SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simplest CMS needed...

I'm looking for a CMS solution that is as easy to install as possible. I am comfortable working with HTML and CSS, but I have no clue when it comes to content management, and I need something that I can install and configure myself. Ideally it would be free/opensource, but I'm fine with paying for a commercial product if it is a good quality and simple solution.

In my dream world, I'd be able to just install some files on a server, drop a couple of lines of code into a section of a page that I want to be editable in the CMS, and be up and running quickly. Does anything like that exist?

What would you suggest for a semi-web capable guy like me who has no idea about installing a CMS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress.org
    It may not be the easiest to install, but is possibly the easiest to keep updated. You will need a MySQL database.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbey View Post
    Wordpress.org
    It may not be the easiest to install...
    If it isn't, I am not sure what is. I too recommend WP!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress.. dosn't get much easier then that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if I already have a site built and I wanted to add CMS to it? Can WP be added to an existing site to edit content, while keeping the overall look and feel of the site the same?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have exactly the same look and feel as your current site, cause you can use the exact same HTML/CSS for it.

Though instead of adding WP to your site, you will have to add your site to WP. So to speak.

Once WP is installed you will have to create each page that your site already has and add the content for each into the WP database via the admin interface. Not necessarily hard but could get tedious if you have a large site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is extremely easy to install, unless you are totally new to such things. Then is it just easy. I did not want to say it was toooooo easy as someone that has never set up a MySQL database and, maybe, done a few CHMOD / permission changes in FTP apps may get a little confused at first.

But it is bleedin' great.

By far the best thing is that you can update it from control panel, and also install new plugins from control panel - which includes a plugin to save the database. Essential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys. I'm going to give WordPress a try.

I have also been messing around with Concrete5, which so far is pretty simple to set up and use. It looks like WP will have more pre-made templates and modules to use than Concrete5, so I might save time with WP and being able to use existing elements. But man, that C5 editing interface is slick. I guess I just need to try some different things and see which solution I prefer.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a very similar question - my client is a total technophobe and wants me to build a several hundred page site of quite similar pages. So far I have made 50 odd pages all in html/css but my thought is to move it to wordpress and then maybe it might be so simple that my client can build the rest of the site. Each page has around 3 paragraphs text and 1 image. Real simple and is built around a template.

Eventually the whole site could become a shopping cart but can this also be done in wordpress?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. Several hundred pages of similar content, or similar layout?
    I think that if the client wants a shopping cart, plan with that in mind. But..... Wordpress does have some cart plugins - I have never used any of them myself though.

Wordpress would be the easy option again. Especially for the client to make their own content. I would suggest that you keep the admin logon yourself and give your client an editor level user set up, just in case they decide to do something a bit stupid and delete plugins etc.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend JOOMLA ... very easy to install and even easier to use.. and it's open source.. definitely look into it..
    Empleos.com.co - El portal de Empleos
    Empleo - Trabajo - Ofertas de Empleo

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is great and most hosts have it configured as a one-click install through Fantastico or some other means - so there's nothing easier to install if you ask me.

Adding content management to an existing site is another story though, and I don't know where you'd even begin to do that with Wordpress.

Take a look at http://www.editwrx.com/ though and I believe http://www.etomite.org/ might also make it easier to edit an existing site.

Steve

P.S. Take a look at http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ too - you might discover something new there that works great for your needs.
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!