User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is the best scripting language

HI,

I want opinion from experts that which scripting language is better as I want to start freelancing and want to build my self strong in one scripting language

I had a chance to work in JSP and PHP both but i cant figure out which is better script language and why do we use php and why jsp.

Though, many people i know use PHP but i personally found JSP better as some of frame works are easily available and usable.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would contact some agencies or look online and see where the biggest shortage lies, or where the most work is, that should answer your question if you are looking to pick-up freelance work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the moment if you want something professional you need html, javascript, php, ajax, css. So at first you need to get familiar with these in my opinion. Later you can advance into something else.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I would agree with nofun's advice -
    Quote Originally Posted by nofun View Post
    For the moment if you want something professional you need html, javascript, php, ajax, css. So at first you need to get familiar with these in my opinion. Later you can advance into something else.
    PHP is a server side scripting language and Javascript is a client side scripting language and that should mean and indicate the difference. There are several tasks that can be quite easily accomplished with PHP like db connectivity, CMS implementation and the like.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pick one - either PHP or JSP - it doesn't really matter which unless you have a preference for the size of company you want to work for (since JSP tends to be used by bigger companies and PHP by smaller companies).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel I should point out that JSP isn't really a scripting language, I don't really think PHP falls into that category either. Also JSP alone is just a part of Java. Anyway... Java jobs tend to pay more than PHP jobs but I think as a freelancer you'll probably find more work in PHP since Java jobs are usually larger scale projects that require a team of developers.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to say, no matter what 100&#37; JSP web application is just dumb and stupid. So, if you know JUST JSP then you're not making good web application. If you really just want to learn it quick then go with PHP.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why JSP is not a good scripting language and why 100% JSP applications are dumb and stupid, any base on that point? can you give me some reading on that. Well actually some of my seniors preach JSP so need to give them some proof

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhsaurabh View Post
    Why JSP is not a good scripting language and why 100% JSP applications are dumb and stupid, any base on that point?
    It isn't true so you aren't going to find any proof of it.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, 100&#37; JSP applications are dumb and stupid. An analogy would be that, Java gives you variety of tools to create Web Application. Among those tools, JSP is one of them. Like a tool, it has a use for special purpose and if you miss use it then you're going to break it (literraly). So do you really want to build a house with just 1 tool? To learn more, google "J2EE" then "JSF"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can write an application in 100&#37; JSP but it's not considered good practice. Not to say that it won't work, but it's not taking advantage of what Java has to offer. If you're going to write an application in 100% JSP you might as well just stick with PHP. The only advantage of doing JSP would be to interact with other Java libraries, in which case you should be using servlets, or better yet JSF.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another candidate to consider is Ruby on Rails. I would choose this over PHP.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's PHP. Easy and fast programming language.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is fast and easy to learn, thought structuraly Java based application are more mature.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, to start free lancing I thing its good idea for me to get good grip in php then because i will be working alone and i have seen many small companies use PHP and JSP is usually used by big companies and big development teams.

So for next few months i will stick with PHP then,

Another question i have how is codeigniter as php framework, I tried "symfony" but its comand line is not helping me in windows so i decided to try "codeignitor"

Does codeigniter works well in PHP 5. I want to get good grip on one MVC frame work

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want MVC experience then Ruby on Rail is the best one. You can say it's a mix of Java and PHP. People say PHP is easier and etc... but wait until you try RoR.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The best scripting language is the one you know.
    Stephen J Chapman