User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello...
    I think Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are far better than Opera so why to use it...

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r4karte View Post
    Hello...
    I think Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are far better than Opera so why to use it...
    Because not everyone thinks the same as you?
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Enthusiast ArticleScholar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to try this one, FF's giving up on me O_O

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using Opera up until the past (6) months, now I'm using FireFox. I find FireFox very bloated and since I'm on a slow connection I have to ask is Opera 10 faster on slow connections even as slow as dial up ? I'm also considering Chrome since Chrome 2.0 has be taken out of final version. The only sour note with Opera is not all web pages load proper on it and I was using version 9.x before switching to FF. Anyone have any comments on Chrome 2.0, cause I'm seriously considering dumping FireFox if Chrome is faster.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    I was using Opera up until the past (6) months, now I'm using FireFox. I find FireFox very bloated and since I'm on a slow connection I have to ask is Opera 10 faster on slow connections even as slow as dial up ? I'm also considering Chrome since Chrome 2.0 has be taken out of final version. The only sour note with Opera is not all web pages load proper on it and I was using version 9.x before switching to FF. Anyone have any comments on Chrome 2.0, cause I'm seriously considering dumping FireFox if Chrome is faster.
    Well, Opera 10 beta has the Turbo feature which you can set to auto - this speeds up your browsing experience by re-directing your HTTP requests through an Opera compression server. If you're on a slow connection then i'd give it a try

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like they're playing catch up. I wonder when they'll switch to the processes model that Chrome uses, as FF is planning

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opera is a great Internet Browser, but no one ever hears about it. Most people simply go with either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Opera only spent some time actually marketing their desktop browser as an IE killer like Firefox and Chrome, they would gain more market share. I doubt Mozilla or Google would hold grudges against Opera for helping take down IE's market share, especially as they are all after the same thing (in essence), better standards, more flexibility, more innovation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C View Post
    Seems like they're playing catch up. I wonder when they'll switch to the processes model that Chrome uses, as FF is planning
    That's an interesting thought. I didn't know FF was going to follow suit with tab-independent processes. As far as Opera is concerned, I sometimes get a script which freezes one tab, but generally the rest of the program is responsive, and again most of the time I'm able to close the tab if it is a problem. So does Opera need it? Perhaps not

I don't know what you mean by 'playing catch up' - could you explain what you're referring to here? Certainly in terms of the de-bugger, Dragonfly, then yes they are playing catch up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    That's an interesting thought. I didn't know FF was going to follow suit with tab-independent processes. As far as Opera is concerned, I sometimes get a script which freezes one tab, but generally the rest of the program is responsive, and again most of the time I'm able to close the tab if it is a problem. So does Opera need it? Perhaps not

I don't know what you mean by 'playing catch up' - could you explain what you're referring to here? Certainly in terms of the de-bugger, Dragonfly, then yes they are playing catch up.
    The reasoning behind using seperate processes for each tab is not just error recovery, it's a lot more efficient too. The best way to find out about it is to read the comic

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know why you guys think Opera isnt popular. It really is. I personnaly cant wait to get opera 10 (im waiting for release version).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reasoning behind using seperate processes for each tab is not just error recovery, it's a lot more efficient too. The best way to find out about it is to read the comic
    I remember reading that when Chrome came out, but probably just skim-read it. After looking back over it, it does sound convincing. I'll have to look into it more, and see if there is an answer to Opera's plans anywhere.

cheers

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony001 View Post
    I dont know why you guys think Opera isnt popular. It really is.
    You clearly have not seen any publically released market share data for browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The release of the latest version of opera would definitely boost the morale of the die hard fans of opera. But I more frequently use FF and IE than the opera. That's only my preference and nothing against opera

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like using opera because they let me p2p download. Does the new beta is same as the old one? I don't use it. What about its appearance is it still the old ones?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ^You can download the new beta without losing your old Opera. When I load it onto Windows, I make sure the new Opera gets another folder: programs/Opera927, programs/Opera95, programs/Opera964... although I think here the beta already made a new folder... maybe because it was beta?

So, if you're curious about it, you should be able to safely download it. If you don't like it, you still have your old Opera.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reasoning behind using seperate processes for each tab is not just error recovery, it's a lot more efficient too....
    Only more efficient if you have a multi-core/processor system...of course almost every new computer sold today has at least a dual-core processor. That is not to say that it doesn't work on a single-core processor it just won't have any as much as an advantage.

Aside from multi-process tabs, I would also like to see sandboxing be done. IE and Chrome are currently the only browsers in production that do multi-process tabs and sandboxes. Would be nice if the rest did so as well (at least sandboxes).
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast flamenco-uk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Opera almost exclusively since v7. I like its small footprint and general stability.

I have Beta10 in a Windows 7 enviroment 9 (Build7137), but it seems to be crashing fairly frequently, often when using OperaMail (they've relented to allow html in Mail-shame on them )

Otherwise it has a nice feel. Tab isolation ala Chrome (or even IE8 ) would have been a nice bonus...perhaps next time.

Is anyone else having issues with Opera on Windows 7? I haven't debugged to see what's going on yet.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys think of Chrome 2.0, would any suggest switching from FireFox to Chrome 2.0 ?

I liked Opera having using it up until the past six months, but what I don't like is it it does have problems loading most pages.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony001 View Post
    I dont know why you guys think Opera isnt popular. It really is. I personnaly cant wait to get opera 10 (im waiting for release version).
    it's not. they have only about 2% market share. less than Chrome

and it's a shame, because it's by far the best browser currently available on the market.

unless they change that bullsh*t "Opera" name, they will stay at 2%. most people choose firefox just because it's "cooler" name, even tho it's incredibly slow, memory exhaustive and missing a lot of usability features...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SiberianHuskey, please don't hi-jack other peoples threads with questions that are unrelated to the topic.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't Hi-jacking I was just mentioning if anyone used Chrome 2.0. Then I added that Opera doesn't work with some sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were asking about switching from Firefox to Chrome, in a thread about an Opera release.

And Opera works perfectly with virtually all web sites, unless they are exceptionally badly written and/or use incompetent browser sniffing scripts to deliberately exclude Opera or serve inferior content to it.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is Opera on slower connections, can anyone give me any feedback ?
    AutisticCuckoo - You are right about what you said, but usually with some peoples luck the site they visit on a daily basis don't work well with Opera I would still rather switch back to Opera then Chrome if need be, but I know that Chrome is pretty fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    How is Opera on slower connections, can anyone give me any feedback ?
    I've used Opera on 56K dial-up for a long time. Now I've got what passes for 'broadband' around here: a wireless connection that's usually somewhere between 0.5 and 1 Mbit/s.

While on dial-up I disabled non-cached images to speed things up (if I really wanted to see images for a certain page Opera let me do it with a single key press, though).

Nowadays I keep animations, JavaScript and plug-ins disabled, although I do enable JavaScript for trusted sites. I also use the content blocking feature to block advertising images. I find the speed quite adequate; often the servers' response times are the limiting factor.

Opera 10 offers Turbo mode, which sounds like something that might make my surfing from home even more pleasurable. I haven't downloaded the beta yet, though.