SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Validation via Dreamweaver v's W3C - Different results?

I always validate my web pages / sites as i design them and ensure that any errors are corrected, to do this i have been using the inbuilt validation tool in Dreamweaver (CS3).

As i am currently looking at re-doing my own website so i thought it'd be a good idea to apply for membership of the UK Web Design Association (UKWDA) as i figure it may be a useful selling point, certainly can't be harmful!! Anyway in order to apply it appears you need to submit 3 sites which will validate etc.

As a quick check before applying i used the validation link on their website (which goes to the W3C validation service) and provides the results of validation for a given page.... now this is where i am confused, the url i provided is part of a site that validates in its entirity via dreamweaver, yet when it is validated directly on the W3C site it gave me 15 errors???

Has anyone else found the Dreamweaver false validation to be an issue and how have you dealt with it?

The dreamweaver validation tool is extremely useful given that it is right there in the app, no extra effort is needed etc. and it allows for the entire to be checked in a single press of the button, but what use is it the results don't match W3C??? Is there a setting i have missed?

James

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've stopped revolving my life around whether or not a site validates, for a couple reasons.

I've found that many times, Javascript code gets interpreted as errors in HTML and it's just not worth it to recode all the Javascript to have a page pass. Even simple things like using & for query strings can make coding some Javascript a nightmare of confusion.

Also, PHP code to the top of a webpage sometimes creates an error in the validator, where for some reason the doctype declaration isn't seen. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Haven't figured out why yet.

So these days I've been using the W3C rules as just a guideline and aim for validation as far as possible, but not religiously.

But those two issues I mentioned up there I'm sure are typical of many of the other reasons why you may get different validation results between different tests. Some tests may falsely detect somethings, others may not. Some tests may have more up-to-date rules than others.

It doesn't surprise me that you're getting different results. And I doubt there's much you can do about that.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweavers validation is not quite the same as W3's so don't bother validating with dreamweaver-W3 is the only thing you should be validating against.
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UKWDA seems to be dead, I joined it years back but never got anything from it save the odd visitor. You can't even modify your profile info now.