SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for lightweight ORM implementation

Arborint and I are going to be working on a lightweight ORM in the same vein as our Pagination classes. Basically, we want to write something that will fill the void between a Table Data Gateway/Active Record implementation and heavy duty ORMs like Doctrine or Propel. Ideally it would be a layered solution, possibly even built over Skeleton's existing TDG or AR classes. We are using Fowler's ORM patterns as a starting point, but may go in a couple of different directions depending on where the code takes us.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what they would like to see in a lightweight ORM. Any input would be very much appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have for a while maintained a simple database query library, which you might label a lightweight orm. It might offer you some inspiration. It doesn't try to map relations and it doesn't try to track identity, which are the two most problematic issues of orm. I think the moment you venture down that route, it's hard to stop before you have a full blown orm.
    Last edited by kyberfabrikken; Jun 2, 2009 at 03:37. Reason: formatting of link

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    1.) mapping relations
    2.) eager loading
    3.) projection elimination
    4.) support for calculated columns defined at run-time (specifically for groups with joins)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
    I have for a while maintained a simple database query library, which you might label a lightweight orm. It might offer you some inspiration. It doesn't try to map relations and it doesn't try to track identity, which are the two most problematic issues of orm. I think the moment you venture down that route, it's hard to stop before you have a full blown orm.
    Cool. I've seen that library before, but I'll check it out. We definitely want to map relations and will probably be tracking identity, so if it does end up a full-blown ORM, so be it. We're more committed to providing proper persistence for a rich domain layer than staying lightweight, though we would prefer to keep it simple if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by oddz
    1.) mapping relations
    Definitely.

2.) eager loading
    Definitely, and lazy loading/batch lazy loading. However, I think I remember your AR solution doing these at runtime... we will probably be setting up default loading styles in our mappings. If you think it's worthwhile to support modifying the defaults at runtime, we'll definitely look into it.

3.) projection elimination
    What is this?

4.) support for calculated columns defined at run-time (specifically for groups with joins)
    Sure, though I don't know about at runtime. That seems like something that should be set up in the mappings, and not something that should change at runtime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure you already know about my project, but you may want to check out phpDataMapper, and especially the goals page. It also aims to be a super lightweight ORM that already has support for table relations and a few other nice things. I would love to have some help on developing it further if you and your partner are interested in helping. It's obviously not an active record (AR) like you mentioned wanting to make, but I think if you really look at both patterns, the data mapper pattern is much better and more loosely coupled from the data itself. Let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Czaries View Post
    It's obviously not an active record (AR) like you mentioned wanting to make, but I think if you really look at both patterns, the data mapper pattern is much better and more loosely coupled from the data itself.
    Hmm... I hope I didn't say that! I'm not a fan of AR and have no intention of writing an ORM that implements AR

Let me know.
    I'm sending you an email.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allspiritseve View Post
    Ideally it would be a layered solution, possibly even built over Skeleton's existing TDG or AR classes.
    That's where I got the "AR" part . I checked my email, and don't have anything from you yet. Send it to vance -at- vancelucas -dot- com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's where I got the "AR" part . I checked my email, and don't have anything from you yet. Send it to vance -at- vancelucas -dot- com.
    All I meant was that we might use those classes internally... the external interface would be implementing DataMapper or Repository.

I'm getting there... trying to get some items up in Craigslist before class starts.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just start from the usage point of view:

PHP Code:
    // New object
    $user = new User();

// Load object
    $user = new User(5);

// Change object
    $user->name 'bob';
    $user->password 'foo';
    $user->profile->description 'new profile';

// Save/update object to db
    if ($user->save()) {

// All good
    }else{

// get errors

$errors $user->getErrors();
    }

// Find objects (no sql)
    $users User::findBy_name('bob');

// Find objects (no sql)
    $users User::findBy_name_and_password('bob','foo');

// Find objects (yes, sql in here)
    $users User::findWhere('user_id IN (1,2,3)');

// Get linked objects (1 to 1)
    echo $user->profile->description;

// Get linked objects (1 to n)
    echo $user->messages[3]->title;

// Get linked objects (m to 1)
    echo $user->flag->value
    I have three ORMs that do this:
    - one very lightweight: no relationships, used more as a DTO/DAO for small projects, 100-200 lines of code. (model only contains the fields of the table)
    - one simple one: has all relationships, used as a DTO/DAO, 200-300 lines of code. (model only contains the fields and keys of the table)
    - one more complicated: has all relationships, validation rules, caching, etc, used more as a framework, ~1000 lines. (model also contains some validation rules and messages for each field).

Once late static binding becomes available (php 5.3.0+), the my classes should become much faster.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This is my systems usage:

PHP Code:
    // empty object
    $user = new User();

// load object
    $user = new User(5);

// change object
    $user['name'] = 'bob';
    $user['password'] = 'foo';
    $user->profile->description 'new profile info';

// save/update to db
    try {

$user->save();
    } catch(
    Exception $e) {

$e->getMessage();
    }

// Find objects
    $users User::find(array('name'=>'bob'));

// Find objects
    $users User::find(array('name'=>'bob','pwd'=>'foo'));

// Find objects
    $users User::find(array('user_id IN'=>array(1,2,3)));

// get linked objects 1:1 (run-time joining)
    $users user::find(array('include'=>'profile','id'=>3));

// get linked objects 1:1 (lazy)
    echo $user->profile->description;

// get linked objects 1:1 (gateway)
    echo $user->getProfile()->description;

// get linked objects 1:n (run-time joining)
    $user user::find(array('include'=>'messages','id'=>3));

// get linked objects 1:n (lazy)
    echo $user->messages[3]->title

// get linked objects (gateway) 
    $messages $user->getMessages(array('limit'=>20,'offset'=>20));
    $messages[3]->title
    Usage of dynamic columns:

PHP Code:
    // order users by year created
    $users User::find(
        array(

'dynamic'=>array(

'user_year'=>'YEAR({this}.created)'

)
    'sort'=>array(

'user_year'=>'DESC'

)
        )
    );
    $users[3]->user_year
    More practical Use (counting number of messages per user):

PHP Code:
    // order users by year created
    $users User::find(
        array(

'dynamic'=>array(

'message_total'=>'COUNT(Message.id)'

,'user_year'=>'YEAR({this}.created)'

)
    'sort'=>array(

'user_year'=>'DESC'

)
    'include'=>array(

'messages'

)
    'group'=>'id'

)
        ,array(

'require'=>false

)
    );
    $users[3]->message_total
    Here is another fun one. This would retrieve all the blogs comments with with a limit and offset. All in a single query.

PHP Code:
    $subquery BlogComment::find(
    'subquery'

,array(

'status <>'=>0

,'blog_id'=>89

,'limit'=>20

,'offset'=>19

)
    );

$blog Blog::find(
    'one'

,array(

'include'=>$subquery

,'id'=>89

)
        ,array(

'require'=>false

,'association'=>array(

'id'=>'t0_blog_id'

)
    'rename'=>'comments'

,'propertyType'=>'many'

)
    );

foreach(
    $blog->comments) {

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate you guys posting your interfaces, but I think that sort of belies the complexity of the code behind the interface. Just for starters, how does the system get from a database table to an object [and back again]? How much flexibility does the developer have in separating the domain and data layers? These are the first of many questions to be asked, and none really have an easy answer.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    allspiritseve, that's the fun part for you to figure out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vali View Post
    allspiritseve, that's the fun part for you to figure out
    Yeah, yeah, I see how this ends... I bet I'll spend months on this thing, pour my heart and soul into it, and then come back looking for feedback and get a "It looks too complicated..."

Seriously though... if I had this library done right now, and told you to go check it out, what would it include? What features are a must for an ORM? I think I've got methods that start with find covered...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted all the requirements of an ORM.
    From the usage point of view, you won't need more than the stuff I posted in my previous post.

See oddzes post, he has the same functionality I do, but presented in a different way.

How you make it work on the inside is not important, that's the beauty of OOP, all you need to know is the INs and OUTs, the stuff in between can change no problem (and usually changes when it gets optimized).

Ps:
    - I posted my class line numbers, to give you an idea of how much code is in there, a few days (with the test cases), not months.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't consider my solution "lightweight". Maybe medium weight. Just to give you an idea currently there are 38 classes and 10 interfaces. Some files are only 20 lines while others are 500+. I've been working on my own for about 7 months now on off. Within the last couple of months though is when things began to really come together to a point I'm happy with. I probably couldn't begin to discuss in any meaningful manor all the algorithms involved. As time has progressed my system has changed dramatically. Don't necessarily worry about covering everything. Just begin and use a interface that makes it painless to modify and add to existing functionality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddz View Post
    I wouldn't consider my solution "lightweight". Maybe medium weight. Just to give you an idea currently there are 38 classes and 10 interfaces. Some files are only 20 lines while others are 500+.
    No, you're right, medium weight's about right. I'm not quite sure whether there's any ORM functionality though... both yours and Vali's examples look like ActiveRecord to me.

Don't necessarily worry about covering everything. Just begin and use a interface that makes it painless to modify and add to existing functionality.
    Well, if I were coding just for myself I'd probably go that route, but since it's for the Skeleton framework we're trying to get an idea of what a 2/3 use case would cover.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The ActiveRecord pattern maps object properties to table fields and tables to models. It is a object-relational mapper. Either way both the Gateway and ActiveRecord pattern provide a object-oriented interface for communicating with the database. One is not superior to the other in opinion. They both have their weaknesses and advantages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ActiveRecord pattern maps object properties to table fields and tables to models. It is a object-relational mapper. Either way both the Gateway and ActiveRecord pattern provide a object-oriented interface for communicating with the database.
    An AR implementation can be an ORM, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. The core concept in an ORM is mapping between objects and a relational database, and that word inherently implies some differences between the two. From what I can tell from the code you've posted, your object properties map 1:1 to database fields. This is really common, and is how Ruby's AR implementation works as far as I know, but the reason ORMs are so complex is because they need to map one property to two fields, or one property to another object, or two properties to one field, or two objects to one table, etc. And that isn't even getting into loading strategies and identity maps.

There are really only subtle interface differences between a system that is a true ORM and one that maps 1:1, hence me saying the simplicity of the interface belies the complexity of the code beneath. Heck, you could even wrap an ORM in an AR interface that delegates all loading and saving to the system, that's just changing the interface. But there's a lot more to ORM than an object-oriented interface for working with the database.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allspiritseve
    but the reason ORMs are so complex is because they need to map one property to two fields, or one property to another object, or two properties to one field, or two objects to one table, etc. And that isn't even getting into loading strategies and identity maps.
    I've found that handling that at run-time makes the system more flexible, generic and reusable. An identity map can be something as simple as a primary key. The one requirement in my system that every table must have a primary key. Without that primary key there isn't a way to identify unique records which would make projection elimination and recursive saving impossible.

The other constraint that goes along with this is that every table can only have one primary key. Otherwise, resolving associations between models and saving hierarchies would become a mess. Other then that though everything else is pretty much open field.

The identity of a record is then tracked based on its class name and primary key value. This makes it possible to eliminate all repeating data in a result set consisting of any number of joins. Every table that is apart of the join can be related to a a model and every record within each individual table can be uniquely identified by the primary key. Thus, the primary key of any table in a join sequence is always included.

Furthermore, I believe that the usability and flexibility of the system is more important then adhering to any pattern. Patterns exist as a guide not a solution. I think people care more about flexibility and ease of use then what patterns were used. I know I certainly do. The implementation can be as complex as it needs to be, but the interface which people will directly use the system needs to be as straightforward as possible. If a rule needs to be broken to simplify the interface then so be it.

I'm a huge proponent of OO thinking, but personally I rather do this:

PHP Code:
    user::find(array('id'=>89)); 
    then this:

PHP Code:
    $config = new ActiveRecordFindConfig();
    $config->setFilter(array('id'=>89));

user::find($config); 
    The former is much nicer to use although the ladder conforms for to the OO way of thinking.

So the common ground between the two is to use arrays and have the system convert those arrays to the proper object. This eliminates an extra step on behalf of the person using the system.
    Last edited by oddz; Jun 2, 2009 at 19:38.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oddz, did you run any benchmarks on your system?
    Mine does everything yours does (i think), and only have 3 classes, 1 interface, and about 1000 lines of code. (+1 6 line class per table).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that handling that at run-time makes the system more flexible, generic and reusable.
    It's flexible, generic and reusable because it makes you do all the work at runtime. If I have to define mappings at runtime I'd rather just code SQL by hand and not have to work with passing a huge array of configuration.

Every table that is a part of the join can be related to a model
    You're still assuming a 1:1 relationship between table and domain object.

Furthermore, I believe that the usability and flexibility of the system is more important then adhering to any pattern. Patterns exist as a guide not a solution. I think people care more about flexibility and ease of use then what patterns were used. I know I certainly do. The implementation can be as complex as it needs to be, but the interface which people will directly use the system needs to be as straightforward as possible. If a rule needs to be broken to simplify the interface then so be it.
    Your interface is fine. As I said before, there's only subtle differences between yours and a true ORM. It's the implementation that makes the difference. As far as patterns go: I don't care what you call it, your class is not flexible enough nor easy enough to use to map differences between the domain and the database. To me, that's an essential requirement for anything more complex than a generic Table Data Gateway that works with arrays.

I'm a huge proponent of OO thinking, but personally I rather do this:
    I'm not sure what the second example is representative of, but here's what I would do:
    PHP Code:
    $userMapper->findById(89); 
    So the common ground between the two is to use arrays and have the system convert those arrays to the proper object. This eliminates an extra step on behalf of the person using the system.
    Oh, I think I understand. You're talking about how to configure an object to get what you want. I think both examples are indicative of your preference for setting configuration at runtime. However, a little work when you write the class can pay off: you said yourself IDs were required in your system. In that case, a method like findById ($id) makes things easy so you don't have to configure, you just pass the necessary data.

Of course, you can take that too far by having a method for every single property in your domain object. Some sort of generic finder methods needs to be included that either use arrays, as yours does, an Object Query Language (OQL), or straight SQL. Personally, I find large nested arrays difficult to work with, and easy to mess up because there's no real interface to use. I've struggled myself on finding a good OQL that I like, but to be honest I think I'd prefer writing fragments of SQL for non-standard finders. You can't beat it's expressiveness, at least not in PHP.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    PHP Code:
    =

PHP Code:
    $u = new User(89); 
    The problem with hard coding different find methods is that the model file must be changed. By providing a interface to do anything at run-time the model never needs to be touched. Furthermore, routing everything to one method to find everything supports the DRY principle. How the model finds what it is looking for is best a decided at run-time in my opinion. Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of similar methods that aren't very flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by allspiritseve
    Personally, I find large nested arrays difficult to work with, and easy to mess up because there's no real interface to use.
    Actually the finder does have a interface. The array is converted by the system though.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    /*
    * ActiveRecord will only communicate with find config through this interface
    */
    interface IActiveRecordFindConfig {

// allowed only for first/main argument

const findInclude 'include';
        const 
    findLimit 'limit';    
        const 
    findOffset 'offset';

/*
        * Determines what specific fields to select from model. If not supplied all fields selected. regardless of whether
        * or not this is specified the primary key for the model will be selected.
        */

const findSelect 'select';

/*
        * determines what columns to omit from select if supplied
        */

const findNonSelect 'deselect';

/*
        * Any "made up" fields you would like to essentially overload into the model. For example, this may be used to add
        * a calculated field that uses fields from various included models. Ie. array('href'=>'Concat('<a href="',Bid.user_id,'">',Project.title,'</a>')')
        * The system will go through a replace the model names with the appropriate aliases if used in this way.
        */

const findDynamic 'dynamic';

/*
        * The main difference between a filter and a condition is that a filter can be transformed and the key name is the column with one
        * exception. Tat exception being that any ( or ) character are extracted and reapplied, then what is left is used as the column name. This
        * is done to allow grouping of conditions easilly. Ie. array('(id'=>array('? OR id=? OR id=?)',9,8,7)). Filters are also magical in the sense
        * that you need not specify a filter key. You may place filters directly in the argument array and anything that isn't a keyword
        * will assumed to be a filter. For example. array('limit'=>9,'id'=>10) - In this instance id will be extracted as a filter becasue limit
        * is a keyword for the finder mechanism.
        */

const findFilter 'filter';

/*
        * A condition is essentially the same as a filter but, allows precise control over input. A condition uses the keys
        * within as names of the condition. These need not relate to columns in the model though. They are just names which
        * may be refered to in the filterMap. The value of a condition has keys 0-2 (3). The first is the left side 
        * second operator third right side. If a array is used for either key 0 or 2 the first key inside that array is embedded
        * and the rest are bound. So you should use placeholders ? to determine where that bound data goes.
        * . Ie. 'condition'=>array('myFilter'=>array('Project.created','>=',array('FROM_UNIXTIME(?)','5')))
        * Conditions are not based on belonging to the model which the argument resides. Therefore, if you have included a blog_comment
        * instead of specifying a second argument array you may just use a condition and the model will be aliased as appropriate.
        * Ie. array('include'=>'blog_entry','condition'=>array('id'=>array('BlogEntry.id','=',9))).
        */

const findCondition 'condition';

const 
    findSort 'sort';
        const 
    findGroup 'group';
        const 
    findHaving 'having';

/*
        * The join type for a related table. This is essentially ireelevant for the first table/main model
        */

const findJoinType 'join';

/*
        * Similar to findJoinType but this option is less specific and shouldbe a boolean. If the boolean is true
        * and the join type has not been declared then join type will default to inner. If the boolean is false
        * then the join type will default to left. However, if the joinType has been specified then this option
        * is essentially ignored becasue joinType option is more specific.
        */

const findRequireJoin 'require';

/*
        * Allows precise control over how conditions are placed together via name. This option
        * works alongside the condition option by using the names of the conditions and replacing them
        * with the actual condition values. Ie. 'filterMap'=>'({name} OR {name2})' This would look 
        * to the conditions and find conditions with the specified names then place then replace the name with the appropriate string
        * and use that as the filter. You may also pass a array for this option. The values that follow the first will be bound
        * to the query. Therefore, you would use ? placeholders in the filgterMap to specify where the bound data goes.
        */

const findConditionMap 'conditionMap';

const 
    findInvisible 'cloak';

// deselects all columns including primary key. This is useful for subqueries where one
        // may only wish to return one column

const findEmpty 'empty';

const 
    findAssociation 'association';
        const 
    findAssociationPropertyName 'rename';
        const 
    findAssociationPropertyType 'propertyType';

public function 
    getInclude();
        public function 
    getLimit();
        public function 
    getOffset();
        public function 
    getSelect();
        public function 
    getNonSelect();
        public function 
    getDynamic();
        public function 
    getCondition();
        public function 
    getConditionMap();
        public function 
    getFilter();
        public function 
    getGroup();
        public function 
    getSort();
        public function 
    getJoinType();
        public function 
    getRequireJoin();
        public function 
    getHaving();
        public function 
    getMagicalFilter();
        public function 
    getInvisible();
        public function 
    getEmpty();
        public function 
    getAssociation();
        public function 
    getAssociationPropertyName();
        public function 
    getAssociationPropertyType();

public function 
    hasInclude();
        public function 
    hasLimit();
        public function 
    hasOffset();
        public function 
    hasSelect();
        public function 
    hasNonSelect();
        public function 
    hasDynamic();
        public function 
    hasCondition();
        public function 
    hasConditionMap();
        public function 
    hasFilter();
        public function 
    hasGroup();
        public function 
    hasSort();
        public function 
    hasHaving();
        public function 
    hasJoinType();
        public function 
    hasRequireJoin();
        public function 
    hasMagicalFilter();
        public function 
    hasInvisible();
        public function 
    hasEmpty();
        public function 
    hasAssociation();
        public function 
    hasAssociationPropertyName();
        public function 
    hasAssociationPropertyType();

}
    ?>
    As does the model:

PHP Code:
    <?php
    interface IActiveRecordModelConfig {

const 
    defaultPrimaryKeyName 'id';

const 
    table                    'table';
        const 
    fields                 'fields';
        const 
    primaryKey             'primaryKey';
        const 
    uniqueKeys            'uniqueKeys';
        const 
    foreignKeys             'foreignKeys';
        const 
    transformations        'transformations';
        const 
    dataTypes                'dataTypes';
        const 
    requiredFields        'requiredFields';
        const 
    defaultValues            'defaults';
        const 
    cascadeDelete            'cascadeDelete';
        const 
    links                    'links';
        const 
    hasOne                 'hasOne';
        const 
    hasMany                 'hasMany';
        const 
    belongsTo             'belongsTo';
        const 
    belongsToAndHasMany     'belongsToAndHasMany';    

public function 
    getClassName();
        public function 
    getTable();
        public function 
    getFields();
        public function 
    getPrimaryKey();
        public function 
    getUniqueKeys();
        public function 
    getForeignKeys();
        public function 
    getTransformations();
        public function 
    getDataTypes();
        public function 
    getRequiredFields();
        public function 
    getDefaultValues();
        public function 
    getCascadeDelete();
        public function 
    getLinks();
        public function 
    gethasOne();
        public function 
    getHasMany();
        public function 
    getBelongsTo();
        public function 
    getBelongsToAndHasMany();

public function 
    hasClassName();
        public function 
    hasTable();
        public function 
    hasFields();
        public function 
    hasPrimaryKey();
        public function 
    hasUniqueKeys();
        public function 
    hasForeignKeys();
        public function 
    hasTransformations();
        public function 
    hasDataTypes();
        public function 
    hasRequiredFields();
        public function 
    hasDefaultValues();
        public function 
    hasCascadeDelete();
        public function 
    hasLinks();
        public function 
    hasOne();
        public function 
    hasMany();
        public function 
    hasBelongsTo();
        public function 
    hasBelongsToAndHasMany();

public function 
    getRelatedField(IActiveRecordModelConfig $pConfig);
        public static function 
    getModelConfig($pClassName);

}
    ?>
    All forms of communication between the outside world happen through those interfaces for find and model configs. Arrays are just easier to manage in terms of practical usage in my opinion. However, everything has a interface of some sort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP Code:
    =

PHP Code:
    $u = new User(89); 
    Yup. Subtle difference in the interface.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allspiritseve View Post
    Yup. Subtle difference in the interface.
    I'm not sure I would call that subtle. I think it's a very big difference if the User can retrieve itself from the database, which couples the domain layer with the persistance layer, and if the domain layer is unaware of the persistance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    I'm not sure I would call that subtle. I think it's a very big difference if the User can retrieve itself from the database, which couples the domain layer with the persistance layer, and if the domain layer is unaware of the persistance.
    Well... I agree

I guess my point was just that the interface isn't really that indicative of the underlying complexity. For instance, I could make a properly separated Mapper look like AR by passing it in the constructor of a domain object and delegating finders and save() to it. You wouldn't know from looking at the interface compared to a standard AR that one contains persistence logic and the other doesn't. Hence the subtle.