SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drupal as a development platform?

If I wanted to write a web application would it be worth it to use Drupal? Or would I be better off with a framework like Zend or Cake?

Drupal seems to give me a lot of stuff "for free" i.e. forums, user authentication, some modules that might be useful. But, drupal is not exactly an MVS framework.

I have heard that drupal can be a pain to work with.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same dilemma a few months ago when I developed a quite big app. I examined all options and decided not to use Drupal, Joomla etc.

My main 'problems' were:
    - too much time to learn the api (cms do not tend to have the greatest documentation with their api's - frameworks have great)
    - did not understand 100% the whole app, when a func is called etc. etc., i would be lost in something simple I would like to do...
    - security: that was the MAIN reason... every month I see core Drupal security announcements...
    - heavy apps, they are very generic content systems, sometimes you like to build something simple and there is no need to auto load 100's of classes...

I decided to build my own 'framework'... actually nothing special... a bootstrapper, template system with includes and all vars into a $tpl table, adodb_lite, some pear classes, simple error logging etc. Not the greatest, but it does the job and it is very lightweight - but I would like to use a framework like Code Igniter (I found Zend too difficult, although I am an experienced programmer - ok not so->object guy )

Of course, there are other programmers that use a cms like drupal, joomla, elxis, postnuke etc. to build applications - it is more how well you know a system and how comfortable and how you like it to extend it... For example, I have created many oscommerce or postnuke or smf sites, but I would not like to build an app on top of them...

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    walterbyrd it depends on how much time you have in your hands. If you have enough then I would recommend to start learning Drupal from a developper point of view, and buy a book on the topic. Because that will be so useful in the future for you for your next projects...
    But if you don't have much time then you should maybe use a framework such as phpcake to get going quickly.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll suggest you CakePHP. It's great framework.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohana is also a very good alternative, i've used it at least on my 2 big projects..

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on a lot of issues. One of the strengths of Drupal as a platform, is that it has a large community. That makes it easier to hire new developers and to find 3-party add-ons. It's focus is more narrow than other general-purpose frameworks, so your application needs to fit into that scope.

Regarding security, it's not my impression that this is that much of an issue these days. The fact that you see security announcement is not necessarily a bad thing in itself. It means that there are developers who actively finds and patches vulnerabilities. As far as I recall it, Drupals policies are quite healthy on this matter.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohana is also a very good alternative, i've used it at least on my 2 big projects..
    I have noticed that there is some kohana wordpress integration. I wonder if there is any potential there?