User Tag List

Thread: spyware

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spyware

have you any idea about spyware? can you help me by giving some informations? which spyware is best for a p4 m/c. please help me.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spyware is not good for your PC. I think you are looking for anti-spyware software. I suggest you to use Spy Sweeper Anti-Spyware Software

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or you can save your money and use Windows Defender

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is the person who started this post drunk? I would have thought even if you didn't know what spyware is you could guess by the name it does something invasive and possibly bad, not to mention the fact you could have googled spyware and found millions of articles on the subject explaining how bad it is.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushiku View Post
    Or you can save your money and use Windows Defender
    Windows Defender is a free product from Microsoft, however it does not detect all types of spywares. My home page was hyjacked and SpySweeper found and removed the virus/spyware. Windows defender did not do the trick.

I think there is no harm to have both, windows defender and spy sweeper.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hexforex.com View Post
    Windows Defender is a free product from Microsoft, however it does not detect all types of spywares. My home page was hyjacked and SpySweeper found and removed the virus/spyware. Windows defender did not do the trick.

I think there is no harm to have both, windows defender and spy sweeper.
    Once I get spyware on my computer I just reformat; I have yet to find a program that can ever truely get rid of ALL the spyware that eventually ends up on my computer....

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's nothing to stop you from using multiple anti-spyware programs so that what one misses another will catch.

Sypbot Search & Destroy and Adaware are a couple of additional free ones not previously mentioned in this thread.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb348 View Post
    Once I get spyware on my computer I just reformat; I have yet to find a program that can ever truely get rid of ALL the spyware that eventually ends up on my computer....
    This is the equivalent of tearing down your car's engine and rebuilding it every time you need an oil change - a complete waste of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get rid of spyware by installing anti spyware software on your PC.
    Free and Paid are the 2 options.
    But I would go with the paid option.
    This is because the free one's doesn't provide the real time security.
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Jun 7, 2009 at 14:40. Reason: Affiliate promotion snipped

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found nothing better than Symantec Endpoint Protection. It is enterprise-grade antivirus, antimalware, and optional firewall in one, with real-time protection. And since it's in their business class, it's not full of bloat like the stuff you find in consumer retail stores. It does not slow down my system at all.

Symantec sells it directly in their business store:
    http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/...=1244410846908

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been attacked by spyware last year...and i used Spybot Search & Destroy to clean my PC..

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushiku View Post
    This is the equivalent of tearing down your car's engine and rebuilding it every time you need an oil change - a complete waste of time.
    Nice comparison, couldn't have put it better myself
    I have a friend who works for a cash rich company in Hong Kong, every time his work computer got a trojan or virus they would buy him a new one, sounds good so far doesn't it then he would transfer the stuff from his old pc to his new one, seems the same problem kept recurring, they didn't understand why......

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I've found nothing better than Symantec Endpoint Protection. It is enterprise-grade antivirus, antimalware, and optional firewall in one, with real-time protection. And since it's in their business class, it's not full of bloat like the stuff you find in consumer retail stores. It does not slow down my system at all.
    What is really funny about Symantec is their enterprise level software is second to none yet they put the average user through the most appauling pieces of software known to man (in terms of security), it really boggles my brain how their business solutions can be so right on the money but their consumer products are hidiously underachiving pieces of bloatware.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symantec is too slow and does not detect all types of malwares.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use multiple Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware programs. It is the only way to keep your PC safe as each program will detect different types of those nasty's due to the fact their definitions are all different. I also make sure that every PC I work on and build is equipped with this defense as well.

Here is a list of "free" software that can be downloaded safely at FileHippo.com:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware
    SUPER Anti-Spyware
    Spybot Search & Destroy

Windows Defender (Comes with Vista and Win 7 RC1)
    Spyware Blaster
    CCleaner

These programs can do everything that you need to help keep your PC protected. Why pay high dollar for bloated software that doesn't work quite as well as these? You should ALWAYS make sure that you AV is updated daily along with daily scans of your HD's. Updating the definitions for the programs listed above frequently and running scans frequently will help keep your PC nice and clean!

Quote Originally Posted by mattb348 View Post
    Backing up your HD's by creating images of them is the safest way to go. Once you have a problem you cannot get rid of you can always revert back to that old image. As for me, once I install my OS's (triple boot PC), I make images of each partition once I get my PC the way I want it (ie installing all drivers, programs, etc). It is something I have not done up until this past year and it saves me about 3 days of work.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    What is really funny about Symantec is their enterprise level software is second to none yet they put the average user through the most appauling pieces of software known to man (in terms of security), it really boggles my brain how their business solutions can be so right on the money but their consumer products are hidiously underachiving pieces of bloatware.
    That made me laugh Alex! I could not have said that better myself and if you don't mind I would love to use that line from now on!

Sad thing is, if you are using your PC for home or personal use, why pay for an AV and firewall when you can get the same amount of protection for free? AVG free and Avira free are amazing AV's and the Windows Firewall is good enough to protect you (if you are running behind a hardware firewall such as a router, then there is no need for another firewall other than Windows). If you don't want to use the built in firewall in Windows then try Comodo Firewall.