User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver And Standards Compliant Code

Hi All,

I'm working on a job for a client who passed the job on to me.

I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 to code the pages. All CSS based and looks perfect in my version of Dreamweaver. However in the clients version of Dreamweaver CS2 the layout she says is all jumbled all over the place. Is there a setting that she may be missing in CS2 and how can this be solved because I'm sure CS2 supports standards based design using CSS.

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use DW to preview a web page - use a proper web browser. It's well known that DW's page renedring leaves a lot to be desired

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The general consensus is that visual editors are notoriously bad at standards, Dreamweaver is no exception to the rule as a WYSIWYG editor, even though it is better than many unless you hand coded your design and previewed it in a proper browser rather than the preview window (which is a hidiously outdated version of existing browsers) you are essentially left with poor code or a sloppy preview. Standards is not something that visual editors do well by any stretch of the imagination.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver is good for a general idea of how the site your designing is going..... but just as been said, the only way of being sure is constant testing on the main browsers

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However in the clients version of Dreamweaver CS2 the layout she says is all jumbled all over the place.
    There was no DW CS2 - do you mean DW8?

You have to realise that every version of DW has gotten better at previewing CSS layouts, CS4 being the best to date of course. However, even this version has problems with rendering some types of layouts (I know that from experience :-) event though they are written to standards with no validation errors etc.,

If she can't update, then it's best she works in code view and previews the pages in a browser as she works - that's how it should be done anyway.

No editor with a preview (I won't say WYSIWYG - because no editor can reliably layouts - too many inconsistencies cross browser), even though the latest version of DW does do a very good job of it.

Can't recall whether DW8 had this, I doubt it, but make sure 'Style Rendering' is set to the correct format and there was another setting to ensure that the Styles were switched on correctly.

Just found a reference to what I was looking for - but again, not sure if this is available in her version:

Make sure that displaying styles in turned on here:
    View > Style Rendering > Display Styles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's even a quick shortcut to "preview in browser" while you're in dreamweaver under the file menu. So there's no real reason to need to rely on dreamweaver to preview the site other than working in split mode occasionally for a different perspective on your layout.