SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staying free of distractions when working on a site. Is it possible?

Okay, I admit, I've got a really big problem with being distracted instead of getting my work done. I'm currently working on a site, and it is not all that interesting. Actually it is quite boring. I try to keep myself from being distracted especially with other internet sites (like this one ), but find it is almost impossible.

I just got done reading these (below):

great articles on distraction and the internet, but am finding them not all that easy to implement. If I were just programming, it wouldn't be so hard as I would not need the internet for that.

Also wondering if there is anyone else out there who may have a different approach or is in the same boat?

And if you guys have any tips, tricks, advice, or ideas on how to stay the course, your help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to gain the discipline not to get sidetracked when you don't want to be.

It's just a skill you have to gain if you want to work for yourself.

Or get a 2nd monitor so you can do the work and the distraction at the same time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Jun 7, 2009 at 02:47.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan is right.

There's a reason it's called "self-discipline". You have to learn to do it for yourself.

What I do is log all my time used on a project on project timesheets and then keep trying to do all the tasks I do in less time than the previous time I did the task. It gets back to something that got drilled into us in school: you can't control what you don't measure.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can't control what you don't measure.
    I love that! It is so true, and as a result, I'll be taping it to my monitor. I also like the idea of trying to improve upon your time as I am a very time oriented individual and I work best with deadlines. Thanks for the information!

Self-discipline for 8 hours straight will still be pretty though. I'll try to work 30min at a time and see if that helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that is true. When I was worried that I was wasting too much time doing research on the web, I started a log of all the times I surfed the web, with brief notes on what sites I visited. It made me realize I was spending too much time at places that were actually not helping me achieve my goals, but instead making me feel more pressured to take on other goals.

You just have to sit down and admit to yourself what you really want to get accomplished, and then don't support behaviors that go against that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you meet1ngex. It really is a behavioral thing. Researching is my number one down fall. I can research any and everything there is (ah um, lifehacker.com). There is a certain type of feeling you get when you know you are wasting time and I have to try and listen to those feelings. I feel that I am wasting time, but my mind continues to try and validate it. It is not the internet's fault of course. Just like it says in one of the articles. "The internet is like food. It will always be there and you can't eat all of it". Also in regards to what amf45 had said, "you cannot control what you don't measure". One of the problems is that my project has no deadline. The other issue I have is that if I come across something I do not know, I have to find out what it is otherwise it just sits in my mind all day. There are also some blogs that are like a soap opera (although I do not watch them, really), if you miss a few days, then your out of the loop and have to catch back up. Next thing you know 4 or 5 hours is gone and nothing has been done. Personally I'd rather watch the soap as it's only 30min to and hour long.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use the GTD (Getting things done) philosophy, its very helpful in trying to keep your mind on the job and keeping things in order...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_Things_Done

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, GTD is awesome. I actually use the GTD + R version which really helps keep me on task and on track. Recently I had to put parental controls on myself using BlueCoat K9 Web Protection which is a free parentals control software program. Basically I set it up to block all the sites that I spend the most time on. I'd like to block google to help prevent me from doing research, but at the moment that is where I get my email.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any discipline. I get some clients every now and then that want simple work but it's so mediocre that I always just end up getting on here instead and eventually lose the client. I know I don't have the discipline so I'm not going to botherfreelancing if I can help it. I know my limits.
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I don't have the discipline so I'm not going to botherfreelancing if I can help it. I know my limits.
    hmmm...... Interesting point made as my discipline is lacking as well. I am currently looking for something else outside though, but still need to finish what I am working on.

SitePoint Enthusiast thomasfrank09's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post

Or get a 2nd monitor so you can do the work and the distraction at the same time
    Story of my life.
    I run the blog College Info Geek.

You can find me at:
    My personal site | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn