User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 7 To Ship Oct. 22, Microsoft Confirms

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ubSection=News

Even though the current RC Beta does not expire till next July... think I'll get it pretty soon after release, seems ready now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to hope and pray that windows 7 doesn't suck like vista did. Personally I would LOVE it if they made it like windows xp, and focused more on speed and stability, rather thant he stupid eye candy/convenience crap that ruined vista.......

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb348 View Post
    ...[that] he stupid eye candy/convenience crap that ruined vista.......
    That isn't what "ruined" Vista. It was the third-party support, the hardware support just wasn't there. The eye candy you are referring to is in fact Vista greatest strength, it freed up the CPU to focus more on the core applications rather then the GUI. Majority of the eye candy was all done in the underutilized GPU and video ram.

Vista has the stability and reliability beyond what XP can offer, and Windows 7 is building on top of the fundation Vista started. Speed is another factor that is shinning in Vista's strength, XP is well over 10 years old hardware has advance so much sense then it can no longer take advantage like Vista and 7 can.

In this age, XP is only good for old and embeded systems, not a modern computer.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    In this age, XP is only good for old and embeded systems, not a modern computer.
    Amen to that, I am currently a proud Vista user now that my hardware is supported properly. Though in respect to Windows 7 being released... YEY!

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll be upgrading the day it comes out (hopefully), not because I dislike Vista (I built my desktop to manage it without any troubles) but because it's the first time I believe windows will offer something 'else' other than just a more modern OS.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RC1 I am running is pretty good...Hoping to get the full version soon

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I will be definitely upgrading to Windows 7, from Windows XP. I'm glad that it is going to be released this year and that they have optimized it so it runs much more better on most systems no matter what the hardware. I've read some speculation on what the price may be, and if the price is what I've read it's very sweet.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ntrig just released Windows 7 touch drivers for my multitouch laptop, so I can use all the multitouch features built into Win7 now

One of the reasons the taskbar is taller than it used to be is so that it's easier to touch the buttons with a finger, and flick to open the jump lists

Going to do the upgrade on the laptop this weekend, I already run 7 on one of my desktops

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 7 on my main machine and 7 on my laptop, both rc1, but been messing with the beta the last 6 or so ilterations.

Looking forward to rc2 soon.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodFTA View Post
    ...Looking forward to rc2 soon.
    There is not going to be an RC2, before the end of July its going to be RTM (Release to Manufacturing) then there DVDs, packaging, etc will be produced. Should then see the first copies on store shelves around October.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not very excited about seven, its only a slight improvement over vista, is not a breakthrough.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read here that the RTM will be available on June 26th: http://www.askvg.com/windows-7-rtm-on-june-26th-2009/ dunno if this is true or not.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try to get my hands on it if it was released next week, but then again I may just end up waiting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother's running Windows 7 right now and i used it for a while today. Altogether it was impressively fast, never seemed bogged down or bloated, and was overall pretty intuitive. I'm excited for it!