Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge Website Built using PHP

Hiya,

I'm still debating on whether to use PHP or ASP to built my functionality web application.
    Can anybody specify any huge websites that have been created using the PHP language?

Am I correct in saying that PHP is mainly designed for use with smaller sites?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    facebook is pretty big wouldn't u say?

shows how scalable php can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, facebook is probably the best example.

In my experience of both PHP and ASP, if you write PHP well it's so much sleeker than ASP

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The language doesn't make or break anything. If you are planning on a huge site, you should use technology with which you're familiar. If not, you're going to make mistakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
    The language doesn't make or break anything. If you are planning on a huge site, you should use technology with which you're familiar. If not, you're going to make mistakes.
    That is very true, both have their merits and both can be used in a detrimental way.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why do people use ASP, if PHP is mainly favored as the best?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's down to the fact ASP is Microsoft. Microsoft have such a large market share in all things computers it makes sense that a lot of people will immediately go to them. I've come across clients before who just wanted ASP because it was Microsoft and therefore in their eyes better.

You could ask why to people use PCs if Macs are mainly favored as best, you'll end up having the same kind of discussion.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal opinion, I know a lot of ASP developers who love it, personally I can't see why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Danials View Post
    So why do people use ASP, if PHP is mainly favored as the best?
    a lot of big corporations are fully tied into the Micro$oft way of doing things. They use Exchange/ .NET / ASP etc.

This corporate barrier has got in the way of PHP. Even tho IMO PHP is better/ faster and has a fantastic community behind it - yep that includes you forum members!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook, Yahoo, BBC, Flickr, Digg all use PHP.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    .NET has its place considering its compiled rather then interpreted making it ideal for larger enterprise level applications.
    The only code I hate more than my own is everyone else's.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    Facebook, Yahoo, BBC, Flickr, Digg all use PHP.
    The BBC & Yahoo? - How can you tell?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Wikipedia.org is quite big and uses php. Also sitepoint.com ?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BBC uses PHP's Zend Framework for presentation layer. It architecture was explained in XTech 2008.

Yahoo search wasn’t built with PHP. However Yahoo has publicly announced its support for PHP. Yahoo Answer , for one, was built with PHP’s symfony framework.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC & Yahoo? - How can you tell?
    Yahoo! puts it in their blogs and talks about it at conferences.

Yahoo! Answers, Yahoo! Bookmarks and Delicious were all built with Symfony, a PHP framework.

On the topic of languages behind mega sites though, MySpace runs on ASP.NET. That site handles around 60 million uniques a month.

So you can go either way.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw an interview with a BBC web developer yesterday that mentioned PHP as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya,

Cheers
    This is called fallacy in english.........seeing 1-2 you conclude things....which is not true...

asp is no where near php...may be you are trying to say dot net...
    even then
    may be php is normally used in most website and dot net is used in closed sourced enterprise ventures....

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    asp is no where near php...may be you are trying to say dot net...
    even then
    may be php is normally used in most website and dot net is used in closed sourced enterprise ventures....
    So what are you saying?: "PHP is still in the lead over ASP?" (...or the other way around? )
    What is a "Closed sourced enterprise venture" - Forgive me for not knowing this.

I solve practical problems. bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya,

I'm still debating on whether to use PHP or ASP to built my functionality web application.
    Can anybody specify any huge websites that have been created using the PHP language?

Cheers
    PHP is open source, community based, OS-independent, standards compliant. ASP is vendor lock in, future monopolistic sky high prices, OS-dependent, non-standards compliant Microsoft dreck. Also, Microsoft killed it a few years ago in favor of ASP.net and the rest of the .net framework. So you have no guarantee you're platform will even be around in a few years with ASP

If you're comfortable with Microsoft controlling your destiny and gouging you for whatever they feel you should pay them go right ahead and use ASP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youtube is a huge site and it uses PHP, you can tell it by its index page
    Myspace Layout Maker MyspaceColor.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is the choice. You can be sure that it will 'stay alive', as for ASP - you really never know.
    X-Cart - tens thousands live online shops worldwide
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    PHP is open source, community based, OS-independent, standards compliant. ASP is vendor lock in, future monopolistic sky high prices, OS-dependent, non-standards compliant Microsoft dreck. Also, Microsoft killed it a few years ago in favor of ASP.net and the rest of the .net framework. So you have no guarantee you're platform will even be around in a few years with ASP

If you're comfortable with Microsoft controlling your destiny and gouging you for whatever they feel you should pay them go right ahead and use ASP.
    Uh, it costs nothing to install the .NET SDK on a Windows machine. You do need IIS to host the Webserver, but again, that's free on a Windows box.

Why use ASP.NET over PHP? The .NET Common Language Runtime environment makes coding transitions between languages much smoother than it used to be. As a result, if you already know Visual Basic or C#.NET, you can transition to web development with ASP.NET very quickly. Much the same way that Java Server pages makes a transition to web development very easy for someone who already knows desktop/server based Java.

Every tool is not a hammer. Every problem is not a nail.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YouTube used to use mostly PHP, but I'm not so sure anymore. Back in 2006, all their internal URLs (to load videos and such) ended in .php, but they no longer were by the middle of the year. I think Google moved them to Python.

I know the important backend stuff isn't PHP but rather Python.

I solve practical problems. bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SituationSoap View Post
    Uh, it costs nothing to install the .NET SDK on a Windows machine. You do need IIS to host the Webserver, but again, that's free on a Windows box.

Why use ASP.NET over PHP? The .NET Common Language Runtime environment makes coding transitions between languages much smoother than it used to be. As a result, if you already know Visual Basic or C#.NET, you can transition to web development with ASP.NET very quickly. Much the same way that Java Server pages makes a transition to web development very easy for someone who already knows desktop/server based Java.

Every tool is not a hammer. Every problem is not a nail.
    You're deluded if you can say the words "Free on a Windows machine" with a straight face. Last I checked the server edition of Windows was north of $1000. Nothing comes 'free' with that purchase tag.

Not every problem is a nail - true. Not every solution is a hammer - true. Microsoft doesn't make solutions - they make more problems for everyone. They might sell hammers, but their hammers only work with their nails which in turn can only be driven into their boards.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sk89q View Post
    YouTube used to use mostly PHP, but I'm not so sure anymore. Back in 2006, all their internal URLs (to load videos and such) ended in .php, but they no longer were by the middle of the year. I think Google moved them to Python.

I know the important backend stuff isn't PHP but rather Python.
    Yeah you correct on this.
    According to the write up about Python on Wikipedia.org, and on the Python website, it states that YouTube and most of Google's applications(s) are based on this language.

Why does YouTube favor Python over PHP, or is it just based on preference again?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    You're deluded if you can say the words "Free on a Windows machine" with a straight face. Last I checked the server edition of Windows was north of $1000. Nothing comes 'free' with that purchase tag.

Not every problem is a nail - true. Not every solution is a hammer - true. Microsoft doesn't make solutions - they make more problems for everyone. They might sell hammers, but their hammers only work with their nails which in turn can only be driven into their boards.
    You can run IIS/ASP.NET on any of the Windows "desktop" operating systems as well.

Again, for the price of admission. Considering market penetration, it's safe to assume that the OP is likely someone who is currently surfing on a Windows box.

At that point, there is zero functional cost in installing either of the two questioned development platforms.