SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting output on TV - damn you Vista...or LG

The crux: I am trying to get my Vista laptop to output on my LG digital TV. Cords all plugged in. Laptop is seeing TV in NVIDIA Control Panel, but I can't get anything up on screen except NO SIGNAL. I am opting for Input>Component 1 with the TV remote. Any suggestions? The other options are Digital (TV), Analog (TV), AV1 (no signal). Hope someone can help.
    My other problem, is that when tooling about in the NVIDIA control panel, at one stage I opted to output to the TV only. However (dumbass), the TV doesn't function at present. So, now when I plug in the TV cable, the laptop screen goes blank. Classic catch-22. How do I change this setting? The simplest way would be to fix problem A, so I can fix problem B myself.
    Hint #23: you will find homefriday just as useful on Thursday.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't your laptop have one of those buttons that switches what displays are active? It's usually a special function key (hold Fn + press one of the top row buttons). That'd fix problem B.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you right click on the desktop, click Personalization -> Display Settings. Then you should see both "monitors" in the diagram. You can right click on them to set them active and drag them to how it matches your setup physically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Dan. It did fix B.
    For anyone interested in the other problem, it was a matter of selecting RGB-PC on the TV, which then showed "invalid format". This was solved by getting the correct screen resolution setting.
    For the record, LG helpline were not much chop when it came to this. Struggled to find the correct information, several stints on hold with such excruciating music that I wanted to voluntarily perforate my own eardrum and in the end they gave me the wrong screen settings anyway - had to find it myself through trial and error. Life may be Good, but the info wasn't!!
    Hint #23: you will find homefriday just as useful on Thursday.