User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

inserting into 2 tables correct syntax?

Hi All

I am inserting data from a CSV file into a table in mysql. It works fine but I have now had to split the table into 2 tables.

I need to insert some of the data into the first table then the rest into the second table and loop through untill all of the rows have been completed.

Here are my PHP statements

Original statement:

PHP Code:
      while (($data fgetcsv($handle3000"|")) !== FALSE)

{

mysql_select_db($database_tringAucconn$tringAucconn);

$import="INSERT INTO aItems (aItemCalId,aItemaId,aItemCatId,aItemLotNo,aItemSDesc,aItemLDesc,aItemEst,aItemHam) values('$calId','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[0]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[2]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[3]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[4]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[5]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[6]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[8]) . "')";

mysql_query($import) or die(mysql_error());

fclose($handle); 
    New query:

PHP Code:
      while (($data fgetcsv($handle3000"|")) !== FALSE)

{

mysql_select_db($database_tringAucconn$tringAucconn);

$import="INSERT INTO aItems (aItemCalId,aItemaId,aItemCatId,aItemLotNo,aItemSDesc,aItemLDesc,aItemEst,aItemHam) values('$calId','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[0]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[2]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[3]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[4]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[5]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[6]) . "','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[8]) . "')";

mysql_query($import) or die(mysql_error());

$ims="INSERT INTO aImages (aImagesCalId,aImagesLotNo,aImagesThumb,aImagesLarge) values('$calId','" mysql_real_escape_string($data[3]) . "','default.png','default.png')";

mysql_query($ims) or die(mysql_error());

}

fclose($handle); 
    Can anyone confirm if this is right before I deploy this to the live database?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi mickthetree,

that looks mostly right. Im not sure you have to keep selecting the database in the loop...but if your original code worked so will the new code...as in, it will insert stuff into 2 different tables

Why dont you just try it on a test server?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are inserting data to two separate tables in same database then you dont need that select_db inside the loop because you never change database in the process. It will be just useless query every looping round.