SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Looking to build a calculator for site similar to mortgage calculator

Hello all,

I am a member of a third generation Mechanical Contracting business that is over 50 years old. As most of you know in small business construction technology is not so early adopted. I am the first person in my family to use a computer, growing up with my first machine being a Commodore 64. Enough of my history I have a question for you guys.

I want to build a calculator that will give an inquiring customer a general idea of the investment that they would be looking at when upgrading or installing a new air conditioning system. There would be various choices that would fit the customer into a specific system and each of those choices would carry a value that upon completion of the form would give them a price that would need to be field verified by one our estimators. I would like to know what direction in programming something like this my design team and I should take. Basically what language should we be using and are there open source templates that I would be able to utilize.

My site is built on Wordpress. Here is a link to the site if you are interested in looking at how we did what we already have. The calculator will reside on the HVAC page.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For simplicity sake I recommend using JavaScript. It will be processed in the client browser so that the user doesn't need to reload the page to get the final price.

Your best bet might be to find a JavaScript calculator example and just modify the fields to match your criteria. That will give you a head-start on the code.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.