1 Thread(s)
    Simply the best decision for everyone

Thank you, Shayne

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do I seem to be the only one bothered about this? We are a small business competing aginst banks, We dont have 10k a month to spend on google advertising. This was outr weapon to compete. I was prepared to assist with a benefit. Ok so Sitepoint has a few unwanted member(0.000000%) of webbys and a ok a few backlinks to help there site. whats the harm in that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of posting a short, meaningless post, can I say:-

Great news, thank you Sitepoint!

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Asset Finance, if all you care about is getting google juice from your links then Sitepoint is not the place for you. Sorry. Those of use that are not bothered by this are those that are here purely for the community. We come here to share and gain knowledge.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you're bothered by this at all, Asset Finance. You don't have 100 posts yet, so your signature link would be nofollow anyway.

This is a forum where web professionals and amateurs alike can share their knowledge and get help. It is not a channel for link building or a place for free advertising.

Believe it or not, but there are actually some of us who like helping others and seeing them grow. We enjoy it, and don't require (or even expect) any gains or benefits from it (other than, perhaps, acquiring a reputation as a knowledgeable and helpful individual).

If you could see the amount of rubbish we moderators have to wade through and remove each day, perhaps you would see why this change is necessary.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logic Earth- Read my posts!!!!!. I have said I have been more than happy to take time out of my "busy" day to assist questions but would like a little benefits, if not I have real work to do! I dont work for the CAB.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I like that. Thank you very much. Something had to be done, as it got beyond unnerving.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not the first time signatures have been turned off to search engines, and SitePoint only continued to grow during that period. So we already know this isn't going to alienate the web design and development professionals and newcomers that come here to ask questions, give advice, and discuss relevant issues.

Only after signatures were turned back on did all the "SEO professionals" show up and start responding to every thread with "thanks for sharing" dozens of times a day.

Hopefully once word of the change spreads, we can enjoy the kind of discussions that used to happen here without the page-long hijacks in broken english in the middle of the night from "link builders" working for clients

There was never any real SEO benefit to the signatures anyway, with over 300 links on the average forum page, and the average post having virtually no PR. Yet real members click my signature hundreds of times a month (web stats are useful!), there are many real benefits to participating in an active forum with others that share the same interests.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long version - I have a signature, not to link build, but in the hope that someone (real) sees my posts, likes what I've said and decides to look at my site. Anyone who thinks a forum signature link will vastly improve their SEO is living in cloud-cuckoo-land.

Short version -

PS - like the new addition to your sig, Dan.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome news I might follow Dans' lead with his new signature addition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asset Finance View Post
    Why do I seem to be the only one bothered about this? We are a small business competing aginst banks,
    Because everyone else understands that those links were worthless anyway.

Ok so Sitepoint has a few unwanted member(0.000000%) of webbys and a ok a few backlinks to help there site. whats the harm in that?
    We have been inundated with "SEO Professionals" posting all sorts of inane junk. Such posters are not wanted here at SitePoint, hopefully they will find somewhere else to spam instead.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks i am moving out of this forum now .... was here for backlink ..i have already admitted it in my previous posts.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    time will tell. personally i welcome the decision. Regarding Asset's comments, I place enormous value on this forum and the people in it. I have had great support in areas I have struggled with. A terrific community that shows that not everyone needs to have a direct benefit from helping others.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    so we now post on here for the love of helping others with there questions?
    That's what community is all about!

Thank you Admin!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1230 View Post
    thanks i am moving out of this forum now .... was here for backlink ..i have already admitted it in my previous posts.
    Goodbye

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siteguru View Post
    Long version - I have a signature, not to link build, but in the hope that someone (real) sees my posts, likes what I've said and decides to look at my site.
    Amen to that. I was worried that SitePoint would remove signatures all together. I wouldn't have blamed them if they did, but I'm very happy that they didn't. I will take real traffic over backlinks any day and real visitors over Search engine bots as well.

Anyone who thinks a forum signature link will vastly improve their SEO is living in cloud-cuckoo-land.
    Off Topic:

Cloud-cuckoo-land. That's a wonderful phrase! Thanks for the smile!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent news.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so we now post on here for the love of helping others with there questions?
    I can't honestly believe that someone has to ask this kind of question. What is a forum for? It is a place to discuss, interact, solve problems. Any forum is created with that idea in mind. When is it written that people create forums so someone else can fake an interest in the community, acting as he was really interested in helping out others, get backlinks and promote himself?

I don't know about other people, I can tell you that every single of my posts was done with the idea of helping someone, even if I didn't get anything in return.

Yet, I do get something in return:

- I found great people that speaks the same way that I speak, knows what DNS means without having to explain it, and care about the same things

- I've helped and I've been helped. I learn something new every day.

- when I read someone else's posts, I had new ideas and learnt new ways of doing things that could be applied to my business.

- I even got some free traffic. Not much, but every little helps. And it is only natural, if you think about it. The more you help, the better. People get to know you, and know your strong and weak points, and then decide if you are honest or not. If they decide you're good stuff, they'll turn to you (your sites, pm you with questions, and at the end, even get some business)

And if that wasn't enought, I've got that having fun and enjoying myself.

So, in my humble opinion, I couldn't care less if the signatures are seen by others or not.

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a signature, not to link build, but in the hope that someone (real) sees my posts, likes what I've said and decides to look at my site.
    We all do, and I do believe that SP understand that we, as business persons, need to get some exposure and that everything helps. But promotion should not be equal to blant spam. And that's what's been happening lately.

I hope that this decission will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all you selfish naysayers out there, you're completely missing the point! It's not all about you, believe it or not.

I came here years ago because I needed help from more knowledgeable people who were willing to share out of the kindness of their hearts. The awesome people here at SP have selflessly shared their knowledge for the betterment of web community.

I am very grateful for that, and so in return I try to share what limited knowledge I have with others. It's a fantastically beautiful symbiotic relationship which benefits all of us (though some more than others, ).

If all I had found was ridiculous self-serving posts when I first came here, I would have left.

Thanks, SP, for being vigilant in keeping this community intact and of the utmost integrity. I owe a great deal to this community.

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was prepared to assist with a benefit. Ok so Sitepoint has a few unwanted member(0.000000%) of webbys and a ok a few backlinks to help there site. whats the harm in that?
    There's no harm in wanting to get a benefit (even if indirect) from your help. The thing is that there are many, many people that want the same and that would do anything to get it. And for one helpful post they write (if they do), they would write 100 more with fluff just to get those backlinks and expose their signatures.

If it wasn't a problem, nothing would have been changed.

I understand your position, I truly do, but I can't share it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a very active member here, but I think the introduction of these 2 simple signature rules will greatly benefit any forum. As an admin myself, I see the progression over the past couple of years toward people who fill good quality communities with fluff just to build up their backlinks. Most of the time these are from common outsourced countries who do that for very cheap. So I think its a great decision and I think if community owners care for the integrity of their sites, they have no choice but to enforce similar techniques to stop this madness.
    HostingDiscussion.com - web hosting community

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do I seem to be the only one bothered about this? We are a small business competing aginst banks, We dont have 10k a month to spend on google advertising. This was outr weapon to compete. I was prepared to assist with a benefit. Ok so Sitepoint has a few unwanted member(0.000000%) of webbys and a ok a few backlinks to help there site. whats the harm in that?
    Well then, perhaps I can help you. I've been researching everything I can about link building (I know how to do it, but I wanted to learn a lot more - in other words, how people like Eric Ward get links that would make even Fortune 50 companies jealous). My research in this vast subject area is being collated into an easy to read definitive treatise (guide) on link building that even my own mother (who is currently on a ventilator in the intensive care unit of a local hospital) can understand - and she has no knowledge of computers, or the Internet for that matter.

Am I going to sell it? Nope. Am I going to bundle it with another product/service as a freebie for those who buy it? No way. I'm going to publish it here on SitePoint one of two ways. Either they accept it as an article to be featured on the main site (which would be SCHWEET), or I'll publish it here on the forums and sticky the thread.

Either way, it'll be freely available to everyone. And by the time you've finished reading it (once it's been either published or posted), you'll see why I stand by my claim (and understand why my bank account is breathing a sigh of relief) that forum signatures do next to nothing for SEO. Because you'll have the knowledge necessary to get links from the likes of Fortune 500 companies, the major media, and the authority sites within your market/niche that your competitors would kill (oh what the heck, let's say commit genocide here) to get.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telos View Post
    I am very grateful for that, and so in return I try to share what limited knowledge I have with others.
    And that is exactly what a discussion forum should be about! Thank you, telos, for posting this.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Well then, perhaps I can help you. I've been researching everything I can about link building (I know how to do it, but I wanted to learn a lot more - in other words, how people like Eric Ward get links that would make even Fortune 50 companies jealous). My research in this vast subject area is being collated into an easy to read definitive treatise (guide) on link building that even my own mother (who is currently on a ventilator in the intensive care unit of a local hospital) can understand - and she has no knowledge of computers, or the Internet for that matter.

Am I going to sell it? Nope. Am I going to bundle it with another product/service as a freebie for those who buy it? No way. I'm going to publish it here on SitePoint one of two ways. Either they accept it as an article to be featured on the main site (which would be SCHWEET), or I'll publish it here on the forums and sticky the thread.

Either way, it'll be freely available to everyone. And by the time you've finished reading it (once it's been either published or posted), you'll see why I stand by my claim (and understand why my bank account is breathing a sigh of relief) that forum signatures do next to nothing for SEO. Because you'll have the knowledge necessary to get links from the likes of Fortune 500 companies, the major media, and the authority sites within your market/niche that your competitors would kill (oh what the heck, let's say commit genocide here) to get.
    I would love to know more about this. I am trying to grasp some more information on link building and I bet this would help out a lot! Thanks.