SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back to work on old sites - yay or nay?

Hi,

I'm looking back on a few sites I worked on 2-3 years ago and thinking how differently I could have done them. This includes the actual public sites along with CMS 'Admin' areas.

Things like improving the HTML/CSS, and also the general cleanliness of the server-side coding. Surely a good sign to see I've progressed in that time.

However, I'm consdering rejigging these given the chance.
    Should I bother, even if I'm not being paid?
    Just so I'd feel better if another developer takes over my role and thinks the coding looks a bit...well, slap-dash.

What's your thoughts, do you ever go back on old work and improve it?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if I'm adding new functionality of some sort and doing both together (adding and refactoring) would touch the same code.

I wouldn't bother going back and rewriting code just for the heck of it. That time would be better spent doing something with material results.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use to only repair code if I was visiting the website for an update. Sometimes repairing code only takes a few minutes if you have the right foundations.

Don't we normally have to visit sites from time to site to make sure they work on new browsers. For instance many of my sites wrongly rendered overflow in Chrome, and I had to go back and repair the problem.