SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Starting an open source project

Hi everyone,

I'm having a not so common question.

for my trainee period at an ICT company I had to build a proper PHP search engine/framework which has to make it possible to setup a fast, simple and flexible search function that can search anything you want: text / holiday accomodations / projects / anything stored in a db.

The problem with current search frameworks is that they are inflexible or slow or forcing an installation on a webserver or having to much load (like indexes etc) or a combination.

So I build one myself. And what I have build is quite good, as I may say so

It is small, lightweight, it doesn't depend on a specific inputtype, etc.
    In short: it does the job, has a great potential, but isn't exactly finished yet.

But as it does the job, and i'm not a trainee anymore but being in the pay of, its for the company quit expensive to 'finish' it.

So now the idea is, and being challenged, to bring this framework out as open source.

Are there people here on the sitepoint forum who have experience setting up an open source project?

- My idea is to make up a catchy name
    - Deploy the code on code.google
    - Make a nice website around it
    - Setting up documentation what is does, and what I like it to be doing (is this correct grammar?)

- and then ...

1. wait?
    2. Is this it?
    3. Are there any pitfalls?
    4. Tell here your story!

Thank you!

William

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, it seems i've brought something up that is indeed not so obvious to answer.. I think its an interesting topic to talk on. Maybe you have something - tips / ideas - about this topic in general?

Anyway, Thanks for your time reading this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how much time you have to work on the project.

I developed a module for the ez publish content management system and am still working to complete it ready for adding to the ez publish modules/addons section of the ez.no website.

However, we have a version of it that works for the company so the motivation to keep working on it just so I can release it as open source for the community to work on is no so strong :-)

If you have the time to work on it, then that's great.

My only advice would be to spend more time on the documentation for your project and less or zero time on the "flashy" website - just host it at sourceforge or elsewhere. Why re-invent the wheel?

People working on Open Source projects are far more interested in a software solution to their problem (your search engine for example) than the look of the website it is downloaded from.

My other suggestion is to try and get a working version of your software before you build a site and put a lot of time and energy into the documentatuion and the website.
    People I think are unlikely to contribute to an OSS project that doesn't work "out of the box"

Good luck