SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best eCommerce Platform for digital goods?

I have 30,000 digital goods. Each will sell for $9.95, and is about 2 megs each.

I can host the products, but want a site and ecommerce software to handle shopping cart, digital downloads, and analytics.

Yahoo stores looks decent. Does anyone have experience with ecommerce solutions they could highly recommend?

I want my site to look modern. Many of the ecommerce "demo stores" are very cheesy looking.

Thanks all! Chris

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure you pick one that allows you to separate the hosting of the product data from the hosting of the files. Otherwise you may be up for a hefty bandwidth depending on your site volume.

Amazon ec2 is worth a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are few "demo stores" with modern webdesign, try this templates templates

SitePoint Evangelist adesignrsa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by penn31 View Post
    I have 30,000 digital goods. Each will sell for $9.95, and is about 2 megs each.

I can host the products, but want a site and ecommerce software to handle shopping cart, digital downloads, and analytics.

Yahoo stores looks decent. Does anyone have experience with ecommerce solutions they could highly recommend?

I want my site to look modern. Many of the ecommerce "demo stores" are very cheesy looking.

Thanks all! Chris
    My opinion would be to base your decision more on the functionality of a system and see if it covers what you need it to do. As Opal mentions, you will be best off with a separate host for the actual media, but make sure the system sufficiently secures the files to prevent your shoppers merely sending the link to their friends... and at worst, that link going viral.

Demo stores are generally used to illustrate functionality and allow you to have a look at the codebase (where available).

Also with that size catalogue, make sure you can import your product data easily, else we'll hear back from you in July when you've finished adding them
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try Digital River's Global Commerce Platform.

It's not free, but will fulfill all your requirements very easily and effectively, by creating an online store for your digital products.

http://corporate.digitalriver.com/st...globalCommerce
    Last edited by dchopda; Feb 1, 2011 at 07:06. Reason: More data

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With PayPro EasyCommerce platform you can easily sell digital goods.
    Secure Unlimited Sub-Domains
    with Wildcard SSL from ClickSSL.com
    Trusted SSL Certificate Provider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 2 meg file is actually quite small so you could have the shoppingcart deliver the file for you via their digital delivery system and then you would not have to do anything yourself.
    PremiumWebCart
    Memberships, Up Sell, Affiliate, CRM, Project Mgr, See More