SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hosting question - what is required from me?

Hi!

I am currently with a free host and have a subdomain with them. I have a domain registered with 123reg.co.uk.

I have a POP3 mailbox with 123reg.co.uk.

I currently have web forwarding set up (frames!!) so mydomain.com points to the free hosts subdomain.

I would simply like to do the following:

1)Point my new registered domain to the free host's subdomain (where my website is) without web forwarding and frames.

-Do i simply change the nameservers to the free host's nameservers?
    -Will the DNS settings change automatically? Or do i require the IP's for the A records etc for the free host?

2)I would like to keep the POP3 mailbox i have with my 123reg.co.uk account, so is it possible to KEEP the MX settings/email account active (in 123reg's Control Panel, and STILL change the nameservers in hope that it points towards my freehost?

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks for your help.
    www.automatedbots.com
    Automated bots - Roulette Bots, Poker Bots, Business process bots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you use free hosting, sometimes the provider places some frames on your website. My advice is just to pay for web hosting. Otherwise DNs do not change automatically, you should change them.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know that is called domain name forwarding. Just specify that from your web hosting company and install for your domain name
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at our three main web hosting plans, the Mini, the Midi and the Maxi. Whatever your needs, one of these packages should suit your needs. The Mini is the ideal cheap hosting package for a personal site, or a start up business. The Midi offers more capacity, with web hosting ideal for a group or club or growing business. The Maxi Hosting Plan is great for business hosting and ecommerce hosting.Just check this link in signature.

SitePoint Enthusiast WindowsHosting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

1. It depends if you free hosting supports that, because they should configure the website host header.
    2. Yes, it's possible just to change your DNS host records and to keep your MX settings.

Regards
    Find Free ASP.NET hosting information and resources at http://www.windowshostingasp.net.