User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Hotmail (Live Mail) gets around 50 million uniques per month. It's the second most used webmail client in the world, behind only Yahoo! Mail. It's slightly down in usage from last year, but only by a few percentage points, no indication of some mass exodus like you're claiming.

Gmail by comparison gets only 5-10 million uniques a month.
    That's very interesting, I was under the assumption that the reason Hotmail was below Yahoo! Mail in the user demographics was post the change from their old web client to their new one (it at least felt like it occured the same time Yahoo! Mail reloaded their client and gained further popularity because I distinctly remember reading the support requests for live services a couple of months into the changeover and saw a heck of a lot of complaints that the new look for Hotmail was less usable than the old style, I guess it was just a lot of hot air being blown about if all those threats of moving away to Yahoo! did not pan out as the complainers were intending. Or perhaps people simply had more than one e-mail account, I myself have a hotmail, yahoo and gmail account which I check on a regular basis.

But I do stand by my position that Microsoft have had a lot of difficulty trying to break past Google and Yahoo! to produce leaders in web services, and while Microsoft may get the majority of their funding through software and business / enterprise licensing there is a firm trend I am starting to see of web based services predominantly gaining wider adoption than the standard "offline only" applications, I personally feel that the shift will occur where eventually, web based software will become the default and when it does Microsoft might have some problems as a result. The fact that Microsoft have thrown millions at services only to have them end up melt away due to lack of cultivation is a prime example of this... Just look at what happened to MSN Chat and MSN Groups, Microsoft could not monetise the services due to an underwealming attempt to do anything with it.
    Last edited by AlexDawson; Jun 5, 2009 at 00:37. Reason: Further clarification

SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it also.
    Its good but not better than Google.
    So, I will keep usinng Google.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    ...reading the support requests for [put service here] a couple of months into the changeover and saw a heck of a lot of complaints that the new [service changed what]...
    You will find regardless of who, what, why a company changes any aspect of a long running service you will get those that deem it the end of the world. Yahoo received the same complaints when they updated there mail service just as Microsoft. There is no such thing as 100% consumer satisfactory.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    You will find regardless of who, what, why a company changes any aspect of a long running service you will get those that deem it the end of the world. Yahoo received the same complaints when they updated there mail service just as Microsoft. There is no such thing as 100% consumer satisfactory.
    True but I did notice more than the average level of complaints and moaning than usual when a service updates a changes, which is why I saw fit to mention it. I myself found the new interface to be fairly half baked and I guess that was backed up when Microsoft after a couple of months re-released the new look with some improvements based partially as a result of the tomato throwing going on from its users.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ... Even I tried... but failed.

Not much friendly as that of Google. Google is most friendly, still using it and its gonna be my habit now a days to use Google only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bing is an acronym for "But....It's Not Google!". Very apt as well, I can't find some of my sites on it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's lots of articles floating around the web nowadays comparing Google and Bing like this one. I still vote for Google.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggestion:
    After submitting our sites to bing, let's check in a week or 2 and report back here as to whether our sites are higher in google, yahoo, or bing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally something new from the Big M !

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't open the bing website
    can you tell me how to submit website to the bing ?

SitePoint Enthusiast ArticleScholar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bing isn't even a nice name. I can't imagine people saying "Go Bing it!"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agee with you .
    in Chinese 'bing " means a bad words , like 'dead' "trouble" ,if we say "go bing" to sb ,maybe it means go dead ,it is very terrible ,someone maybe kill me right now

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArticleScholar View Post
    Bing isn't even a nice name. I can't imagine people saying "Go Bing it!"
    People didn't say "Go Yahoo! It" or "Go AltaVista It" yet both those sites once held top market share among searchers. Firefox spread pretty well without people saying "Firefox your computer". Use of a company name as a verb isn't a requisite to using the site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again, I guess I have been using Google for so long I can't really see myself using anything else unless I really have too, and that probably is the situation for most people, familarity is a powerful tool.
    I agree with this point. though Bing is good option but familiarity matters!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People didn't say "Go Yahoo! It" or "Go AltaVista It" yet both those sites once held top market share among searchers. Firefox spread pretty well without people saying "Firefox your computer". Use of a company name as a verb isn't a requisite to using the site
    Of course not, nor did ArticleScholar suggest that people won't use Bing.com because of its name. He simply said he can't imagine Bing rivaling Google as a verb - and that's a very good point.

The fact that Google's name is commonly used as a verb is better publicity than money can buy. Admittedly, it would be tough for anyone to come up with a name that tops Google, and Bing is actually a fairly decent attempt, in my opinion. But it'll probably never fly.

Its interesting that the name Microsoft doesn't appear on Bing's home page or the results pages - except for a little copyright notice at the bottom of the page. That's one of the biggest challenges Bing faces. Like Apple, Google is associated with innovation and customer satisfaction, Microsoft with something else entirely. That's doubtless one reason why Microsoft's third renaming/rebranding attempt settled on a name that doesn't remotely suggest "Microsoft."

If Bing does challenge Google some day, then I suspect people will indeed begin using Bing as a verb. But if Bing can't even top Yahoo, then its name could become synonymous with boing.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbradpitt View Post
    It seems to be really nice, It will definitly give a tough competition to google and yahoo...
    You think, I have seen so many search engines, and everybody seems to be just using Google. I remember one called exalead.com for us europeans, and another one called http://www.cuil.com/. But I still use Google 110% of the time, am I missing something.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bingo Is Also A Play ...i Heard It From A Freind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People did say "Ask Jeeves!" though

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite impress. I still love google more...

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I was a young boy. :-) I use to use alltheweb.com, it was quite good. Then there was one called profusion.com, which combined search results from different browsers. Profusion was actually better than Google at the time, I could find anything. It shut down though. Similar to the browser wars, there was also the search engine wars, and it looks like Google is the winner. I think it would be very hard for anything to compete with it.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    alltheweb was okay, but i liked ixquick more, and it's still working fine today

r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design wise, BING looks promising. But Google is more user-friendly than any other search engine.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markov View Post
    Design wise, BING looks promising. But Google is more user-friendly than any other search engine.
    In what ways, pray tell?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the Blind Search test! Pools Google, Yahoo, and Bing without any branding to distinguish the result sets.

http://blindsearch.fejus.com/
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Take the Blind Search test! Pools Google, Yahoo, and Bing without any branding to distinguish the result sets.

http://blindsearch.fejus.com/
    That's a pretty nifty tool. My result preference came out as being Google.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble