SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard dragonfly_7456's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WAP not compatible with new phones - what can I do?

Hello,

I have never programmed sites for WAP devices before, so I have one big question about compatibility.

I have built a WAP site that works perfectly on old phones that support WAP. However, these .wml files don't load on standard HTML browsers. So, when using a new phone, such as the iphone, which has a standard Safari browser, the WAP page does not load, it simply shows the wml code (just like on any desktop browser).

So my question is about compatibility. I was looking to do sms advertising, but now I realize that the link will be the same for all phones. However, if I send the link to a WAP page, new HTML phones won't read the page, and vice-versa, if I send a link to an HTML page, old WAP phones won't read it (or at least I'm under the impression that they won't...).

Does anyone know how to go about this problem? Thank you!
    Content Writing Service - Get custom SEO articles for 10$

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, you should direct users from iPhone, Opera Mini devices et al to a different URL which is optimised for mobile phones (or to your main homepage if it is optimised) unfortunately there is simply no way to get around the fact that WML and HTML serve entirely different markets for the mobile platform and you cannot as you pointed out have one loading the other. In essence you need to simply advertise both links...

wap.yoururl.com
    m.yoururl.com (or mobile.yoururl.com)

Whatever convention you used you have no alternative but to give both addresses out, you could always advertise the mobile one (HTML) by default as it is the future and say "wap URL for older handsets", that way the visitors can determine what works for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that idea. That could definitely make things work.

There is no meta redirect analogy for WML, correct? Because a redirect based on browser version might also be a solution, if redirection is even possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well actually, one way you could work around it (thinking out loud here) is to use the HTTP_ACCEPT header in .htaccess (like you would use to determine if XHTML is supported) and do a query so if WAP is supported, PHP redirect to WML, if not, direct to HTML... a little rough I know but the concept is sound and it may work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're definitely on to something there.

Here is something I found on topic:
    http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/channels/wap/expert/

In such case something like this will work:
    <&#37;
    if InStr(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_ACCEPT"), "wml") then
    Response.Redirect("index.wml")
    else
    Response.Redirect("index.html")
    end if
    %>

But that is if, and only if all of these old phones are sending a "WML" mime-type. Any idea if that's actually the case?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a mobile site or three, and we never bothered with WAP. Even the ancient phones we tested on could support basic HTML (paragraphs, links, etc). Really no point to it all IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_7456 View Post
    But that is if, and only if all of these old phones are sending a "WML" mime-type. Any idea if that's actually the case?
    Phones which do not support HTML will inherently be based solely on WAP-WML and therefore should only give the WML mime type, it may require some investigation to see if that applies to all handsets but I see no reason why the case would be anything other than that.

text/vnd.wap.wml
    text/vnd.wap.wmlscript
    image/vnd.wap.wbmp

Those three are MIME types commonly used within WAP/WML so perhaps it's worth checking against those?