SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Challenges of being your own server admin

Yearly costs for a GoDaddy virtual dedicated server is ~$300. I have been using their Assisted Service Plan for $700, and I want to dump this service to save money.

I am a PHP/MySQL web developer and I want to take on the challenge of administering my own server.

I have Plesk installed on the server, and I imagine I will have command line access to the dedicated server.

What unknown challenges lie ahead for me? What are things to monitor to keep the site running efficiently? What should I be using to connect to the server? What tools are available to help me be more efficient?

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.
    Last edited by ripcurlksm; Jun 9, 2009 at 15:26.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If nobody else will have shell access and you keep your server up to date, which on a Debian/Ubuntu/Centos box can be done easily with one or two command lines, and run a firewall, then you re going to be fine 99% of the time.

If a knowledgeable individual makes it his life goal to root your server, however, then you're probably done whether it's managed or not.
    In2net Network Inc. www.in2net.com : Providing Service Since 1996
    Quick Sales Response - info@in2net.com
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting from $9.95/mo
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume that with $300 budget you will be able to have whole dedicated server. Good dedicated server and install and run there everything you want to
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    I assume that with $300 budget you will be able to have whole dedicated server. Good dedicated server and install and run there everything you want to
    Yes but with montly payment cycle. He seems has that budget for whole year
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just get an unassisted plan with them, assisted is good for a few months, just to get everything working properly, then dump the assisted and move to unassisted. It sounds like you have been doing this awhile, just how much stuff are you doing day to day, that would require someone on call to fix your stuff, when you can probibly do the daily stuff and backups yourself, a little bit more time, but less overhead. Well, if overhead is a issue with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you mean by "Assisted Service Plan", is that a customized plan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have a virtual dedicated server with godaddy. I pay $300 per year. I also pay 720 per year for assisted support, they admin the server. I do not want to pay 720 anymore and I want to admin the server myself.

I want to know what unknown challenges lie ahead for me? What are things to monitor to keep the site running efficiently? What should I be using to connect to the server? What tools are available to help me be more efficient?