SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been frequenting a forum recently which does not allow signatures, avatars, or images in posts at all. While this was done for security reasons in that case, it really helps to clean up the content. I'd have to say that avatars are necessary to provide some personality to posts, although it's certainly refreshing to be able to read posts without skipping over half of the content (signatures)!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture came unexpected and it is amusing indeed, yet it is unappropiate for this thread and completely unnecessary to make your point. Please, remove it. Thank you.
    Only if you have found the other one its on the same page next post I made.
    It's only to prove the point that sigs really aren't that important anyway, and you got to admit the first pic is funny and there is no water mark on it, the second pic most people would never find anyway but it is a clickable pic, so all their whinging about sigs etc just goes to show many people don't put any thought into their linking and getting their site known campaigns, although both links are really of no interest to people on here and I doubt if 1 percent of visitors no where jomtien is and that website comes up first page of google for just about any jomtien and another word search anyway.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tarh, that will most likely be a simple machines forum, there is a nasty php script that can be uploaded with .jpg, it infects most of their folders in their database.

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slappy12 View Post
    that will most likely be a simple machines forum
    Incorrect. It's a vBulletin forum. There's security/privacy issues associated just with the fact that user posted content can cause a browser to execute a request, regardless of whether or not that is due to an image or what is happening on the server side.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a vbulletin forum but never have allowed attachments, avatars are rewritten on upload, for pictures we use a coppermine gallery which is intergrated to the forum, vbulletin make good forums, but, there portals are crap and I haven't seen any forum software that I would allow attachments on any where, it creates a weak point, a bit like having admin as your user name for your cpanel, why give out half the key?

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slappy12 View Post
    it creates a weak point, a bit like having admin as your user name for your cpanel, why give out half the key?
    This is going a bit off topic now, but I had to respond to this. There's no reason to keep your username obscured. If you want extra entropy in your authentication, just increase the length of your password. Usernames are meant to be public in the traditional sense; trying to increase your authentication strength by obscuring your username is focusing your efforts in the wrong place. Your username shouldn't be "half the key"; it's not part of the key at all.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Slappy ~ Is it ironic that I have edited your signature as it broke the basic SitePoint rule that sigs should NOT be centered......?
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @slappy

I am an Advisor. We are deadly serious people. We have no sense of humour whatsoever. We're evil and that's why we do all kind of cruel and mean things like hidding signatures from Google. Ah! and my second name is torture. And I don't play games

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Slappy ~ Is it ironic that I have edited your signature as it broke the basic SitePoint rule that sigs should NOT be centered......?
    HA! how about that? World is full of irony

You should read the guidelines

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarh View Post
    This is going a bit off topic now, but I had to respond to this. There's no reason to keep your username obscured. If you want extra entropy in your authentication, just increase the length of your password. Usernames are meant to be public in the traditional sense; trying to increase your authentication strength by obscuring your username is focusing your efforts in the wrong place. Your username shouldn't be "half the key"; it's not part of the key at all.
    Off Topic:

Yup, off topic, but username is for identification, password is for security. I remember having this discussion with someone who wanted a password-only system, only it would tell you if someone else had that password when you registered (duuuh).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nasty evil mods
    Could some of this thread be broken off into a seperate thread on internet security or something as I have quite strong feelings on that and this isn't really the thread for it I suppose.

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

You could start a thread in the Web Security forum and post your statement that you want discussed. Then, to make it into a question, you could pull the old "Sitepoint blogs trick" and add a mindless question to the end of it to initiate discussion.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh ok, just found the web security forum, its at the bottom of all the stuff I am not interested in.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I laugh at the fact that the people who have said that they are leaving because of this never gave any real contributions to the forum in the first place and have no clue about SEO.

Just reading their posts is proof enough of that.

And someone is competing with banks based on sig links on a webmaster board? Someone pass me whatever he is smoking.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    I laugh at the fact that the people who have said that they are leaving because of this never gave any real contributions to the forum in the first place and have no clue about SEO.

Just reading their posts is proof enough of that.

And someone is competing with banks based on sig links on a webmaster board? Someone pass me whatever he is smoking.
    I would, but I don't believe it's legal in Canada-- or here for that matter? You wanna meet me in Amsterdam?

Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    seconded.
    One would think you are tall enough already!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gurukid22 View Post
    Wisdom is something that beginners need like me, we get it from experienced people who don't need wisdom they come here for back links. If there not here to answer us we wont be here to ask.
    Experienced people understand that they more they know, they more they have left to learn. The experienced people who come here, are here to be a part of a community, not for Google's sake, but for their own sake.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    @slappy

I am an Advisor. We are deadly serious people. We have no sense of humour whatsoever. We're evil and that's why we do all kind of cruel and mean things like hidding signatures from Google. Ah! and my second name is torture. And I don't play games
    Off Topic:

Of course you don't play games. You're too busy reading the manual on how to properly use my stockpile of nuclear weapons.

(Seriously folks, I have a picture of an orbital facility where a person wearing a space suit is lobbing nukes at a planet's surface. I use it as a private joke about how effective I am against spammers on various forums.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    Off Topic:

Yup, off topic, but username is for identification, password is for security. I remember having this discussion with someone who wanted a password-only system, only it would tell you if someone else had that password when you registered (duuuh).
    Off Topic:

Wtf, seriously? Who in their right mind would do that.. That's just asking to be screwed with, and if any of my clients asked me to develop something like that... I'd would delete their site and tell them to promptly remove the Ethernet cable from their computers and go apply at McDonalds.

*Ok, I wouldn't actually delete their site, but I would shame them to no return for asking such a ridiculous question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see the reason to be upset about signature not being visible to search engine. At least they are still visible to humans.

I have received some good help since I joined this community. It is a highly organized and well moderated forum. So why will someone be angry that a step is taking to keep things organized and keep members focused?

Getting help that will otherwise cost money or time is just good enough reason to belong. Also, it feels cool to provide help to someone in need. The inner satisfaction is enough reward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong, I think the change is a good idea for this forum. But I think that all the focus in this thread on the SEO value of the signature links ignores the fact that real people click on links too.

In "real life," I am not a webmaster, SEO consultant or anything else to do with the internet-as-a-business. In my real professional life role, I participate in a number of forums where I dispense advice. I do it for three reasons: I like to write, I like to help people and, on a fairly regular basis, my answers result in readers following links to my website and ultimately becoming clients.

There are plenty of forums that deal with the issues that I deal with professionally, and there are always more questions than I can reasonably take time to answer. Unless all of the forums made the signatures disappear, I can tell you that if one forum did what SitePoint is doing, I would simply spend my time in forums where I thought that there would be a professional benefit.

Sure, people who know what they are doing can go to the user page of a person that they are curious about, but there has to be a very small fraction of the readers who either know that or will take the extra time to see if the user has listed a website on his user page. And my advice is rarely meant for the forum's "regulars," so the fact that people who are logged in can see my signature is almost completely irrelevant. The benefit I get is that my answers get indexed and turn up in search engines so that when people with similar problems are looking for answers, they know that I can help them.

Like I said, since I am NOT an internet professional and the sites in my signature are nothing more than an amusing time waster for me, I stand to benefit from cutting down the fluff on Sitepoint. I just think there is more to the question than has been discussed in this thread.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Moon View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think the change is a good idea for this forum. But I think that all the focus in this thread on the SEO value of the signature links ignores the fact that real people click on links too.
    This is the key value of the forum signatures. As you can see from a few posts from the "established" members, they share your opinion.
    Many "members" have only registered because of the "top 10/20/50 webmaster forums without the nofollow tag" list and it's they who are hit by that recent Sitepoint's decision most.
    But of course, this is not the type of members, the community will miss...
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Varelse

The point that I was making, perhaps lost in my verbosity, is that probably 80% to 90% of the persons reading a post are not going to be registered members and will never see the signatures. As I write this, the stats are:

Currently Active Users: 2684 (320 members and 2364 guests)

Unlike a "nofollow" tag that only is seen by search engines, hiding the signatures will affect an overwhelming majority of the real people who visit SitePoint.

By hiding the signatures from the search engines, SitePoint is also hiding the signatures from almost everyone who reads a post.

Since I don't even include my own business website in my signature (or my profile), it really doesn't matter to me on SitePoint, but I question whether there may be other solutions that do less collateral damage.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that having signatures visible but all nofollow might be enough. Unfortunately, similar to many of the SEO-kiddies that persist in thinking sig links improve PR, some also believe that robots somehow still count nofollow links in some manner (eg. keyword as link text shows in SERPs). So on further thought, I believe that as long as sig links are visible to search bots, there will be some posting just to get their link(s) on the page for the bots.

I's just another example of the few ruining things for the many.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Moon View Post
    ...whether there may be other solutions that do less collateral damage.
    to whom?

sitepoint members (those partaking in the discussion) are not "damaged" in any way

non-logged-in readers aren't "damaged" either, are they? i mean, they can still read the entire discussions, yes?

what "damage" are you talking about?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"