Please.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool, although there are plenty of people with upstream speeds that won't cut it. File sharing is quite the chore when your upload speed is only .3 megabits/sec...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Holy cow man! That is freakin sweet!

All those improvements and Tommy yet browses with images turned off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Akash, one of our bloggers, gave a writeup here.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I understand the whole concept. I can see great use of it in file sharing and transmitting messages. The only problem is that Opera will always have to be running on your machine, and accidentally closing it can cause huge problems, particularly if you are using it to host something like a website. Large servers have a job, and their main job is always to be on.

Currently my ISP is very bad as it disconnects. Can you see where I am getting at. The whole concept is creating a series of negative variables.

In the time of Kazaa and Morpheus there was p2p file sharing, but those application normalized the files, by grouping them to more than one user. So in-case one user disconnected the file will still be d/loading from another user.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting concept. The model definitiely gives the sysadmin in me some security heebie jeebies. But I'm glad to see that Opera has not given up on innovation and competition.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm really dense... but I'm having trouble understanding the entire spectrum of this innovation. One aspect of this innovation is having peer2peer like possibilities, yes? Doesn't that open a whole new can of worms in terms of piracy or am I barking up the wrong tree? Are Opera relying on people's morals/ethical values and good will? Doesn't this innovation make piracy all the more easy and convenient for those who're inclined to take advantage of these things?

I haven't played with the alpha yet, so perhaps my question is obsolete.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure I understand why it is being touted as being revolutionary.

Two usage I can think of immediately are:

For file sharing:
    How is it any different from something like DC++ and other file sharing apps except that it is built right into the browser.

For (reportedly) serving web pages:
    Why would I even want to serve a web page from my laptop that remains turned off half of time and is on a humbly modest connection. Especially when I can easily use a more reliable cloud hosting for absolutely no cost and with no more than a few clicks.

On the top of this my ISP makes it explicitly clear in the TOS that I cannot host a server of any flavor on the internet connection I have subscribed to. Sure I can get away with it very easily but it is still a violation.