SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High CTR Wordpress Themes

Lately I've noticed several blogs being auctioned in the Marketplace with high AdSense click through rates. These seem to be really simple Wordpress themes. One example is http://home-loan-modifications.info/. Does anyone know what theme they are using for this site?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno but I reloaded the page about 50 times. I'm sure that will help their click through rates. Then I went ahead and reported them as an MFA site. Hope that helps somehow. Exactly what the NET needs less of. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume it has a high click through rate because there isn't much else on the page but ads and text.

Information about WordPress themes can be found in their style.css file:
    Theme Name: Nat-Mortgage

Theme URI: http://www.masonworld.com

Version: 1.01

Author: NicheAdsenseThemes.com

Author URI: http://www.NicheAdsenseThemes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingIQ View Post
    I dunno but I reloaded the page about 50 times. I'm sure that will help their click through rates.
    Huh? 'Click through' refers to clicking on the ads, not reloading the page. You didn't achieve anything by reloading the page apart from sucking up bandwidth and skewing their site statistics.

Then I went ahead and reported them as an MFA site. Hope that helps somehow. Exactly what the NET needs less of. Thanks for sharing.
    I don't think Google will care that someone has made a site with the purpose of gathering revenue from ads. What they care about is sites which do not serve any other purpose. That site is clearly attempting to be informative about home load modifications. So I'm pretty sure Google will quite rightly ignore your report unless there is something untoward going on with the site, but from what I saw it looks totally legit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a google search on some of the page text and it appears to be original, so not only is it potentially helpful content, but is also entirely original (at least according to Google anyway). The text is written well enough that I don't think it has been obfuscated in any way either.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno but I reloaded the page about 50 times. I'm sure that will help their click through rates. Then I went ahead and reported them as an MFA site. Hope that helps somehow. Exactly what the NET needs less of. Thanks for sharing.
    Don't you have anything better to do with your time than wasting it on a fruitless thing like that? The website is providing information so I don't see why you need to be so bitter over that?
    Domain Name Coupon Codes for popular registers
    Web Hosting Coupon Codes save on website hosting

SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that CTR depends upon themes.
    It depends upon the best way and place to place your ads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_shubhi View Post
    I disagree. A theme which is designed to give a good CTR is bound to give better returns than one which isn't.

I assume very bland boring themes probably give the best CTR's.

Of course, high CTR's are not always a good thing. That often means that your site looks boring and so people are clicking on your ads instead of reading your content.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think CTR didn't depends upon times so.... :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan, thanks for the tip - never thought to look at the style.css file. I agree that the right theme can have a big impact on CTR. I've also noticed that the simpler the theme, the higher the CTR. Which can be good or bad, depending on what you're after.

SitePoint Member Pub_Perfection's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

What a great question. I just went to the site you linked to in your first post and all I see are G adverts. Nothing else. That may be a temporary thing but as it stands, thats a violation of the TOS. You gotta have content.

Thoughts and I am by no means trying to be scientific. Design does matter. In the old days it didn't matter.

(1) Less is better. Simple without a lot of distractions in the design

(2) Quality Content which adds value to the visitor and the adverts are close to the content and the money makers are above the fold at the top. NOT way down on the bottom of the page which takes 10 scrolls to reach.

(3) If it's a sales page then no leaks. Either kick the tires and purchase or leave. Maybe bookmark and return

(4) Sticky sites like a Forum have a new set of challenges and in my experience when a direct sale advert is first launched and thus new, a CTR of say 4% is almost the norm. As the days go by, that CTR heads down hill in a hurry Change out those creatives frequently.

NOTE: A high CTR in a site for sale could just be pie in the sky or a cheater trying to sell before they get caught.

I would love to see some more examples

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pub: from reading the auction questions for http://home-loan-modifications.info, it looks like this template has a bug in IE which makes it only show the ads and not the text. If you view the site in a different browser you should see the text.

Another site that was recently auctioned that had high CTR was www.moneycrashers.com. Again, it used a pretty simple template.

SitePoint Member Pub_Perfection's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks and correct you are. LOL............create a Theme with a Bug which eliminates all of your content for around 70% of the world and you raise your CTR. Who am I to say otherwise.

I'm not surprised with the claims of the second site. Given the financial crisis we are in, it's a hot niche and the adverts are well placed. Lots of folks trying to save money and cut back so they are looking and clicking.

The niche or the Theme? Or Both? I think it's both.

Can we pick on or should I say opine the rock star by the name of:

s h o e m o n e y . c o m

sorry about above, I'm still a newbie with low post counts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I guess that's what MarketingIQ was talking about before, would have been helpful to mention it though.

Are they using conditionals or browser sniffing to do that? If it's browser sniffing then it is possible Google wouldn't notice. I assume they're able to track conditionals fairly easily though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about the site other than what's in the auction listing and questions. From what I can see it's a bug in the template - I doubt they are actively doing browser sniffing. As you know, IE can choke on certain html errors while other browsers handle it fine.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_shubhi View Post
    Which would be built into the theme...

[offtopic]

Am I the only one who finds it creepy men use pictures of teenage girls in their avatars?

[/offtopic]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For people who can't see what I see...

"http://home-loan-modifications.info/"

"http://tipsforloanmodifications.com/"

If something smells fishy... there might be fish near by. But I get it you all are just trying to be helpful.

The reality is this type of site is a nuisance and a hindrance to people. When I search for content related to a subject I want to find real content... not some POS made for adsense site. If not for Adsense would this even exist?

Why not just make one site on every topic then copy it over and over a million times!

Pure rubbish! Made for Adsense Web Spam.