SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using domains to improve search engine rankings in UK, US & Australia???

Hi,

I am trying to rank my website in .com, .co.uk and .com.au search engine listings.

Currently I have a .com domain name and am doing ok in US listings, but I really want to improve UK and Australian rankings.

Would it be enough to buy the .co.uk and .com.au versions of my domain and simply forward them to my .com domain?

How would the search engines know about these domains? would I have to promote seperately?

Would it be better to create three seperate websites with fresh content?

Sorry for all the questions, as always your help is appreciated!

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a slightly loaded question but I'll do my best to explain. As an FYI, I'm only referring to Google and ignoring Yahoo and MSN for purposes of simplicity.

If you were to purchase other country specific TLD's and use a 301 redirect to your .com it's simply a waste of money. Google isn't going to rank you in the Australian or UK results just because you're forwarding your domains.

You will need to create different content for each of your geographic areas. This may seem like a hassle at first but when you really think about it the content should be different anyway. If you're company is large enough to represent itself in 3 different, and large countries then it's a good idea to cater to the appropriate market in each of those countries. The market will never be the same in the US as it is in Australia and the UK respectively.

That being said, you don't actually need to purchase the other country specific TLD's. You could create subdomains or even subdirectories (subdomains are better) for each of your geographic areas such as uk.domain.com and au.domain.com. If you use Google Webmaster Tools (http://www.google.com/webmasters) you'll be able to associate each of your subdomains with a specific geographic area such as the UK. Maile Ohye from Google's crawl team has confirmed that using this tactic with subdomains and Webmaster Tools is just as effective as using alternate country specific TLD's.

Just don't forget to tailor the content of each subdomain or TLD to that particular geographic area.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The Aussie's also won't let anyone outside OZ to get one of their domains (I don't know about the UK). Felgall's already written about that extensively. Therefore, Hyper's subdomain (or subdirectory) idea is about the best you can do.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the detailed response, I didnt realise I didn't realise they would be as effective - i'll do that. I can also tailor the content is just that some things are the same or very similar (product descriptions for example).

I am a bit worried about being penalised for 'duplicate' content - even though it won't be exactly the same on all sub-domains and main site.

Thanks again for your help, I better get started!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have posted while I was writing! i've actually got an Australian business number so could probably get a .com.au domain but if the sub-domain is just as good I might not bother...

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have the australian business number then the .com.au would be worth it not for the search engines but for all the Australians who automatically type the .au on the end of web addresses. Even if it redirects to your main site it will still bring extra Australians there who might otherwise have typed the .au and either ended up with a not found message or worse ended up on a competitors site. I got the .com.au version of my main domain mostly so I could redirect emails where people accidentally type the .au
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the .com.au version of my main domain mostly so I could redirect emails where people accidentally type the .au
    Now that makes me curious. How effective has it been? Are you counting the number of redirects?
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Now that makes me curious. How effective has it been? Are you counting the number of redirects?
    The same here. Why don;t just have emails with COM on all satellites you are going to have for your core web site?