SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Smart programmer silver trophy M.Zeb Khan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Luton, Beds
    Posts
    1,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Worst google's logo ever....

    Hi,

    The worst logo of google I have ever seen:
    http://www.google.co.uk/logos/tetris09.gif

    What you think?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Zealot ewomack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe... but I kind of like it... it's obnoxiously abstract and indistinct...
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

  3. #3
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is bad. I'd accuse you of lifting it from a Microsoft site, except I saw it on Google's site myself.

  4. #4
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    spikeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    13,806
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Wow, that is bad. I'd accuse you of lifting it from a Microsoft site, except I saw it on Google's site myself.
    Now why even bother mentioning Microsoft at all Geo?
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

  5. #5
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I couldn't see what it was at first... could have been clearer!

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast ArticleScholar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's dead ugly lol.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't even tell that it says google.

  8. #8
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Now why even bother mentioning Microsoft at all Geo?
    What else can I compare it to? It's REALLY bad.

    It's not really that big a deal; the most important thing is that Google functions correctly. But it's a little surprising to see such an ugly piece of "art" on Google's home page.

  9. #9
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,817
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tyhought it rather inappropriate that they celebrated the anniversary of Tetris rather than the anniversary of D-Day. If they were going to change their logo to celebrate an anniversary surely the second of these would have been the better choice.

    After all what was this tetris thingy anyway? A five second fad if that.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  10. #10
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I tyhought it rather inappropriate that they celebrated the anniversary of Tetris rather than the anniversary of D-Day. If they were going to change their logo to celebrate an anniversary surely the second of these would have been the better choice.

    After all what was this tetris thingy anyway? A five second fad if that.
    Firstly, Google are a technology company so it makes perfect sense they would celibrate a computer game, I would consider it highly inappropriate for Google to involve itself in the celebrations of D-Day. As for the mockful (and rather pointless) statement about calling Tetris a 5 second fad, it has been around since 1989 and has sold over 70 million copies (just based on console media, not any of the thousands of tetris software or web versions) from being ported to various platforms, devices and game consoles and has remained to this day one of the most played video games in history.

  11. #11
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I didn't realize this was sort of commemoration for a computer game. In that case, please disregard my other posts. The "logo" is just as appropriate as the uniforms worn by the Seattle Sounders soccer team.

  12. #12
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,817
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Firstly, Google are a technology company so it makes perfect sense they would celibrate a computer game, I would consider it highly inappropriate for Google to involve itself in the celebrations of D-Day.
    Google celebrate all sorts of things with their daily logos - few of them are computer related and so a D-Day commemoration would have been as meaningful as any of the other anniversaries that they celebrate with these daily logos. Anyway, computers played a significant part in the planning leading up to the D-Day landings - one of the first significant uses of computers.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  13. #13
    Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google tries to distance itself from anything that anyone might possibly find some reason to take offense with, from religion to war.

    http://arstechnica.com/media/news/20...tans-pawns.ars

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    As for the mockful (and rather pointless) statement about calling Tetris a 5 second fad, it has been around since 1989 and has sold over 70 million copies (just based on console media, not any of the thousands of tetris software or web versions) from being ported to various platforms, devices and game consoles and has remained to this day one of the most played video games in history.
    and if it wasn't for D-Day we would have spent the last twenty years playing Tetris in Nazi Germany.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why google sometimes makes logos that are near impossible to read! I remember one that they made (the USA google.com) that was some sort of underwater theme, and you couldn't even read some of the letters!

  15. #15
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,817
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb348 View Post
    I don't understand why google sometimes makes logos that are near impossible to read! I remember one that they made (the USA google.com) that was some sort of underwater theme, and you couldn't even read some of the letters!
    Hover your mouse over the logo and the tooltip will tell you whatever anniverary the logo is remembering.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  16. #16
    SitePoint Enthusiast harriouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea how that even says "Google," or does it?
    hoang harry tran [harrytran.com]
    get RICH quick by going to my site. rich in useless knowledge

    recently redesigned the site, witness its greatness

  17. #17
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    Google tries to distance itself from anything that anyone might possibly find some reason to take offense with, from religion to war.

    http://arstechnica.com/media/news/20...tans-pawns.ars
    Gotta love the above link BPartch

    So when Google turned Ida into a doodle, it was only a matter of hours before backers of creationism charged the Big G with "going ape over the supposed discovery of a 'missing link' in the evolution theory."
    Gotta love those creationists

  18. #18
    I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    4,662
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how many people have so little else to do that they "take offence" and scream bloody murder at something that is little more than an innocent, cute celebration. Whatever Google do with these little doodles, very sad and overly politically correct people will find fault and pick holes with it. The only option to not offend anyone is to not take the plunge (although this is hardly much of a plunge), and if that's what it takes to stop offending people, then the world becomes a boring place.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Enthusiast harriouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    It's amazing how many people have so little else to do that they "take offence" and scream bloody murder at something that is little more than an innocent, cute celebration. Whatever Google do with these little doodles, very sad and overly politically correct people will find fault and pick holes with it. The only option to not offend anyone is to not take the plunge (although this is hardly much of a plunge), and if that's what it takes to stop offending people, then the world becomes a boring place.
    I would imagine anyone whose country lost the war would take offense to a D-Day Google logo. Tetris, on the other hand, isn't really a big deal.
    hoang harry tran [harrytran.com]
    get RICH quick by going to my site. rich in useless knowledge

    recently redesigned the site, witness its greatness

  20. #20
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    It's amazing how many people have so little else to do that they "take offence" and scream bloody murder at something that is little more than an innocent, cute celebration.
    Who's screaming bloody murder? We're just lambasting an incredibly ugly image.

  21. #21
    SitePoint Member Vilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Zeb Khan View Post
    Hi,

    The worst logo of google I have ever seen:

    What you think?
    Quite agree with You but I think it looks funny and its also a good idea, the last time I remember the logo change was on MORSE day and it was an interesting one.

  22. #22
    SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, thats bad.
    They are using it from last few days.


    - Digital -

  23. #23
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,817
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_shubhi View Post
    Really, thats bad.
    They are using it from last few days.
    No - those logos only ever appear for the one day that is the anniversary of the event they relate to. If you are seeing one for longer then it is your computer caching a past logo and not Google continuing to display it.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  24. #24
    I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    4,662
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Who's screaming bloody murder? We're just lambasting an incredibly ugly image.
    Maybe I should've been more specific - I was referring to the people who criticise Google for omitting certain celebrations whilst including others, in the Ars Technica article.

  25. #25
    SitePoint Member MoneyBagz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere on this planet
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't even see the word "Google" in it, that's horrible


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •