SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57
  1. #26
    SitePoint Member nufoundglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdgp View Post
    Looks nice but the fees are way too high. Well, high enough to get me to crack open my search tool to start looking for other places to buy/sell this type of thing anyway.
    I agree. But i've liked sitepoint marketplace too much to leave it. Seriously, startup sites sometimes don't even sell for $200. Sometimes it's much lower, like below $100. The fee of $19 plus success fee, noob sellers who aim to sell smaller and startup sites like me will find it a pain.

  2. #27
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've no objection to the price hike, provided some benefit comes from it, such as more of an actual service?

    While any buyer should do their "due dilligence", some actual effort to remove or prevent the somewhat garbage listings would be nice, along with more pro-active efforts to ensure sites are what they claim to be. Basically offer more of an actual service, then charge $50.

    If the higher prices pushes out some of the dross it will also be a good thing, but not if there is no change or benefit.


    D.

  3. #28
    SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the plan dippingtoe, we plan to raise the bar across the board. We're building a professional marketplace here. Higher prices, yes, but higher quality listings and more support for buyers and sellers.
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

  4. #29
    SitePoint Addict hiddenpearls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really a nice marketplace but what if u also include selling scripts etc.

  5. #30
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good

    Any chance it will be something like Rentacoder, where once a transaction is taking place the 2 parties have their own private thread or message depository? Perhaps asking a bit much but the way it's done there, anything written is considered part of the contract and they handle escrow.

    In contrast the current site-buying system is somewhat basic, any old listings and buyer beware kind of thing.

    Something to think about for the future perhaps?



    Alan (D.)

  6. #31
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the listings are fake - you won't be charged anything.

  7. #32
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Expert_Speaks View Post
    All the listings are fake - you won't be charged anything.
    That's why it's a beta test. Once the site goes live, the fake listings will be removed and replaced with real listings posted by actual site users.

  8. #33
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any word on how you are going to deal with fraudulent buyers?

    From what I've heard, sellers are still charged a success fee of 5% regardless if the buyer backs out or is fraudulent. Is this true?

  9. #34
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO this is dumb. You should fix up the current marketplace instead of doing flippa. Using the domain name flippa IMO seems like all the sites you sell is going to be flipped for profit. I don't know about other webmasters, but when i sell a site, I atleast want know that he ain't just gonna flip the site and resell for a measly profit while potentially destroying the web site or community there.

    Charge a 5% success fee up to 500 dollars? Why?
    FlyffWorld.com - Online Gaming MMORPG
    AdTalks.com - Publisher/Advertising Network Review
    Cursors - Cursors-4U.com

  10. #35
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you guys are being so hush-hush about this? Every time the question gets asked we get a incredibly vague answer with no explanation.

    How are you going to handle the 5% success fee with so many fraudulent or shady buyers out there. Nobody is going to list their website on flippa if they get charged 5% when the buyer just backed out.

    I have an incredibly large circle of friends who use sitepoint and they all agree this will be a game breaker for them (meaning they will take their business elsewhere).

    If you could just shed some light on this issue I'm sure it would clear things up for all of us. Thanks.

  11. #36
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamWB View Post
    I don't understand why you guys are being so hush-hush about this? Every time the question gets asked we get a incredibly vague answer with no explanation.

    How are you going to handle the 5% success fee with so many fraudulent or shady buyers out there. Nobody is going to list their website on flippa if they get charged 5% when the buyer just backed out.

    I have an incredibly large circle of friends who use sitepoint and they all agree this will be a game breaker for them (meaning they will take their business elsewhere).

    If you could just shed some light on this issue I'm sure it would clear things up for all of us. Thanks.
    I'm very curious about this as well. Will flippa handle an on-site escrow service as well?

  12. #37
    Team SitePoint
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamWB View Post
    I don't understand why you guys are being so hush-hush about this? Every time the question gets asked we get a incredibly vague answer with no explanation.

    How are you going to handle the 5% success fee with so many fraudulent or shady buyers out there. Nobody is going to list their website on flippa if they get charged 5% when the buyer just backed out.
    Adam, we'd really like to protect sellers from shady buyers. However, what we have to consider as a marketplace is that there are many shady sellers out there as well, from whom buyers deserve to be protected.

    When a buyer disappears without paying, you'll definitely be forgiven the success fee. However, when the buyer refuses to pay because they dispute that the seller is supplying what they advertised, then it's a more complicated situation. In this situation, we can't possibly provide an iron-clad guarantee that the seller is forgiven the success fee, as they may be at fault. However, we'll mediate the dispute as much as possible.

    Most users aren't angels, but we'll do our best to protect those who act in good faith.

  13. #38
    SitePoint Member Tavicu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harbottle View Post
    That will remain on sitepoint.com. Only the website sales will be moved to flippa.com. The marketplace tab on sitepoint.com will remain as classified listings for anything and everything related to web design and development.
    and the Templates Auction?

    Taxes are too high to sell just a theme!
    We well have a small profit!
    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly!

  14. #39
    SitePoint Member zymic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very web 2.0 cliche I must say though.

  15. #40
    SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavicu View Post
    and the Templates Auction?

    Taxes are too high to sell just a theme!
    We well have a small profit!
    Templates for Sale is a classifieds category, will remain on SitePoint.com, and will not have a success fee associated with it.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

  16. #41
    SitePoint Member Tavicu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mickiewicz View Post
    Templates for Sale is a classifieds category, will remain on SitePoint.com, and will not have a success fee associated with it.

    Not "Templates for Sale" ... "Templates Auction" category ...
    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly!

  17. #42
    SitePoint Member nufoundglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Slutzkin View Post
    When a buyer disappears without paying, you'll definitely be forgiven the success fee. However, when the buyer refuses to pay because they dispute that the seller is supplying what they advertised, then it's a more complicated situation. In this situation, we can't possibly provide an iron-clad guarantee that the seller is forgiven the success fee, as they may be at fault. However, we'll mediate the dispute as much as possible.
    How would you know a buyer isn't making a false claim? Like, say, a buyer just wants to get his hands on the site's database, or scripts, and once the seller sends him those, he's making a claim that it's not like what the seller promised. In this case, seller is considered the bad guy and he still has to pay the "success fee". On the other hand, the buyer gets what he wants, and doesn't spend a dime to get it. How is this seller protected? At least right now the seller don't need to add up the burden of success fees into his already-bad situation.

  18. #43
    Team SitePoint
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nufoundglory View Post
    How would you know a buyer isn't making a false claim? Like, say, a buyer just wants to get his hands on the site's database, or scripts, and once the seller sends him those, he's making a claim that it's not like what the seller promised. In this case, seller is considered the bad guy and he still has to pay the "success fee". On the other hand, the buyer gets what he wants, and doesn't spend a dime to get it. How is this seller protected? At least right now the seller don't need to add up the burden of success fees into his already-bad situation.
    If the seller is worried about this situation then I hope they use an escrow service, as that's the only way to avoid this.

    You're obviously coming from the seller's side, so you want the seller to be protected. Those coming from the buyer's side want the buyer to be protected. Flippa, in the middle, just wants everyone to be happy with their experience. This means that we are likely to give you the benefit of the doubt the first time this happens - but if it keeps happening, we've all got a problem.

  19. #44
    SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavicu View Post
    Not "Templates for Sale" ... "Templates Auction" category ...
    The templates auction category is depreciated. It's been replaced by the Templates for Sale Classified ads.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

  20. #45
    SitePoint Member Tavicu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mickiewicz View Post
    The templates auction category is depreciated. It's been replaced by the Templates for Sale Classified ads.
    I think you need to open the Templates Auctions ... to much people want this!

    On Marketplace Feedback you said on the new version will be able to do templates auctions but ... the Flippa is just for sites/domains.

    Please open the Templates Auction ... how i said ... to much pople use this way to sell only the theme!

    Thank you and hope you will take this request.
    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly!

  21. #46
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nufoundglory View Post
    I agree. But i've liked sitepoint marketplace too much to leave it. Seriously, startup sites sometimes don't even sell for $200. Sometimes it's much lower, like below $100. The fee of $19 plus success fee, noob sellers who aim to sell smaller and startup sites like me will find it a pain.
    Yes, ideally set a limits like if the selling price is less than $150 (which is mostly startup site) then NO NEED TO PAY the 5% success fee.

    I think that will make everyone happy.

  22. #47
    Team SitePoint
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavicu View Post
    On Marketplace Feedback you said on the new version will be able to do templates auctions but ... the Flippa is just for sites/domains.
    We never said that, sorry.

  23. #48
    SitePoint Member Tavicu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Slutzkin View Post
    We never said that, sorry.
    Make it 10 credits or something ... but don't close it!
    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly!

  24. #49
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Bye sitepoint and flippa.

    I sell sites worth 50-100 USD, now its cost me 20+ 5%(10$ minimum) as fees for a sale!

    "Success-More Success-Greed- More Greed-Failure"

    Yuck yuck.

  25. #50
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dev2design View Post
    Good Bye sitepoint and flippa.

    I sell sites worth 50-100 USD, now its cost me 20+ 5%(10$ minimum) as fees for a sale!

    "Success-More Success-Greed- More Greed-Failure"

    Yuck yuck.
    thts right, our margins are reduced too much. sitepoint admins and co-founders must step in to reduce their asking credits of 19 per site. make it to earlier slab where its different for startup, established and premium sites as it makes sense to pay more for listing for an established or premium site than for a startup site. we are all small scale flippers here earning from sitepoint and our earnings willbe reduced too much.
    you must think about it or i am sure many small flippers will leave sitepoint aka flippa which will further reduce your margins.
    rest on you as you are the owners. just my advice to you guys out there.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •