SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with menu

I have a menu which consists of a div containing a unordered list. In the css I have set it to display:none. When you click the header of the list a javascript should change the display value to block. I have made it work with a lot of id:s, functions and if-so statements.

Now I want to get rid of all those extra id, functions and if_so statements and only use one function. But since I am a complete newbie I dont know how to do it.

Heres in the menu I want to rebuild in a more rational way:

bahnhof.se/wb846624/sitepoint/navigation.html

I have tried with firstChild and nextSibling but I cannot get it work. Any tip is very welcome!!! Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find it helpful to view attributes of the node your working with. It would help you see gotchas like how the nextSibling is a text node, or it could be an html comment etc...

You could use a loop.

Code JavaScript:
    // onclick handler for those "header" links
    function showMenu() {
        var elem = this.nextSibling;
        while (elem !== null) {
            if (elem.nodeName === 'DIV') {
                elem.style.display = elem.style.display === 'none' ? 'block' : 'none';
                break;
            }
            elem = elem.nextSibling;
        }
    }
    Notice how we skip any sibling that isn't a div, and that I test for the possibility that there might not be a nextSibling, although that wouldn't happen with your current html.