SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Transfering Wordpress Site from 1and1 to * ???

Hey everyone,
    I'm having sort of a problem figuring out how to transfer one of my wordpress blogs to another host and was wondering if there is anyone experienced here that could offer their knowledge

Basically I signed up for hosting with 1and1 when I got my first site (I didn't know any better). I created a blog out of that site but now I want to transfer it to another host such as hostgator or what-have-you.

How can I do this without having to start over from scratch and lose everything?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you able to get access to the files and the mysql database? If so, simply download everything and reupload. There are obviously a few more steps inbetween, but I'm not completely versed on the process myself.
    “There's a way to do it better - find it.”
    — Thomas Edison

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this task several times ,and I think it's not so hard to do .
    the first step : login to your dashboard , in tool option ,choose export and click download export file . This function will export data of your blog to a xml file and save it to your computer
    The second step : install wordpress in the host you want to move your blog to . Go to dashboard ,in tool option ,choose import . Import xml file which saved in your computer .This function will restore all posts and comments in your new blog .
    The last step : use a ftp software ,download all media data,such as video,image , and upload them to folders in new host . Please remember the folder structure in your 2 hosts is the same ,because if they are not similar ,the image can not be displayed .
    Another way you can do to move your wordpress from a host to other host is download all file in your wordpress to computer ,upload it to new host . Access your database ,dump it to file .Create a database in new host with the name of your previous database and import database dumped file . But this way is not good because download and upload all file will take you a lot of time

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Thank you guys very much..I was beginning to think that it was going to be next to impossible. Rep + to the each of you (wherever that feature may be)

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step by step instructions directly from the source: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_Wo...o_a_New_Server