User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to start Freelancing

Hi,

I have a lots of doubts in my mind on which i need experts advice.

Actually i a software developer have one year of development experience.
    I worked on Web scripting languages link JSP ,PHP and on designing part I worked on DHTML and Java script .

I am looking to start some freelancing for some experience and extra income. Though i have a job but thats not exactly a software development job(Thanks to recession), so that's another reason to do freelancing to keep my developer career alive and I like coding.

Following are my doubts:

1) Do I have good amount of working experience to start: I worked for one year in web development and developed applications like tourist site with login, post comment features and worked on various project in PHP wrote some functions and corrected some bugs. Also worked in Javascript, HTML, CSS here i know about CSS based layout and know about Jquery a Java script framework. Point is I at intermediate level not at expert level i guess.

2) I can give 2 hours a day and 2 days Saturday and Sunday, will it be enough to do some projects, I mean is it a good idea to start it with that much time to devote and people do that?

3) To start it over internet what shall i look for like which sites what resources I can use , where i can look for project.

4) Do i need to have a paypal account? I am still looking what is paypal but need to know do i need to have one?

Experts advice will be very handy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used odesk to start my freelancing. Maybe it could help you too
    Linkw.info

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alihs View Post
    I used odesk to start my freelancing. Maybe it could help you too
    Do i need any paypal account for that and do you think working part time is a good idea

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try craig list to find new projects

http://www.craigslist.org

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try marketplace section of the forums. Sitepoint also have one.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe none of the above or all of the above.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, that's enough to get some work, but not necessarily make a huge amount of money for your time. As you get more time doing it, you can increase your rates.

2) Not for taking on projects that are of any decent size, no. Your best bet is to look for small scripting requests on the job boards and do those well and build up a reputation that might lead to bigger gigs and eventually dumping your day job.

3) oDesk maybe, eLance, getafreelancer, and a few other places will have listings, but be forwarned that many of those listings are going to be crap ones that you have to avoid in order to find the tasks that you'll be able to do in the time you have and get paid a reasonable amount to complete.

4) You don't need a paypal account for many of these job boards, no. The client pays the job board, the job board sends you the money to your bank less their fee.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhsaurabh View Post
    Do i need any paypal account for that and do you think working part time is a good idea
    There are many payment options, paypal is one of them.

Yeah, starting as part-time improves skills and also gives you a portfolio.
    Linkw.info

SitePoint Enthusiast cheap freelancer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can register at freelance website like getafreelnacer.com ,etc and start bidding for all projects posted there . Simple.

SitePoint Enthusiast ButlerPatches's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checkout Elance, Getafreelancer.com, scriptlance.com, build out your profile and start bidding on projects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea you have to at least build you folio so you can get many contacts...the sites they suggested are good places to start.
    sig space open...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhsaurabh View Post
    Hi,

Following are my doubts:

2) I can give 2 hours a day and 2 days Saturday and Sunday, will it be enough to do some projects, I mean is it a good idea to start it with that much time to devote and people do that?
    I try to do some freelance work in my free time. And I must admit that time is my biggest problem. I just donít have enough time to learn and do all the things I wish to. I guess that organization of the work is also very important here but thatís also my problem.
    I want to develop new sites, learn to work better with WP or Drupal, advertise my services, optimize my present sites, search for clients and many more and if I have two hours a day very often I just do nothing.

How do you cope with that - organization of the work?
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    find yourself a reliable agent, most preferably those who work in odd industries that involves the virtual world. use your skills to sell yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been freelancing for the last few years and I'd definitely recommend getting a PayPal account. People will sometimes request to pay with PayPal but more importantly, it allows you to accept credit cards which is a huge convenience. Plus it's free to sign up so you might as well.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rentacoder is a valid way to make some money as a coder but this forum and digitalpoint are good places too, high turnover rate, you are paid as soon as the job is done,