SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to get employed as web developer?

Hello,

I started playing around with Dreamweaver 4 when I was 12 years old. When I was 14, I started picking up HTML and CSS. Not only that - I can script in PHP, and when spending some time reading manuals, I am also able to work with MySQL. Obviously I don't have much problem working with Content Management Systems, forums, etc.

The problem is that I have never worked on any of large web sites. I am afraid to send my resume anywhere like that.

I would like to believe that it is possible for me to earn my living in this field. I even got a job paying $20/hour for someone through Craigslist, but it's only 3 hours per week. This is far from enough. This was on first try, but the advertisement seemed to hit me on the spot, so I am afraid I just got lucky. The employer is more than happy with me, I am being called a genius every time I go to work, but it will take far too long until I can show the results for other jobs.

I need some work pretty quick. Is it reasonable to expect to get employed with basically knowing only HTML, CSS, some JavaScript, PHP, and MySQL? Plus I am into arts, I like illustrating and designing web sites.

I have a personal web site, there is information about my arts on ksiimson.se/about.html. Only the vector illustrations are recent, others I dug up from my old forum posts on various forums, because I am desperate to show something that I have done... Any hints, help, advice, anything?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kristjans View Post
    when I was 12 years old. When I was 14
    And how old are you now? Still a teenager or are you now an adult? Did you get any formal education in design?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    And how old are you now? Still a teenager or are you now an adult? Did you get any formal education in design?
    Sorry, 20 years old now; I don't have any formal higher education though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I started playing around with Dreamweaver 4 when I was 12 years old. When I was 14, I started picking up HTML and CSS. Not only that - I can script in PHP, and when spending some time reading manuals, I am also able to work with MySQL. Obviously I don't have much problem working with Content Management Systems, forums, etc.
    That's cool.

The problem is that I have never worked on any of large web sites. I am afraid to send my resume anywhere like that.
    If you don't give it a try, how would you know.

I need some work pretty quick. Is it reasonable to expect to get employed with basically knowing only HTML, CSS, some JavaScript, PHP, and MySQL? Plus I am into arts, I like illustrating and designing web sites.
    If you're as good as what your saying, then you should be fine. Some companies offer training before they give you a real job. If your good at photoshop, illustrator or etc. it is a plus point for you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Lately I haven't found many jobs that my skill set would fit into, so I began to think that it would stay that way.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you try to design sites that you can keep yourself and that you can monetize?

Is it because you want to find a working environment with social life and coworkers?
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are jobs that can use someone like you... however you may need to cast a wider geographic net and consider moving if there isn't enough work in your area. Start talking to recruiting firms in your area about your prospects and see what they say.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you seem like a good hire. In the meantime, try trolling CraigsList for project/gigs/consulting contracts. usually, once you do good work for a company, you can be a long term vendor.