SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help/job Life Coach

I will get my linux + cert first then my CCNA. That's a good plan?

I will attend ACC. Im moving from Louisiana..... I want experience and more knowledge. I want to learn something everyday. I was thinking get my linux + cert first find a entry level job. While working continuing gong to ACC for my CCNA. You think this a good path? I want to utilize them two certs I get.

I dont wanna be a cert storer. You know dont use them..

I just want a breath through the door.

Possibly work for the government . Something that I can do from my wheelchair..
    Those certs look flexible and growthy.

Or should I consider MCITP MCDBA MCAD or MCSD
    ?

I just need direction.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What/where is ACC?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin college

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin Texas is the home of the SxSW Conference each year - be sure to check it out at sxsw dot com... you'll get plenty of inspiration.

It's more so about Web 2.0 and new media - and indie MUSIC - than about networking per se - but the latest and greatest and hottest technologies will be featured in talks and booths and you can really get a good feel for where the industry is headed and what technologies will be in demand going forward.

Contact the SxSW planning committee and get on their list of volunteers, or even paid staff, for getting the annual conference pulled together - or find out who they contract with locally for services. Anything you can do to get in the door and involved, the more tech-related the better, will be good for building your resume.

I took IT classes at a community college and was disappointed, they were teaching outdated technology and I had learned more on my own.

That said, PLAY THE GAME, get your degree, and it will open MANY doors for you. Don't stop learning on your own, don't depend on your classes to give you all that you need to know... take on volunteer projects, get your hands dirty, learn by doing as much as possible.

If you have a curious mind and want to learn everything you can about your chosen field, nothing will slow you down.

Also - pay attention to your grammar in written communications. I know this is just a forum board where we all tend to get sloppy about such things, but in the end day, grammar can make the difference between getting a job and missing out on an opportunity.

ALWAYS put your best foot forward - do your best.

As far as specific certs are concerned, read the want ads in your area and see what employers are looking for in certifications, that will give you a clue as to which direction you will want to focus your energies.

What you learn on your own will probably pay more than what you learn from a class. Look into the Head First series of books.