0 Thread(s)

Advice on starting a community

I would like to start a community based site with the following:

-Articles
    -Forum
    -Poll
    -Link Directory
    -Support/FAQ section

What would the best backend be, Joomla? Are there modules for what I want to do and could I use phpbb3?

One last question, does anyone know of any sites that sell Joomla templates with a matching PHPBB3 template?

Thanks,
    AC

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not buy vbulletin or ipb and then use their free basic templates for your static pages, makes intergration very easy.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try use IPBoard forum. PHPbb is not good I think.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slappy12 View Post
    Why not buy vbulletin or ipb and then use their free basic templates for your static pages, makes intergration very easy.
    I was wondering if VB would be an option. I am just wondering how I would do the things like a directory, and articles. I am also not sure what you mean by the free basic template. I want the entire site to have the same look and feel.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the templates we use you just tick the box to include header and footer, check the box for either php, text or html really easy to use, this is what they are called, Logician's WebTemplates v.3.6.02 probably other versions for vb as this we installed a couple of years ago.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wikipedia is a good example of community. Together one can carry out so much more.. For starting a community you must to follow simple steps. For community first you set up a goal. You give name and describe your community. Choose a security level & an optional directory category and invite people to join.

SitePoint Enthusiast de_natalia1984's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andwise View Post
    I would like to start a community based site with the following:

-Articles
    -Forum
    -Poll
    -Link Directory
    -Support/FAQ section

What would the best backend be, Joomla? Are there modules for what I want to do and could I use phpbb3?

One last question, does anyone know of any sites that sell Joomla templates with a matching PHPBB3 template?

Thanks,
    AC
    I think for these, you can use PHPBB3 and VBulletin... They are good for forum
    My personal site ~ Dewi Wihardja
    Please have a look and join my page here
    Follow my Twitter...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everyone who replied in this thread didnt read the post carefully .....

-Articles - joomla has this already in built ...
    -Forum - http://www.kunena.com/ a forum made especially for joomla ... has user integration with joomla and them integration
    -Poll - joomla has it inbuilt
    -Link Directory - u mean sitemap ..... i guess .... or else the link directory will just be a page with html links .....
    -Support/FAQ section - faq will be just another page with text .... support could be with tickets so for that http://extensions.joomla.org/extensi...sk/151/details

SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think you should use Vbulletin.
    It looks good as well as its easy to use.

- Digital -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBulletin will do what you want.

My site, AdminAddict has most of those. Go to the site and look at the tabs at the top: You'll see a forum, a link directory, and a very nice articles interface.

vBulletin has polling functionality built in.
    And you can use vBulletin's built-in FAQ system for your support section. Or you can find an add-on that offers more flexibility.
    Best Regards,
    Nick
    AdminAddict

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My social community is embedded in my main wordpress based site as a separate section. Its based on elgg 1.5 and i've been very happy with it so far. Its still a work in progress, but the base code and easy plugin system allowed me to install the first version over one weekend. I would definitely recommend it.

Take a look if you are interested, its a site specifically for Internet marketers, advertising, MLM etc.. http://EasyNetSuccess.com/community

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress with plugins?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use vbulletin and start an adult one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend vBulletin. It's a bit of an upfront cost, but definitely worth it in the long-term if you're going to be around for a while.
    + Carbonmade - Easiest way to display and manage your portfolio.
    + Burstoid - Design magazine.

+ twitter/spencerfry

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend Drupal - it is a fully-fledged cms with great community support. Nothing against vBulletin - that'd do the job as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest vbulletin for the forum. Its the best with plugins for sure. For the other you got to check some professional scripts or maybe a special developed one for professional useage and look.

Good luck with your new project.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like PHPbb this is a good article about what to think about before you start a community http://www.developer-resource.com/be...-community.htm (there are some additional ones on the bottom)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use Vbulletin
    the benefit of using it ,extral one , besides all the tech one--it is mature one and has many users
    so when u get any problems, u could get advice from amy other users

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vbulletin + vbadvanced + articles mod = FTW!

vbadvanced homepage example: www.lapgamer.com
    vbulletin forums example: www.lapgamer.com/forums.php
    vbulletin /w articles mod example: http://www.lapgamer.com/articles-how...ng-laptop.html
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB. View Post

vbulletin /w articles mod example: http://www.lapgamer.com/articles-how...ng-laptop.html

I think this quote says it all, but I'll add this anyway, ,I just stepped my forum up to vBulletin from MyBB and once you are licensed there is a ton of VERY versatile mods and hacks that can be added as well as styles and themes all for free, or you can also buy some premiums one's but I have not found any need to purchase anything more to do what you want to do, there is a whole cms add on, and articles mods, as well as a real link directory mod that will allow your members, after earning their way if you choose so, to submit their links in the form of resources for others, and this works very well.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have money to spend then use Vbulletin and with paid template it will definetly works also look for a good host.or else go with fphbb3 or mybb

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziplok View Post
    My social community is embedded in my main wordpress based site as a separate section. Its based on elgg 1.5 and i've been very happy with it so far. Its still a work in progress, but the base code and easy plugin system allowed me to install the first version over one weekend. I would definitely recommend it.
    Take a look if you are interested, its a site specifically for Internet marketers, advertising, MLM etc.. http://EasyNetSuccess.com/community
    Nicely done... good idea too. ellg seams nice, but is there a way to make it look different ? Maybe having only member profiles, their photos and videos, a forum where thay can share (no wire, etc) ?

Quote Originally Posted by LarsK View Post
    I'd recommend Drupal - it is a fully-fledged cms with great community support. Nothing against vBulletin - that'd do the job as well.
    Drupal seams nice, but their forum is not super and making a community ask to add like 20+ modules to it... ishhh for updates !?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB. View Post
    vB is a good forum option... but all sites using vB all look the same, really, ALL of them !! This is no attraction to me and their vbadvanced is good but way to crowded for me, not simplified enough, and makes me think of core-not-modified- joomla :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revv86 View Post
    vB is a good forum option... but all sites using vB all look the same, really, ALL of them !! This is no attraction to me and their vbadvanced is good but way to crowded for me, not simplified enough, and makes me think of core-not-modified- joomla :-)
    Yes, they all do pretty much look the same. But here's a question: Have you stopped visiting all of them because of this?

vBulletin's superior functionality far outweighs its ancient appearance.
    Best Regards,
    Nick
    AdminAddict

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickR25 View Post
    Yes, they all do pretty much look the same. But here's a question: Have you stopped visiting all of them because of this?
    not at all. when i like a forum, no matter wich plateform it uses or what is design is, i use the forum...
    -> but i am use to "forums" already.
    I think that first-time forum-users can be less attracted to start using it (personal toughs), than a super clean and simple and direct-to-the-point design. That was mostly my point.

SitePoint Enthusiast freakme619's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revv86 View Post
    not at all. when i like a forum, no matter wich plateform it uses or what is design is, i use the forum...
    -> but i am use to "forums" already.
    I think that first-time forum-users can be less attracted to start using it (personal toughs), than a super clean and simple and direct-to-the-point design. That was mostly my point.
    Well,I would like to suggest you to start from scratch, ummmm, using PHP,MYSQL will do in forums. The simple your design is the way much better. Just make sure the functionalities work properly with no bug.
    I love musics