User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP and ASP on Localhost?

Hi,

I'm using XP Pro and dabbling with some pretty nifty .NET.
    I installed IIS and the framework ok-doke.

But now I want to try some PHP on my 'localhost'. I've installed WAMPServer, but unfortunately when I try to 'stop' IIS and 'start' my WAMPServer, localhost isn't having any of it.

How do I use Localhost to run both IIS and Apache(at different times, of course).
    I had considered Virtual Hosting, but it seemed too tricky

Thanks for any tips guys

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easiest way would be to configure IIS to serve PHP. You could then even have PHP and ASP.NET running in the same application side-by-side.

Second option would be to configure the apache instance in WAMP to listen on a different port. Not sure off the top of my head how to do this, but google should help.

Third option would be to get IIS off port 80, but that is a fair bit more involved than 1 or 2.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call.

I've actually just disabled IIS and enabled WampServer, but I see this becoming a pain down the line.

With the first option, is there an easy enough way to do this? Would this be installing Apache alongside IIS?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, PHP runs fine on IIS. Sometimes it can be a bit tricky to setup, and there are definitely cases where things behave differently because you are running on IIS (or windows) and even what mode you are running on in IIS (ISAPI or CGI). But for most purposes they behave identically.

Now, some PHP apps really want apache because they either interface directly with it or rely on URL rewriting.