SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hurrah! I hope this brings an end of the link spammers, but fear I won't. Alas I suffer it (I'm on that ruddy D-List of blogs that dofollow that is going around - even though I switched it off a while back), and the link droppers are still strong as ever

<snip>
    Last edited by Shyflower; Jun 26, 2009 at 12:08.
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asset Finance View Post
    Mark my words! all of you will suffer from this bold move!
    I click signature links of people who are knowledgeable and helpful. I come here to learn, not to wade through self-serving backlinks by people that don't understand the web.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1230 View Post
    thanks i am moving out of this forum now .... was here for backlink ..i have already admitted it in my previous posts.
    Looks like the change is already starting to have the desired effect.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    felgall,I think I'll check out your signature links right now.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great news

The funny thing is that the 10000+ post members are happy with this move (while according to the i'm-here-to-post-for-linkbacks they should be hurt most) and the <100 post ones are worried

Of course there will be some funny to watch SP-hate threads over a few webmaster forums with "seo-pros" complaining how SP have ruined their business (oh, was it a seo business built on the popular "best forums to spam post for backlinks" list?).

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Exactly what I wanted to say
    Last edited by Varelse; Jun 10, 2009 at 13:58. Reason: 2 posts merged
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about charging some sort of membership fee, either one-time or a subscription, which then enables the subscribed member's signature to be viewable by those who are not logged in?

I might be willing to pay for something like this since there is a good amount of value provided by SP signatures being viewable by both logged in members and visitors who are not logged in.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If things are done for the love on Sitepoint then why take sponsors. I assume they pay Sitepoint??????
    Well, compared to other forums, what I've liked about Sitepoint Forums (apart from the helpful community) is that ads are not pushed into your face! There's one unit at top & one unit at the bottom of page & both are easy enough for most people to ignore if they want to. The forums & threads otherwise are clean unlike other forums where ads are pushed into users faces left & right, inserted after every 2-3 posts in each thread, etc.

Forum signatures were turned off (for not logged in users) earlier also. Personally I don't have a problem.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john2k View Post
    What about charging some sort of membership fee, either one-time or a subscription, which then enables the subscribed member's signature to be viewable by those who are not logged in?

I might be willing to pay for something like this since there is a good amount of value provided by SP signatures being viewable by both logged in members and visitors who are not logged in.
    We've considered a premium membership option, one that gives and ad free environment, access to PDF's of our books and some other goodies. Ultimately you guys will be the ones that help us decide, if the demand for that style of membership is there, it's certainly something we could look at.
    Shayne Tilley

My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably consider paying up to $60 per year, but I'm not sure if I would go much further than that at this point.

I suppose many of SP's PDF books probably wouldn't be feasible at that low price. I've never purchased a SP book yet, although I was checking out the PHP dev book the other day. I might consider paying a little bit more than $60 for access to the library, not really sure. Depends on what's available.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an idea, on the other thread you mentioned forum spammers that keep coming back, multiple log in detection, sigs only show after a certain post count, ok thats 100, allow sigs to only show once per page and only if there is a minimum amount of words in that post, I found 40 works pretty good, you see the spammers re editing their post to try and get their sig to work cuts out the "nice post" posts if they are only interested in spamming and there aint nothing worse than a thread full of signatures that contribute more content to a page than the actual posts do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shayne

This is a blod move for your forum to take. In my view, I have no interest in assiting people with questions out of love. I have cancelled my subscrription to Ecadmey for this reason. There is no benefit and no USP for this froum as from here in.

I was happy to post and assit people in questions they had as long as I was getting some kind of benefit. (taking the time out of my day from actually working).

I see no benefit now to this forum?
    From a newbie point of view... Good riddance... if you come to a community it's to gain knowledge or make connections, not to spam your signature...

By the looks of your post, your signature wouldn't have mattered anyway... NoFollow on < 100 posts anyway...

I, being a long time webmaster, welcome this change with open arms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Five 24 Media - welcome to the forum then You are exactly the type of member we need!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering how it was implemented.

Totally for it, but not sure how it was done

I'm the kid who would open something up, break it, then say 'aaah...a motor's doing it'.

Is it just blocking spiders from the <!-- sig --> part ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invision2 View Post

Totally for it, but not sure how it was done

I'm the kid who would open something up, break it, then say 'aaah...a motor's doing it'.

Is it just blocking spiders from the <!-- sig --> part ?
    It was easy -- I just asked one of the super talented programmers we have here at HQ and 10 minutes later is was done.
    Shayne Tilley

My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invision2 View Post
    I've never used vBulletin, but in SMF you can do that very easily by simply adding an IF statement in the theme which checks if the user is logged in or or not and only displaying the signature if they are.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Prove it?" ha! Good luck to you, I hope you dont loose the lot!

Mark my words! all of you will suffer from this bold move!
    Just to help you work out why these links count for so little in search engine results...

If YOU were designing a search engine and wanted to return GOOD results, based partly on sites linking to each other, would YOU rate a link in a signature as a sign that the forum site owner thought the target site was important, or would you say that's just the poster spamming to get a link that he made rated as important???

(And would you rate keywords stuffed into meta tags as important, given that the site owner can stick whatever he wants in there?)

Remember, good search results is an important requirement for google's business model to attract more business (people paying for adwords).

If WE can work out that siggy links are not a vote by the forum owner for the site in the siggy but just the siggy owner trying to get spotted, I do think the guys at google and other search engines worked this out many years ago as well. So there is little to loose by this move. Even though I'd like casual visitors to see my siggy, I'm not loosing sleep over it.

I came here to learn, to get some help, and to help others with what I learned here.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShayneTilley View Post
    We've considered a premium membership option, one that gives and ad free environment, access to PDF's of our books and some other goodies. Ultimately you guys will be the ones that help us decide, if the demand for that style of membership is there, it's certainly something we could look at.
    Much as I'd love access to every book you publish for a small fee, it could result in them all being available on download sites the instant they were published and thus reduce sales. Don't think your authors would like that.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShayneTilley View Post
    It was easy -- I just asked one of the super talented programmers we have here at HQ and 10 minutes later is was done.
    Ah-ha!
    Just as I suspected

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr John View Post
    Much as I'd love access to every book you publish for a small fee, it could result in them all being available on download sites the instant they were published and thus reduce sales. Don't think your authors would like that.
    Speaking as someone who's purchased PDFs here before, I can tell you from experience that they're password protected. And trackable.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wanted to say this earlier:

If this doesn't curb spam as much as hoped, I would have no problem with signatures being completely removed. Though having mods and mentors be able to have Sitepoint-related links as sigs would be a useful exception.

Which God gave us the Right to have sigs? So, they don't have to be here. It's just a nice extra, where people can have links to their personal interests attached to their posts. Heck, some forums let you have these huge animated gifs and whole quotes from like movies and stuff!! Man, those poor servers must be dying.

Despite having a robots.txt on my server, some of my links in posts (and actually one sig) have ended up on Google (though the search terms have to have "stomme poes" in them which luckily regular users don't add).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shayne

This is a blod move for your forum to take. In my view, I have no interest in assiting people with questions out of love. I have cancelled my subscrription to Ecadmey for this reason. There is no benefit and no USP for this froum as from here in.

I was happy to post and assit people in questions they had as long as I was getting some kind of benefit. (taking the time out of my day from actually working).

I see no benefit now to this forum?
    Sounds like you won't be a great loss to the community to be honest.

The benefit is that you get the help of others when you need it, and they get your help when they need it.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't care if this is fluff or not! I absolutely LOVE this thread. I may print it out and frame it!

It is wonderful to see the member support for this decision!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news!!!!
    One thing that bugged me about this place was some of the just plain ridiculous signatures. I am all for signatures that are relevant to the forum or area of work, in the case of sitepoint forum mostly web development. Do we need to know about natural herbal remedies on need new finance? I think not.

Great to see Sitepoint go that one step more!
    .:To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Glasgow Flasher
    bringmadeleinehome.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul Ferriel, no offense but what does your link of bringing Madelaine home have to do with web site development?
    Using your thinking on what should be allowed as signatures I assume you will be deleting that one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That signature is for a good cause.
    Your the first to comment on it for the time that it's been there.
    .:To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Glasgow Flasher
    bringmadeleinehome.com