SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Anybody registered domain name with iiNet?

Hey all,

Friend of mine has registered a domain name with iiNet (Australia). I'm going to host his site with Bluehost, anybody know how I can update the DNS info of his domain name so it points to the bluehost servers? I've been able to do this with other domain name companies, but can't seem to find any control panel to make the changes with iiNet...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Nick
    Win A FREE iPhone!

Tired from working? Funny Things! Laugh the stress away
    Some Funny Jokes | Funny Videos

SitePoint Enthusiast nickthrolson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stick with godaddy better to be safe then sorry when it comes to domain registrars

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickthrolson View Post
    I would stick with godaddy better to be safe then sorry when it comes to domain registrars
    iiNet resell Connect West .au domains (Connect West is actually the subsidiary of iiNet that handles domain registrations) while GoDaddy don't even offer them for sale at all so how buying something from Godaddy that Godaddy don't have for sale is better than buying from somewhere that is an authorised reseller is safer I don't know. If they can't provide the domain at all then you'd just be wasting your money giving it to GoDaddy.

As for changing nameservers for an iiNet/Connect West domain - here's item 2 from their faq.

2. How do I change the delegation of my domain name?

Please send an email to support@connectwest.net.au, supplying your domain name, password and the new name servers for the domain name.
    So they still don't have a control panel for you to change the nameservers yourself the way most other .au domain registrars do (one of the reasons I transferred domains from there to a different registrar) so you have to email them the details of the change. To point the domain to BlueHost you need the nameservers to point to ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com so that's the change you need to ask for in the email.

See http://www.connectwest.net.au/faq/index.html for more details including how to get the domain password if you haven't got it.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">